No announcement yet.

unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unusual feint by Rigondeaux

If anyone is a fan of guillermo rigondeaux then you should have noticed this before because he does this in all of his fights and I really dont know why? Some commentators even commented on this but no real insight on it. Its not like a typical feint, he throws a half way punch of some sort (a lot with his straight left) almost in slow motion/half speed...sometimes he comes off with something right after and sometimes not.
    A perfect quick example would be right here at around 3:15
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeaVS6yR7XA

Would this be good to start doing? What are the pros and cons of this? As myself a southpaw, I have a few fights (no begginer) I was looking to add this to my game but first I need to know why he does this

Also that's just a quick example of him doing it but if anyone watched any of his fights before you will see he does this a lot

HUGE fan of Rigo and HUGE fan of his feints..

With that said...It's not for everyone, just like the famous shoulder roll that Toney, Mayweather and Broner perfected..

the cons are the fact that it's leaving you wide open, as slow as he does it, he perfectly times the counter as soon as his opponent even twitches in response to the obvious feint..

His footwork and ring generalship have a ton to do with that too..he just glides in the ring..I would be hesitant of trying it because you're stepping in to danger opening up so slowly looking for the "perfect" counter..

Comment

I think he also uses it as a range finder for his left hand, the same way some fighters paw air with their jab.

Comment

He is doing it to draw his opponents parry out which leaves him open for a counter. If your faster than your opponent and your timing is good, might work alright. However i wouldnt try this against guy who is alot faster than you or more experienced, you might end up paying for it.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
          He is doing it to draw his opponents parry out which leaves him open for a counter. If your faster than your opponent and your timing is good, might work alright. However i wouldnt try this against guy who is alot faster than you or more experienced, you might end up paying for it.

More or less yes. Good man

The way Rigo does it , it is perfectly safe.

What he does is this:

He throws a very lazy left straight and draws it back slowly , a little low and a little wide, purposely leaving a gap. He does it a few times. Why?

Rigo is giving his opponent a rhythm to latch onto , like a pendulum for example. Tick, tock ,tick , tock , tick , tock, etc

His opponent latches onto the rhythm and times Rigo for a shot straight down the pipe. What his opponent doesnt know is that Rigo is in perfect balance and is timing his opponents attack. He is poised. He knows whats comming

If you look at the angles...what will reach its target first? The straight right of his opponent or Rigos right hook ( lead hook )? Yep... Rigos right hook WINS because it has to travel the shortest amount of distance to the target ( head ) . The straight right has to travel longer. Remember Rigo is a Southpaw fighter.

Simple and very smart...like all top cubano fighters.

Rigo is the BOSS, plain and simple.

Such a great fighter

Comment

Originally posted by i_am_a_champ View Post
            More or less yes. Good man

The way Rigo does it , it is perfectly safe.

What he does is this:

He throws a very lazy left straight and draws it back slowly , a little low and a little wide, purposely leaving a gap. He does it a few times. Why?

Rigo is giving his opponent a rhythm to latch onto , like a pendulum for example. Tick, tock ,tick , tock , tick , tock, etc

His opponent latches onto the rhythm and times Rigo for a shot straight down the pipe. What his opponent doesnt know is that Rigo is in perfect balance and is timing his opponents attack. He is poised. He knows whats comming

If you look at the angles...what will reach its target first? The straight right of his opponent or Rigos right hook ( lead hook )? Yep... Rigos right hook WINS because it has to travel the shortest amount of distance to the target ( head ) . The straight right has to travel longer. Remember Rigo is a Southpaw fighter.

Simple and very smart...like all top cubano fighters.

Rigo is the BOSS, plain and simple.

Such a great fighter
            good post.
            it's a perfect way to wind up on a shot as well, whilst giving the impression of leaving oneself open which distracts from the winding up.

this type of feinting is NOT particularly unusual for a Cuban fighter at all. i trained over there for a year and I do it. maybe not quite as good as Rigo, but hey...!
            a lot of the time the Cubans give young boxers lessons/practice in chess, something the Klitschko's are rather fond of themselves. wonder why...?!

Comment

The example you pointed out at 3:15 is one of the most disrespectful things I've seen done to someone in the ring lol.

With that said, I love how he feints as well but like someone pointed out, it's not for everyone. Rigo has incredible defensive reflexes. He can get away with this stuff.

The other reason why he does it is as a way to build torque for the shot he is REALLY looking to throw. Sticking that straight left out there was almost like him winding his body up to test that right hook and he timed it JUST at the moment when his opponent jumped in thinking he was vulnerable (wrong).

Slick stuff like that makes me wet my pants and I definitely incorporate similar stuff into my game.

Comment

Working...
              X