No announcement yet.

I wanna ift weights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna ift weights

I wanna lift weights to help gain physical power, and become rock ****ing solid, , I don't want to bulk up... just be able to have lot's of strength.

I know my punching power will Mainly come from My technique, but I refuse to believe that it's the only factor in determining how hard I hit.

I'm curious if I should be

-lifting 100 pound weights for 2 minutes

-Lifting 50 pound weight for 20 minutes

-Lifting 5 pound weights for 80 minutes.

(Just a hypothetical situation as I don't know how much i can lift and each exercise varies)

should I be buying protein... and is it alright if i just get whey protein?
    Last edited by Be_kind_rewind; 07-06-2011, 02:41 AM.

you should find a weight you can only do once (your one rep max (1RM)) and then do 85% of that 5 times, rest , do it another 5 times untill you have done 5 sets of 5 reps.

how many times a week can you lift?

another way of training with weights is to do 50% of your 1RM but do it explosively 5 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Be_kind_rewind View Post
      I wanna lift weights to help gain physical power, and become rock ****ing solid, , I don't want to bulk up... just be able to have lot's of strength.

I know my punching power will Mainly come from My technique, but I refuse to believe that it's the only factor in determining how hard I hit.

I'm curious if I should be

-lifting 100 pound weights for 2 minutes

-Lifting 50 pound weight for 20 minutes

-Lifting 5 pound weights for 80 minutes.

(Just a hypothetical situation as I don't know how much i can lift and each exercise varies)

should I be buying protein... and is it alright if i just get whey protein?

You should go pick up some literature on weightlifting for strength. None of what you said is even close to any sort of good weight lifting program.

Comment

weightlifting isn't by time it's by the amout of weight u can lift per reps LOL

Comment

give the kid a chance. acturaly alot of programs recomend going for time, not reps, but these are usuraly circuit training routines (not always). generaly though the higher weight the better

Comment

Originally posted by josh-hill View Post
            you should find a weight you can only do once (your one rep max (1RM)) and then do 85% of that 5 times, rest , do it another 5 times untill you have done 5 sets of 5 reps.

another way of training with weights is to do 50% of your 1RM but do it explosively 5 times.

^^^ This. That will build some explosive power but with explosive training comes the explosive muscle build. So keep that in mind.

Comment

if you dont want to gain size, you wont. just dont eat much. pro bodybuilders manage to put on 12lbs a year mostly. and those guys do everything perfectly. if you want to stay the same size, just eat less. putting on muscle is hard work, but maintaining it is even harder (metabolically) so your body wont put it on unless you eat enough food. also training in the upper weight range (85%) encourages myofibrilar growth (this is the contractile protein in the muscle) and makes you stronger and more explosive, but wont acturaly gain much size. most size comes from sarcoplasmic growth wich is the 'extra' stuff in the muscle. it wont make you stronger, just heavier. but this is triggered on lower weights in the 8-12 rep range. obviously however you lift, you will trigger both (and you need both anyway) but train in the higher weight ranges for maximum results.

confused? good. it gets worse

your body also dosnt like using all your muscle at once so it dosnt. by training the central nervous system (cns) you can teach your body to use all the muscle, making it stronger and faster, without ANY increase in actual strength or size. this CNS growth is maximised at higher weights as the body needs to use all of the muscle to move the weight, and gets used to using all the muscle. this is what (i think) explosive training dose too. by using all of the muscle more often your body gets better at recruiting the whole muscle all of the time, instead of just parts.

@flicker i havnt done alot of research into explosive lifts, but have heard they are great. do these causes noticeable gains in size? i presumed because the stress is lower (compared to other weights) the actural muscle growth rate is lower but that they help the muscle get used to moving explosively ? humm, looks like i have something else to research

Comment

Originally posted by bernardotelo View Post
                weightlifting isn't by time it's by the amout of weight u can lift per reps LOL

it's i said it was hypothetic it was just easier for me to ask what i shoud be looking for in terms of lifting... I've never lifted using time in my life.

Comment

@flicker i havnt done alot of research into explosive lifts, but have heard they are great. do these causes noticeable gains in size? i presumed because the stress is lower (compared to other weights) the actural muscle growth rate is lower but that they help the muscle get used to moving explosively ? humm, looks like i have something else to research

Yeah, because fast twitch muscle grows larger than slow twitch muscle. I don't exactly know why but the fast twitch muscle fibers grow larger. Look at the thighs of 100m olympic sprinters, large. For a boxing example, look at Mike Tyson or Shane Mosley.

It also depends on the weight as well. If you lift 1rm like that, then your body is going to get big like Tyson or Berto. If you even it out with cardio, Shane Mosley. Those are just some examples.

Your right too though. Eating plays a big factor in it as well. If you don't get enough protein, no matter how much you do, your muscles won't be able to rebuild larger but that also means your hard work was for nothing.

Comment

if you dont want to gain size, you wont. just dont eat much. pro bodybuilders manage to put on 12lbs a year mostly. and those guys do everything perfectly. if you want to stay the same size, just eat less. putting on muscle is hard work, but maintaining it is even harder (metabolically) so your body wont put it on unless you eat enough food. also training in the upper weight range (85%) encourages myofibrilar growth (this is the contractile protein in the muscle) and makes you stronger and more explosive, but wont acturaly gain much size. most size comes from sarcoplasmic growth wich is the 'extra' stuff in the muscle. it wont make you stronger, just heavier. but this is triggered on lower weights in the 8-12 rep range. obviously however you lift, you will trigger both (and you need both anyway) but train in the higher weight ranges for maximum results.

confused? good. it gets worse

your body also dosnt like using all your muscle at once so it dosnt. by training the central nervous system (cns) you can teach your body to use all the muscle, making it stronger and faster, without ANY increase in actual strength or size. this CNS growth is maximised at higher weights as the body needs to use all of the muscle to move the weight, and gets used to using all the muscle. this is what (i think) explosive training dose too. by using all of the muscle more often your body gets better at recruiting the whole muscle all of the time, instead of just parts.

Thank you guys , and just for the record.Explosive means start from the calmest position and I should lift my max, but just as fast and hard as i can w/o hurting myself (or anyone else in the gym)?

Comment

Working...
                    X