Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it some boxers are feather fisted?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juof View Post
    I was once knocked out by paulie malignaggi in fight night round 4 i was shocked
    Haha is power is vastly overrated in that game but he sucks still so that's just all bad hahaha

Comment

Who is that chic in your signature .. Damn

Comment

A lot of guys nowadays arm punch, where as you can see some turn their hips and shoulders slightly to give their punch maximum torque. Also some would rather pitty pat and just out box you, making not to over commit and be vulnerable to counters.

Comment

Its because every feather fisted boxer has XY chromosomes.

Comment

Originally posted by JuanRakan View Post
            The bottom line is that punching power, like having a good chin to a large extent is natural. So, even when you work on things like foot placement and torque, it can only help so much. Tim Bradley is a perfect example. He is probably one of the most muscular guys in the game right now but cant crack an egg. Another thing to look at is leg power -the power comes from the legs and ability to torque your core.

Its just like hitting power in baseball. You can teach a guy how to hit all you want - you cant necessarily control how the ball jumps of the bat once you made your move.
            Mike Tyson would agree with this, and so would his mentor, Cus D'Amato. Tyson has been quoted as saying that he believed you had to be born with great punching power, that it couldn't be developed. He was taught that by Cus, and he believed it himself.

Anyone can learn to punch harder, with proper technique and training. But true punching power, the kind that people really take note of, cannot be taught. The raw material has to be there to begin with.

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
            This is a complicated question because I think it could be different from fighter to fighter. I think it could be one of the following...

-their training routines
            -genetics
            -foot placement (feet not planted correctly, moves too much to get a solid hit)
            -the way they swing (technique or trying to swing too fast and give up power in the process)
            -their style (purposely don't hit hard because they're a volume puncher or conserve energy for later rounds.)
            All of the above points are true, but the one that I find most telling is the last. A lot of fighters don't put too much into their punches because it doesn't suit their purpose. They probably don't have tremendous power to begin with, so they lighten up and rely on scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by ElGuero408 View Post
              Who is that chic in your signature .. Damn
              Those two in the sig are incredible, especially the top one. Jeez... lol

Comment

Originally posted by JuanRakan View Post
                The bottom line is that punching power, like having a good chin to a large extent is natural. So, even when you work on things like foot placement and torque, it can only help so much. Tim Bradley is a perfect example. He is probably one of the most muscular guys in the game right now but cant crack an egg. Another thing to look at is leg power - the power comes from the legs and ability to torque your core.

Its just like hitting power in baseball. You can teach a guy how to hit all you want - you cant necessarily control how the ball jumps of the bat once you made your move.
                I wouldn't say Bradley can't crack an egg. He has "power" just doesn't have one punch power he wobbled Alexander a few times and bailey caught Alexander a few times and he didn't even blink same for junior witter and Campbell. I think if anything Bradley's power is really underrated with the exception of the pacquiao fight ... Every fight I've seen him in he's had his opponent hurt or down at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMES_THUNDER View Post
                  Might be a simple answer but I mean the guys train how to punch for most of their lives and they still cant hit hard, guys like Sergio mora , Paulie malignaggi. Is it because a puncher really is born not made?
                  Paulie has damaged hands. Incidentally they're only "feather-fisted" with gloves on.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMES_THUNDER View Post
                    Might be a simple answer but I mean the guys train how to punch for most of their lives and they still cant hit hard, guys like Sergio mora , Paulie malignaggi. Is it because a puncher really is born not made?
                    People are born with heavy hands but feather fister's can work on speed and proper punching technique like using their legs, pivoting and turning your punches and if all fail you can either get some roids or plaster of paris as some boxer have done.

Comment

They may not have the hand speed or the coordination to be a puncher. The faster the punch is the harder it is if he turns his weight into the punch. The more weight a boxer can turn into the blow with proper technique the harder the blow. A fighter might be a born puncher to a certain degree but all fighters can improve their power by learning the proper way to throw the dfferent punches. No one is born with this knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                      X