Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does high humidity have detrimental effects on a person's cardio?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does high humidity have detrimental effects on a person's cardio?

I'm fighting in Malaysia in October, humidity for that time of year will be close to 100%. I train in 30 50% humidity.

Will this affect my performance? And how can I counteract any detrimental effects?

It makes you fitter if you were to move back to rainy cold england for example. Cause when you train in the heat, you get less oxygen and your body works harder or something, thats what I got told anyway. (this also means it harder to train/perform in the heat). However, I also got told by my dad, that training in the heat is just harder, it doesn't affect your fitness.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey gomez View Post
      I'm fighting in Malaysia in October, humidity for that time of year will be close to 100%. I train in 30 50% humidity.

Will this affect my performance? And how can I counteract any detrimental effects?
      The biggest effect it has is on your bodys ability to remove heat. In case you didn't know your body removes heat through evaporation. That is what sweat is for. However, in higher humidities, the Air does not have to ability to absorb any more water vapor and hence little to no evaporation takes place.

You over heat easily and take a long time to cool down. No effects on your cardio, just your body temperature. Also, as your body temperature rises, your muscle efficiency goes down the toilet giving the feeling of having your "strength sapped".

The best thing you can do is make sure you don't over exert yourself and make sure your corner has lots of VERY cold water to poor on your head between rounds.

Comment

I would try to go there for while before the fight to help you get used to it. Aside from that, what the other guys said, lots of water...

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
          The biggest effect it has is on your bodys ability to remove heat. In case you didn't know your body removes heat through evaporation. That is what sweat is for. However, in higher humidities, the Air does not have to ability to absorb any more water vapor and hence little to no evaporation takes place.

You over heat easily and take a long time to cool down. No effects on your cardio, just your body temperature. Also, as your body temperature rises, your muscle efficiency goes down the toilet giving the feeling of having your "strength sapped".

The best thing you can do is make sure you don't over exert yourself and make sure your corner has lots of VERY cold water to poor on your head between rounds.
          Thanks Shawn, excellent advice as usual. Can't give you karma so take a gift instead.

I was concerned that the moisture ridden air would have hampered my cardio. I think I can combat the heat, I do my roadwork at midday when the sun is at it's harshest, I will also as you recommended bring plenty of ice water to the ring for between rounds.

Comment

Working...
          X