No announcement yet.

Measured Against All Time - Evander Holyfield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measured Against All Time - Evander Holyfield

By Cliff Rold - Just a week ago, Christmas only days away, it was a gift he watched someone else unwrap. At the end of twelve rounds, Evander Holyfield was in the eyes of many denied a victory against current WBA titlist Nicolay Valuev. The performance was unexpected. For much of this decade, rightly so, fans and pundits alike have wondered when the old man would finally call it a day. With a record of 5-6-1 from 2001 forward, Holyfield has been a shell of the fighter he once was.

He’s still only a shell. Valuev, slow, ponderous and probably under-motivated for a fight he originally expressed no interest in, provided a canvas for Holyfield to paint another great underdog story on in a career full of them. It was not a great fight. There was a mirage quality to it all; a shadow against the flickering light of yesterday dancing much larger than its true size for a single Swedish night.

But it did dance.

After so many years of asking when he’d stop it was a night to celebrate what Holyfield once was one more time. It was good enough to end for a moment the question of when he’ll leave and just appreciate what he’s meant to the sport of Boxing. Nearly twenty-five years since emerging at the famed Los Angeles Olympiad, the question is asked: [details]

Holy is mos def an ATG. If only he woulda gotten the nod against Valuev, he mighta finally retired. Now he'll probably fight on even longer.

Comment

good article, these measured against all time pieces ae pretty in depth and good to read the one on mosley will be interesting

Comment

Great article man. Well written, detailed and informative. Keep it up.

Comment

great work! regards

Comment

Great work Cliff. This format is a terrific idea.

It saddens me greatly that Holyfield is still fighting today, but I like to concentrate on the Holyfield of the 80's and 90's, a fighter who proved their greatness several times against quality opponent after quality opponent. Undoubtedly the greatest Cruiserweight of all time as well as a heavyweight who in his prime would have dominated the division if it had been in the state it is today.

Although he was robbed last week hopefully he finally retires now and doesn't give us another reason to forget the great fighter he once was.

Comment

Monk:
              Don't know if he'd dominate. Vitali-Holy is a good fight.

Comment

1. Ali
                2. Joe Loius
                3. Holyfield
                I could get all Bert Sugar on you and talk about the Dempseys and Jack Johnsons, and they were maybe as good as Evander for there time. and thats how it should be measured but Real Deal is still way up there

Comment

Originally posted by totalstranga View Post
                  1. Ali
                  2. Joe Loius
                  3. Holyfield
                  I could get all Bert Sugar on you and talk about the Dempseys and Jack Johnsons, and they were maybe as good as Evander for there time. and thats how it should be measured but Real Deal is still way up there
                  No need to get Sugarish; Johnson's record speaks for itself. His pre-title wins against guys like Langford, Jeanette etc. are awesome. Holyfield was just a little too inconsistent, at Heavyweight, to merit top four or five. Foreman's split career is great and the Holmes reign, through 83, was really quite strong. Top tenish is praise enough IMO.

Comment

yeah I feel ya. I'd put Foreman and Holmes at 4 and 5 in my book. and Jack Johnson was the man. Holy just did in modern times what has yet to be done sucessfully(RJJ and my man Toney aside). and that is to be the man coming up from a lighter weight and to dominate. I guess I know how Ruby Roberts fans felt 100 years ago

Comment

Working...
                    X