No announcement yet.

Personal memories of a fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Yeah, he's never seemed the type to forgive and play nice. He's just an ornery mother fucker.

His half Brother Robbie Simms was the same way. I went to Petronelli's gym to spar one time (before we found out it would be with Stevie Collins) and Simms was just miserable. I guess I can chalk that up to he was working and and didn't want to be bothered, but at the same time Collins was nice as pie and worked with me the entire time I was there.
    Something about him I never liked. He seemed to whine and make excuses after every loss. I remember when he clearly lost to Pazienza he still claimed he was robbed . I hate when fighters do that.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Something about him I never liked. He seemed to whine and make excuses after every loss. I remember when he clearly lost to Pazienza he still claimed he was robbed . I hate when fighters do that.

I never saw that fight on tv but I was at it live and you're right, Simms clearly lost. In his defense though, it had to be tough being so much less talented, making so much less money and being in Marvin's shadow all those years.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        Being able to talk with Ron Lyle would be an awesome conversation. How long did you get to talk? What did you guys talk about?
        Ron Lyle is one hell of a nice guy, but something about him just sent shivers down my spine. We actually talked about boxing history, our top 10 lists in heavyweight, and i asked him so conditioning and training tips. After that he wanted to know more about me and was convincingly interested. I would definitely make the trip to Denver to talk to him again. I also like what he is doing with his boxing center. Good for the community he is in.

Then when i met Marvin, i was actually visiting some old friends back in Brockton and i ran into him at a small restaurant. We talked, he asked about where i was from in brockton, we talked about the area in general, i asked him how thigns are going in Milan, then i talked about the elephant in the room. saying; "You kicked Leonards Ass". He said, "Dont gotta tell me twice, man. **** Sugar Gay Leonard!" I actually had some blue and white boxing shorts that i got him sign the next day at a local gym. Its not that he wasnt nice, he seemed quite pleasant to me, just anti-social and bitter. Especially boxing, he still loves it like any otherman who has been in the ring would, but he seemed pissed at it.

it was an honor to shake his hand. His hand was way bigger than mine. If you ever shake a newborn's hand, imagine the newborn as me, and you as ron lyle.

Comment

Working...
        X