Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did a fight between Johnny Tapia and Mark Johnson never happen? who would win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did a fight between Johnny Tapia and Mark Johnson never happen? who would win?

This is a fight I would have loved to see in the mid-late 90's....both were the best talents of their eras IMO at flyweight-bantamweight.....in their primes they were always seperated by 3 pounds....I think this would have been one of the best most highly skilled fights there ever would have been.

Honestly not sure who I'd favor....I always go back and fortth
    Johnson
    50.00%
    Tapia
    25.00%
    too close to call, could be a draw
    25.00%

wow I cant believe no one wanted to see this fight happen....I guess the little guys get no love

Comment

It didn't happened because Tapia flat out ducked him. RIP to Mi Vida Loca awesome fighter and worthy enough to be in the HOF ballot. But, shamefully ducked Too Sharp.

And, I think Johnson would have won by decision against Tapia at 115 if they would have fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
        It didn't happened because Tapia flat out ducked him. RIP to Mi Vida Loca awesome fighter and worthy enough to be in the HOF ballot. But, shamefully ducked Too Sharp.

And, I think Johnson would have won by decision against Tapia at 115 if they would have fought.
        He also ducked Naseem Hamed like JuanMarpiss.

Comment

A lot of people didn't want to fight Mark Johnson back then, Johnny Tapia was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post

I used to hear he flat out ducked him but IDK....you know boxing is full of politics and hidden agendas....I think Johnson could have won becuase he was the harder puncher although Tapia was a hair faster but both had good chins, speed and defense....I think it wouldve been close either way

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
              A lot of people didn't want to fight Mark Johnson back then, Johnny Tapia was one of them.
              much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
                marquez didnt duck hamed.

but on topic, a lot of ppl avoided mark johnson thats a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post

true they did, I think he meant Hamed ducked Marquez.....kinda hard to duck someone who wasnt a big name....Hamed cleaned out featherweight from 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
                    Tapia ducked Hamed?

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    true they did, I think he meant Hamed ducked Marquez.....kinda hard to duck someone who wasnt a big name....Hamed cleaned out featherweight from 1996-2000
                    JMM turned down 400K to fight Hamed back in 2000...Nacho said it wasn't "worth it" and didn't have the "energy, after the negotiations". JMM said he needed more time.
                    Last edited by Roman Moreno; 05-31-2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X