Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How/Why is Sly Stallone selected for the HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How/Why is Sly Stallone selected for the HOF?

Did beating a faded MASON DIXON do it?

Or was it his come from behind victory over the russian?

Maybe the Tommy Gunn fight?

Why is Joe Cortez?

Rocky movies brought a lot of attention to the sport and brought a lot of casual fans, whether than is HoF material is your own personal preference.

Comment

He made it in not as a fighter, but as an observer.

If journalists and the like can make it in, I don't see why not. His movies brought attention to the sport. Even though I find it BS that his popularity as a fictional character eclipses that of many legendary fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
        He made it in not as a fighter, but as an observer.

If journalists and the like can make it in, I don't see why not. His movies brought attention to the sport. Even though I find it BS that his popularity as a fictional character eclipses that of many legendary fighters.
        its not bs, its popular culture. its like that in all things. the rocky movies were once in a generation type cinema.

Comment

Fans should be able to make it in too then.

Comment

I think it's because he hosted and produced the boxing reality series The Contender.

Comment

Tyson said it best himself when speaking on his and Sly's induction to the Hall, "You know how many fighters were inspired by Rocky?!"

EDIT: Here is the actual quote:

@miketyson on Stallone: 'You know how many fighters he inspired from that movie? He contributed (to boxing) more than some champions did.'
              /thread
              Last edited by KnockoutKings; 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious713 View Post
                Tyson said it best himself when speaking on his and Sly's induction to the Hall, "You know how many fighters were inspired by Rocky?!"

EDIT: Here is the actual quote:

/thread
                Excellent stuff. Stallone brought boxing back in the late 70's. He's contributed more to boxing than Manny, Floyd, Hatton, whoever.

Comment

Should be obvious.

Comment

Because he wrote the screenplay for Rocky.

He is officially in as a screenwriter, in the non-combatant category in the Hall of Fame, such as other journalist and authors got in.

Comment

Working...
                    X