Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” - Moving on When Floyd, Manny Are Gone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” - Moving on When Floyd, Manny Are Gone

by David P. Greisman - Allow me, for a moment, to recall two brief conversations that took place during another great weekend of boxing.

One friend, a fellow reporter, told me of the results of an informal poll he’d conducted, asking which pay-per-view fight his readers were most looking forward to. An overwhelming majority picked the bout between 140-pound titleholders Danny Garcia and Lucas Matthysse, and not the main event from that same broadcast pitting Canelo Alvarez against Floyd Mayweather, nor either of the other two upcoming major matches, Timothy Bradley vs. Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao vs. Brandon Rios. I agreed with them.

Another acquaintance sounded somewhat surprised when I told him I was no longer as excited about Mayweather’s and Pacquiao’s fights as I once might have been.

It wasn’t intended to be a knock on their talents or their personalities. They remain two of the biggest stars in this sport, with legions of fans who will pay hundreds or thousands to travel just to see them perform, and with millions more staying home on a couple Saturdays each year to watch pay-per-view shows that are essentially the Super Bowl of The Sweet Science.

Their storylines are still compelling. Mayweather, his legacy long ago secured, is finishing his career with a string of huge paydays. That includes this September’s fight with a younger, heavier, hard-punching junior middleweight in Alvarez, who also happens to be the biggest boxing star in Mexico and who is increasingly popular within the United States. [Click Here To Read More]

Some people think boxing will be better off when Mayweaher and Pacquiao are gone but I'd have to disagree. The talent and skill that these guys have put on display is far superior to many of these up and coming fighters. When I look at these young guys coming up I see a lot of potential but I don't see the rare talent that I see in Floyd and Manny. Most of these young guys are good but I don't see any who are great.

The ongoing feud and speculation about a potential superfight between these two has also brought upon a new interest in the sport that hasn't been seen in several years. Together Floyd and Manny have somewhat brought the sport back to it's former glory. Although the sport is not as big as it was in the days of Tyson, Ali, and Leonard these guys have helped to recapture some of that lost magic. When they are gone boxing is in trouble.

Comment

They're not going anywhere for years.

Comment

Luc Matty will carry the day.

Comment

Great post John...what Mayweather then Pacuiao have done to bring boxing back to mainstream has been huge the past 6-7years. Boxing fizzled out whn the drama king Tyson got old then we had the Lewis, RJJ Jr, Hopkns, De La Hoya Mosley era.
          After the De La Hoya fight nd HBO 24/7 with 50 Cent, Floyd took the throne n became a phenomon. With WWe appearances, and the ubdefeated streak vs streak with Gatton was great. Then, Pacquiao was the underdog king beatin De La Hoya, then appearances in Jimmy Kimmel, time magazine, Champs ports lotjg lines etc....
          De La Hota was the ONE who ade both Floyd & Pacquiao stars

It will be very difficult for these new fighters to do what these 2 have done: Broner, Canelo, Matthyse, GGG, Rigo, donaire, garcia, ward, bradley
          I tink Broner has the best shot of being the next PPV star with his who,e gimmik, Canelo 2nd w. his mexican following and GGG with his whole Borat accent lmao jk

Comment

Someone will always take the throne. People said after Oscar that would be it as well. Nonsense.

Comment

Won't be Garcia and it won't be Broner...don't see either man staying undefeated long enough to become that level of star.

Comment

I don't think the favouring of Mathysse vs Garcia is a changing of the guard thing. Floyd vs Canelo is the big attraction and will be absolutely massive amongst casual viewers. Mathysse vs Garcia is a fans fight.

Comment

Aaahhhhh the day Pacquiao retires will be a day to treasure, no more chumps boasting how "great" he is.. It's a pity his name will forever be in the history books, I just hope he gets caught out like Lance Armstrong/ Marion Jones and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddysback View Post
                    Aaahhhhh the day Pacquiao retires will be a day to treasure, no more chumps boasting how "great" he is.. It's a pity his name will forever be in the history books, I just hope he gets caught out like Lance Armstrong/ Marion Jones and so forth.
                    Pacman the greatest to ever lace up a pair of gloves.. Deal with it Hattonite.. hahahahahhaaha

Comment

Working...
                    X