Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has Martinez been so damn good at 160?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr LarryX View Post
    Hell Macklin has fought better fighters then Pirog and Golovkin combined
    LOL and the Golovkin fanaticism is a relatively new phenomenon.

Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
    just looking at his last 3 fights, none of those guys are top fighters, maybe that would explain it!
    You mean Matthew Macklin, should've-been WBA champ?

I don't think Mack is a pushover...might not be a world-class beater but he's not a bum by any means. I agree that the Barker fight was kind of silly, more of a tune-up for a guy who probably shouldn't be tuning up this late in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
      euro bums & a mexcian hype job? That'll do the trick every time.
      Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
      Hopkins faced a lot of bums at middleweight as well. Martinez (like Hopkins) is calling out WWs too.
      hahahahahah lol Thats true!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr LarryX View Post
        Hell Macklin has fought better fighters then Pirog and Golovkin combined
        Who??? Felix Sturm??? all kknow that Golovkin and Pirog are better than Macklin, and both have belts at the time. And Pirog offered him 3 millons to fight him and a unification

Comment

Besides him being the better fighter/athlete, I'd say his advantage at 160 is being a quicker, smaller fight with incredible stamina fighting against guys killing themselves just be able to fight at 160, leaving them sluggish and lacking endurance. They have the strength of a smw/cw but they can't keep up with the old man.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
            Hopkins faced a lot of bums at middleweight as well. Martinez (like Hopkins) is calling out WWs too.
            Which euro bums did hopkins fight again at 160?

Also, hopkins fought every single #1 challenger in his 10+ year reign. Martinez has not obviously.

Sergio's best win at MW to date is Kelly Pavlik. After that's it's a tough call, Macklin probably I'd say.

Could you imagine hopkins vs chavez jr at 160? lol that would be worse than hakkar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
              His fights against Richard Williams were some of my favorites, watch I and II,

Dude is a beast......haters will hate and speculate.........Martinez will win.

Comment

I think he was always great but like everyone it took a little time for him to get the experience and he started late. He only came to the US 5 years ago with the exception of the Margarito fight early in his career so it took a while for people to get to know him here and the opportunities to fight better know fighters...so it's only recent that he's been getting his due. His pre-boxing background in soccer and as a pro cyclist gave him the disciple and stamina for endurance and speed training which is what makes him so great and gives him such an advantage over most. He's only starting to make money now at a later age like it was for Bernard Hopkins...which kept him motivated instead of complacent...so yeah his coming into his own now and it's great to watch.

Comment

Working...
                X