Ceasar says probably Diaz vs Kos upon Return

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceasar says probably Diaz vs Kos upon Return

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news...is-return.html

Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz is currently coming to the end of his 12-month suspension under the Nevada State Athletic Commission for having trace amounts of marijuana metabolites in his system after his urine analysis after UFC 143.

Diaz faced Carlos Condit at the event for the UFC interim welterweight belt as champion Georges St. Pierre tore his ACL in training camp preparing to fight Daiz.

The two top welterweights traded blows back-and-forth for five consecutive close rounds with the judges ringside giving a unanimous decision to Condit, making him the interim champion. The close nature of the fight caused many to believe Diaz won and a rematch was in order. After the bout, the controversy forced UFC president Dana White to schedule a rematch, but days later the NSAC would announce the positive test results and suspend Diaz.

Diaz's suspension ends in February of 2013, and White has made it clear that Diaz will need to beat a top ranked welterweight to get another title shot. Recently, top-ranked welterweight Josh Koscheck has called out the former champion, and according to Diaz's trainer Cesar Gracie, that's also a fight they're interested in.

"I heard Dana White's statements saying that Nick will have to fight someone before having another chance at the title shot," Cesar Gracie told Tatame.com.br. "And there are a lot of fighters out there who would love this fight, like Demian Maia and Josh Koscheck, and they know that facing Nick Diaz is synonymous with a great fight. I do not think Nick will have a problem facing any of them.

"Personally, I like the option of him fighting Koscheck. A guy who is very popular here in the United States, has great public recognition, everyone knows who he is, especially here. Demian Maia is a great fighter, I think it would also be a great opponent, but here in America he is not as popular as Koscheck. So, I think Nick probably will face Josh Koscheck in his return to the Octagon."

Condit is currently scheduled to fight St. Pierre at UFC 154 to unify the welterweight titles. According to Gracie, St. Pierre will likely defeat Condit at UFC 154.

"GSP will probably win," Cesar said. "I do not think Condit will be able to prevent his takedowns and I honestly do not know if he has any notion of Jiu-Jitsu to amaze GSP. One of the advantages that Condit has is that GSP has been inactive for almost two years, and it always brings some difficulty for those who are returning.

"We do not believe that Condit will win, it is possible, but we do not expect for this result. I believe Condit will repeat what he did in the last fight, run, not seek combat, and the public does not want to see it again. They want to see the fight between GSP and Nick."

Yea buddy !!!

I don't know who to pick but I would buy this. If everybody picks Nicks I'll have to go with Kos. If everybody counts Nick out due to wrasslin I'll bet on Nick.

I am glad Diaz is working his way to the belt rather than being gifted a title shot. I think it will be better for Nick this way if he does make it. I think getting the nod on the COndit fight would have been bad for Nick. I think Condit helped Nick by exposing some wholes in Nicks game.
    If Nick got the nod the Gsp fight would not have gone well for him at all.
    The Condit loss was needed and some rounds with Kos will be very eye opening win/lose/draw.
    If he beats Kos I'd say give him young Silva (not Fitch that would be bad for Nick). If Nick handles young Silva well and doesn't end up in a war with him his confidence should be where it needs to be to fight the champ, also the two fights I just mentioned should be good warm ups and suit the training he will need to fight Gsp and not look foolish.

I'd hate to say it but if Nick does have Gsp's # when/if he gets there, Fitch will be coming for him. Fitch would take that belt from Diaz 8/10 so would Condit. I don't think Kos is as good as Fitch or Condit right now but he's damn good.
    Last edited by Bacatit; 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Koscheck will have a safety-first approach, he laid on Daley the whole fight, that may not work here but I'd be surprised if he took any risks. Still if that's the fight Cesar wants maybe they're not too concerned about having another ultra-negative opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
        Koscheck will have a safety-first approach, he laid on Daley the whole fight, that may not work here but I'd be surprised if he took any risks. Still if that's the fight Cesar wants maybe they're not too concerned about having another ultra-negative opponent.
        On the other hand Kos gets ballsy andcould very well attempt to test Nick's hand game in which case we could see a t.k.o from either guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
          This is basically why, as a sport, MMA is pretty much a joke. I mean, there is running in boxing, but nothing in boxing even comes close to comparing with the degrees of fight avoidance which are able to go on in MMA. I don't think there is any actual sport in which a competitor can take a strategy of avoiding engagement in said sport's sporting activities, as a means to victory.

Comment

Yeah, bring back warnings and penalize fighters for running and lay and praying.

Comment

Working...
            X