A story from Four Kings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A story from Four Kings

Duran fought a fellow named Pedro “El Toro” Mendoza
    in a non-title bout in Nicaragua. Mendoza was a local favorite, held in such
    esteem by Nicaraguans that the country’s dictator, Gen. Anastasio Somoza,
    had personally asked Duran to carry El Toro long enough to avoid embarrassing
    him, but Cholo couldn’t help himself and knocked him out in the
    first round. Bobby Goodman, then a Don King publicist, was in Managua
    for a WBA convention, and had gone to watch Duran−along with another
    of King’s fighters, Wilfredo Gomez−perform that night, and recalled a wild
    melee in the ring afterward.
    “Some woman, I think it was Mendoza’s wife, jumped in the ring and
    made a beeline for Duran,” Goodman recounted to Al Goldstein in A Fistful
    of Sugar. “He just whirled around and flattened the broad with a right hand,
    better than the one he starched Mendoza with.
    “The thing about it was, there was nothing contrived about any of it,”
    Goodman recalled to me more than three decades later. “Some guys try to
    create an image by acting like some kind of animal, but not Duran. He actually
    was a ****ing beast.”

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
    Duran fought a fellow named Pedro “El Toro” Mendoza
    in a non-title bout in Nicaragua. Mendoza was a local favorite, held in such
    esteem by Nicaraguans that the country’s dictator, Gen. Anastasio Somoza,
    had personally asked Duran to carry El Toro long enough to avoid embarrassing
    him, but Cholo couldn’t help himself and knocked him out in the
    first round. Bobby Goodman, then a Don King publicist, was in Managua
    for a WBA convention, and had gone to watch Duran−along with another
    of King’s fighters, Wilfredo Gomez−perform that night, and recalled a wild
    melee in the ring afterward.
    “Some woman, I think it was Mendoza’s wife, jumped in the ring and
    made a beeline for Duran,” Goodman recounted to Al Goldstein in A Fistful
    of Sugar. “He just whirled around and flattened the broad with a right hand,
    better than the one he starched Mendoza with.
    “The thing about it was, there was nothing contrived about any of it,”
    Goodman recalled to me more than three decades later. “Some guys try to
    create an image by acting like some kind of animal, but not Duran. He actually
    was a ****ing beast.”
    Out of all the moments in the grand old history of boxing, that, is my favorite.

Its hard to NOT like duran

Comment

In Hands of Stone Duran denied that he chinned her. He said: "I never hit a woman, never in my life. Just swatted her away with the back of my hand."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
        Out of all the moments in the grand old history of boxing, that, is my favorite.

Its hard to NOT like duran

Not my favorite moment but an appreciated one. I don't believe in smacking women because you can. But Im all for reaction and self defense.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Not my favorite moment but an appreciated one. I don't believe in smacking women because you can. But Im all for reaction and self defense.
          It's a pretty humorous moment. Duran was a total monster.

Comment

Four Kings was an awesome book and that was defenitley a line that stood out in the there. Thanks for bringing it up. I thought it was cool when he was discussing Marvin Haglers first experience in a boxing gym where he just sat in the back and didn't say a single word lol.

Comment

I apologize for my other posts. Vodka does not become me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
                In Hands of Stone Duran denied that he chinned her. He said: "I never hit a woman, never in my life. Just swatted her away with the back of my hand."
                Hahahahaha I lost my *****! Awesome story. I gotta take a look at that book sounds awesome, could probably learn a lot. I've always wanted to watch and learn more about duran but never end up doing it for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
                  Hahahahaha I lost my *****! Awesome story. I gotta take a look at that book sounds awesome, could probably learn a lot. I've always wanted to watch and learn more about duran but never end up doing it for some reason.
                  Oh man Nates.....you GOT to watch Duran: Every prime Duran fight you can get your hands on :cool9:

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    Oh man Nates.....you GOT to watch Duran: Every prime Duran fight you can get your hands on :cool9:

Poet
                    Haha damn. I always only worried about the essentials. I always like to make sure I see the important fights of a fighter and if I have time later then go deeper so ive seen of course the Leonard fights even the last one, saw hearns ice him and hagler take him and I watched half the first buchannon fight which was good and then drifted off ha any fights in particular that really define him that I must watch? I won't mind watching em either its not like having to force myself to watch holyfield ruiz or tyson fights that went the distance because they kept holding him ha durans a scrapper!

Comment

Working...
                    X