No announcement yet.

Hit and dont get hit = Skill, Being a pressure fighter = 1 demensional

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
    How do you guys figure that? those are just two different styles, both are skilled. yes it does take skills to be on your toes have a tight defense and play high speed chess, no doubt.

But there is also another element to the game, example Marvin Hagler, Mike Tyson, those guys, who were able to make it a dog fight and go in there for the killing, willing to take one shot to get of a equally good shot or better.

So how the hell can you guys sit back and claim that fighters with a boxers style in which they hit and dont get hit is skill, yet the other style is Not skills? I mean it takes skills to win a fight, how you win it and what skills you use to win it is just a matter of difference in styles.

But really I want to know why you claim its one demensional?
    I agree with you. They are just two different ways to approach a fight. Hitting and not getting hit usually means that the hits are quicker but not as powerful because you have to be able to pull the punches back and evade counters while reassuming a defensive posture at the same time.

Being a pressure fighter usually means that you sit on your punches and keep throwing like you are hitting a punching bag. You may get tagged a bit more because you are close for one, and you also are sitting down on your punches more which makes it harder to pull them back especially if you miss.

What usually tends to happen though is that the pressure fighter can wear down the quick, evasive guy by using his weight by leaning on the opponent and his power-packed punches have a cummulative effect that makes it hard to "hit and not get hit" as the fight progresses.

Cotto-Margs I is a good example and Rios-Acosta is another good one. Floyd would have worn down had his fight with Ortiz gone the distance....he was getting pinned against the ropes and wasn't looking too hot there.

It's one-dimensional from the cpu chair or the couch but not so much when you are in round 5 of a fight and finding yourself almost unable to lift your arms up due to the beating they are taking.

Comment

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
      How do you guys figure that? those are just two different styles, both are skilled. yes it does take skills to be on your toes have a tight defense and play high speed chess, no doubt.

But there is also another element to the game, example Marvin Hagler, Mike Tyson, those guys, who were able to make it a dog fight and go in there for the killing, willing to take one shot to get of a equally good shot or better.

So how the hell can you guys sit back and claim that fighters with a boxers style in which they hit and dont get hit is skill, yet the other style is Not skills? I mean it takes skills to win a fight, how you win it and what skills you use to win it is just a matter of difference in styles.

But really I want to know why you claim its one demensional?
      Hit and dont get hit just means you are terriified of being hit like Floyd is.
      But Floyd vs Hatton was terrible refereeing because you got a boxer and a pressure fighter, and the ref wouldnt allow the pressure style, so ruined the fight.

Comment

I absolutely think that being a pressure fighter is a skill, shoot not everyone has the ability and toughness to be a pressure fighter. I think where people really criticize pressure fighters is not that they are unskilled, it's that a lot of them can only fight one way and therefore they have trouble adapting when they are in there with a style that does not fit them well.

TS brought up Hagler ( who is absolutely one of my favorite fighters and one of the toughest dudes to ever step into a ring), and Hagler really could adapt and box better than most pressure fighters, but look at his fight with Ray Leonard. Now let's not even get into the outcome because we could start a whole new thread about who really won that fight, but at the end of the day Hagler simply did not adapt to what Leonard was doing (which was essentially running and flurrying at the end of rounds), but still he didn't adapt.

Other guys like Margarito, yes tough dude and his style of pressure is absolutely a skill set, but that is absolutely the only way he knows how to fight and he simply cannot adapt regardless of who he is in there with.

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post
          I think the difference is boxing and fighting. The art of boxing is to hit and not get hit.

Anyone can fight not everyone can box.
          Ya but if you can "fight" or brawl in the ring and beat good boxer then it is also part of the "science" of boxing and they are just a different kind of boxer

Comment

the thing is that potshotting is actually easier than pressure fighting, yet everyone in this forum seems to think potshotting = super skills while pressure fighting = bum

anyone that has boxed knows, try throwing one or two punches then running off into your defence, now try outworking and ko the guy, floyd(super-mega-ultra skilled boxer) knows this first hand when everytime he tries to pressure a guy ends up on queer street
            what happened to his super defence?

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
              the thing is that potshotting is actually easier than pressure fighting, yet everyone in this forum seems to think potshotting = super skills while pressure fighting = bum

anyone that has boxed knows, try throwing one or two punches then running off into your defence, now try outworking and ko the guy, floyd(super-mega-ultra skilled boxer) knows this first hand when everytime he tries to pressure a guy ends up on queer street
              I agree that potshotting is much easier, no doubt, a banger who sits inside the eye of the storm takes many more risk himself, while the potshotter doesnt even like to go out in the rain

Comment

Originally posted by SincereDaGreat View Post
                Both take skill but u can go to your local bar, club and find guys who brawl...hitting and not getting hit is definitely the harder skill to learn...especially when u can stick to the game plan against a brawler!!
                But will they win the fight? It takes skills to hit and dodge but it also takes skills to hit ur opponent. If ur style is to brawl u have to find a way to land your punches or else u won't win. It takes skills to do both whether ur style is brawl or slick.

Comment

Fine, pressure fighter is 3-dimensional, and hit and not be hit is 4 dimensional

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post

I have to diagree to an extent. If that was the case everyone would pot shot. You have to be willing to dive into your opponent and defensively capable to avoid a counter going in and getting out. If timed right a pot shotter could end up on the knockout real of good counter puncher. Floyd/ Roy are exceptions because they were both naturally capable of going in and getting out in time but more times then not you either get smashed or you look like andre dirrell(falling down everytime you miss the shot) which hardly makes you look good in the judges eyes. I do agree you have to be tougher to be a stalker but I wouldnt necessarily call it a better skill. I will say though that if you are naturally fast and elusive, pot shotting is a lot easier but most guys arent that swift and ring savy.
                    Last edited by Shogunofharlem1; 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Calling pressure fighters one dimensional is, in itself, one dimensional.

Good job.

Comment

Working...
                      X