Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a serious question. Why is Cotto so hated by some?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a serious question. Why is Cotto so hated by some?

I'll start of by saying that I'm from Puerto Rico, but I am objective and tell things like I perceive them. I must say that I have never found Cotto to be very "friendly" like Trinidad or Gómez were, so I never developed that affinity like with those two. Sometimes, I have even felt that Cotto has been arrogant in interviews and flat out refused to be the succesor of Trinidad, which is his prerogative and I respect that, but I can understand why even some of us don't feel the same from him as we did with Trinidad.

That being said, Cotto has all my respect and admiration for his skills and fighting spirit. Say what you will about him as a person, but his courage and heart is unquestionable. He only "quit" one time in a fight that was a lost cause. The guy just did not have strength to fight back any more. Still, all the wars against Malignaggi, Judah, Mosley, Clottey, etc. seem to be overlooked.

Even if he "quit" against Margarito (I'm not even getting into the possible handwrap issue), he deserves props for what he has shown in other bouts. One fight does not make a whole career. Chavez quit against DLH in the second fight and nobody questions his courage, and neither do I. Erik Morales, who's one of my favorite fighters ever, "quit" against Pacquiao in the third fight and no one holds that against him. Even Roberto Durán, who's one of my absolute favorites ever, quit against Leonard and that did not hurt his legacy in the long run. I don't know, I think that with some objectivity, several fans would understand better and appreciate the efforts of a ring warrior.
    Last edited by Exciterx30; 11-27-2011, 07:08 PM.

He is hated by the Mexicans because he is Puerto Rican and is hated/discredited by many Mayweather fans because he was a Pac opponent

Comment

Honestly, minus the wraps scandal, I think Cotto simply lost to Margarito.

I don't think he quit. He was a bloody mess and his legs were gone as well as his punch. I never really understood the quit thing. The fight was over. Cotto could do no more but take more punches. Unless fighters are measured on how many punches they can take, I don't think Cotto waving the white flag was quitting.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post

I don't think he quit. He was a bloody mess and his legs were gone as well as his punch. I never really understood the quit thing. The fight was over. Cotto could do no more but take more punches. Unless fighters are measured on how many punches they can take, I don't think Cotto waving the white flag was quitting.
        That's what I stated in the second paragraph of my initial post. He had nothing left and it was a lost cause. To me, quitting is what Campas did against Daniel Santos. Stating this without an interest in causing a stir or attacking Mexicans, that was a picture perfect case of quitting.

Comment

Exactly. First of all he was already beat to a pulp but Margs punches obviously werent going to Knock Cotto out cold because he could easily see them coming. Why stand there and get beat up for 2 more rounds for no reason? So you can have a broken eye socket like marg did in the Pac fight?

Comment

Agree with that, in their last fight it was beaten out of him, he did quit with Pac I mean he disengaged all together and just stopped fighting.

I dont hate Cotto, I am sick of his fans who seem to have some serious issues with race.

Comment

It all comes down to whether or not you wax your eyebrows...

Comment

I have no issues with him, matterfact, I kinda like him for fighting everyone.

I like laughing at his fanboys though.

Comment

Agree with TS, Miguel is a warrior and always in entertaining fights don't see why anyone wouldn't like him.

Comment

No clue really..

I think people just naturally like going against the grain..He's given us some pretty good wars to go back and watch like Torres, Mosley, Judah, Clottey, Margarito, etc.

I notice it's mostly Margarito fans who bash him, yet when the counter-argument you brought up about Duran, Chavez, Morales, etc they either make themselves look stupid or come with excuses of being past prime..yet Vazquez quit in the first Marquez fight and that was a prime Duran who pulled a 'No Mas'..

I just ignore it now, since I do believe they simply do it out of envy, and for attention..In this generation of people it's "cool" to be a hater, the b!tchasness that's justified is hilarious, now it's "OK" to be jealous or downplay another man's accomplishments like Women do, and their counter to that is.."eyebrow plucking"..again somethin Abner Mares and Chris Arreola do themselves..but because they're Mexican-Americans the Margarito fans ignore that and find it quite alright.

Comment

Working...
                    X