No announcement yet.

Your not muhammad ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your not muhammad ali

Yesterday i sparred for the first time in the gym. I prefer to box and move around. My hands are usually not covering my face as i finds that it limits my movements and i just feel awkward with my hands at my face.

The boxing coach is pretty unhappy and constantly tells me i am not muhammad ali and asks me to keep my hands up...

I started boxing 2 years ago, joined for 1 month, quit for 2 years, and about a month ago, my friends and i brought gloves to school to spar. I've always used a style similar to muhammad ali, floy may weather...

What should i do? I don't think i want to ever switch styles..

Many things you do in boxing are not natural and feel awkward at first. You havent even developed a "style" with one month of training. Listen to YOUR boxing coach. I'm damn certain he knows more about the game than you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Uselesspoop View Post
      Yesterday i sparred for the first time in the gym. I prefer to box and move around. My hands are usually not covering my face as i finds that it limits my movements and i just feel awkward with my hands at my face.

The boxing coach is pretty unhappy and constantly tells me i am not muhammad ali and asks me to keep my hands up...

I started boxing 2 years ago, joined for 1 month, quit for 2 years, and about a month ago, my friends and i brought gloves to school to spar. I've always used a style similar to muhammad ali, floy may weather...

What should i do? I don't think i want to ever switch styles..
      It's your first time sparring. You don't even have a style. Ask the trainer to put you in with a guy who has over 3 fights and see what he does to you.

When you're that new you HAVE to keep your hands up, you're just not good or experienced enough to avoid all the shots with your reflexes. It only takes one good one to get through.

Comment

thats what every coach is saying to people that havent proven themselfs and drop their hands in sparring. ive been told that as well, everybody drops their hands. and your coach is right when he says that. youre not ali. only skilled fighters like sergio martinez can get away with dropping their hands like that, it takes many years (if youre gonna get it at all) to have this ability. if you do that early on you will get used to it without even having the skills to do that and the first time you spar somebody who can really box he will pick you apart.

so get used to placing your hands on your face and build a shell when danger is imminent. you dont have to run around in a peek a boo style but in close range do whats best for you and protect your face properly, so get your hands up. once you get used to the timing, once you understand anticipating shots and once you see them coming you can start dropping your hands a little and instead move your head and then counter. but again, you cant do any of that right now if you just started out with sparring. keep sparring and eventually you will get there

Comment

It means you have to crawl before you walk.

eventually you will develop your true style but start with the basics .

Comment

thank you very much guys, i finally understand his reasons now. i will try to remember to keep my hands up. thanks!

Comment

I must admit, I do find it very annoying when inexperienced lads try to be all fancy.

I coach a guy who also thinks he his Muhammed Ali. He just won't keep his front hand up. I wouldn't mind if he knew what he was doing (I'm happy for some of our boxers to keep their hands down at times - but these lads know what they are doing). What annoys me the most about him is that he is more concerned about looking the part than actually using this style to beat his opponents.

Do you fight with your hands down because you genuinely find you are more effective or because you think it makes you LOOK more stylish?

If your coach wants you to fight with the high guard then do as he says. Ask yourself this: Who knows more about boxing? If you know more than him, find a new coach.

Another point worth mentioning, most coaches like to work with lads who listen to them. I will always go out of my way to make time for lads who listen. If a boxer doesn't listen to me, what is the point of me trying to teach him???

Good luck.

Comment

dang how could anyone be like muhammad ali ? only if you were stupid would you want such a thing

Comment

@TheAuthority

thanks for your input! Honestly, i feel that it is more effective for me when i have my hands down at my chest level. I naturally like to move around and love to jab alot.

Being fancy is not important to me. I love the way Mike Tyson fights but i never try to follow his way because it just doesn't feel right.

I am more of a defensive counter puncher and i like pernell whitaker/floyd/muhammad ali.

thanks all and now i will try my best to follow my coach wishes and keep my hands up all time!

Comment

op, post back here after a sparring session with a serious amature

....hes going to be like ; bc ur leaving ur face open and ur just depending on reflex.

some people can get away with it, but very few.

keep ur guard up.

after u learn ur range and ur oppenents, u can drop ur hand if ur out of his range, but b sure to throw ur gaurd up as he closes in (which a lot of times can b faster than u notice; therefore ur getting slumpd )

good luck with ur boxing goals for 2011

Comment

Working...
                    X