No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Liborio Solis Upsets Daiki Kameda To Deny Unification

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Liborio Solis Upsets Daiki Kameda To Deny Unification

The worst of Liborio Solis' road trip to Japan ended Monday at the scales, as fight night provided far more memorable results.

One day after being forced to vacate his 115 lb. title due to missing weight, Venezuela's Solis found redemption in the form of a split decision win over Daiki Kameda in a 12-round war Tuesday evening in Osaka, Japan.

Solis was already facing an uphill climb in trying to claim a win over a Kameda on the road in Japan. The Land of the Rising Sun was kind to the visiting Venezuelan when he conquered Kohei Kono to win a 115 lb. belt in May, but such courtesy never figured to be on the table for Tuesday's affair.

Scores were 116-112 (twice) and 115-113 in a bout previously billed as a title unifier in the super flyweight division, but instead a non-title affair once all was said and done. [Click Here To Read More]

Was that Daiki's first loss?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Nope 4th I think

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Nope, Tomoki is the undefeated one

Comment

"The scale snafu meant that both belts were on the line only for Kameda, who would retain his alphabet belt regardless of what occurred wile a loss would mean the belt Solis owned would remain vacant."

This is not true, according to the information which was stated on the television broadcast.

According to the TV broadcast, yes the belts were on the line for Kameda only (scenario one), however a Solis win would mean both belts would become vacant (scenario two). A draw would result in Solis' belt being vacant, and Kameda retaining (scenario three).

Again, that is how it was broken down by the Japanese TV broadcasters.

So, it would seem both belts are now vacant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sober Cat View Post
            "The scale snafu meant that both belts were on the line only for Kameda, who would retain his alphabet belt regardless of what occurred wile a loss would mean the belt Solis owned would remain vacant."

This is not true, according to the information which was stated on the television broadcast.

According to the TV broadcast, yes the belts were on the line for Kameda only (scenario one), however a Solis win would mean both belts would become vacant (scenario two). A draw would result in Solis' belt being vacant, and Kameda retaining (scenario three).

Again, that is how it was broken down by the Japanese TV broadcasters.

So, it would seem both belts are now vacant.
            That doesn't make any sense. It became a non-title fight for Solis the moment he missed weight. There are no grounds to strip Kameda based on that.

http://assets.ibf-usba-boxing.com/Fi...ABoutRules.pdf
            WEIGH-IN CEREMONIES:
            2. If a Champion shall fail to make the prescribed weight prior to the expiration of the two additional hours, the title shall be forfeited on the scale. The contest may be staged, however, as a fight for the vacant title. If the challenger, having made the prescribed weight, shall win, he will be declared the winner of the vacant title. However, should the former champion win, the title will remain vacant. If the Champion makes the weight and the Challenger fails to do so, the fight may be staged with the understanding that the Champion will retain his title whether he wins or loses the bout. In the event both contestants fail to make the prescribed weight, the sanction of the bout will be withdrawn.

In this particular instance:
            IBF - Solis is viewed as the challenger, Kameda as its champion. Therefore, Kameda retains title regardless of ring result
            WBA - Solis is viewed as champion, Kameda as challenger. Solis missed weight but won fight. Therefore, WBA title is vacant.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
              That doesn't make any sense. It became a non-title fight for Solis the moment he missed weight. There are no grounds to strip Kameda based on that.

http://assets.ibf-usba-boxing.com/Fi...ABoutRules.pdf
              WEIGH-IN CEREMONIES:
              2. If a Champion shall fail to make the prescribed weight prior to the expiration of the two additional hours, the title shall be forfeited on the scale. The contest may be staged, however, as a fight for the vacant title. If the challenger, having made the prescribed weight, shall win, he will be declared the winner of the vacant title. However, should the former champion win, the title will remain vacant. If the Champion makes the weight and the Challenger fails to do so, the fight may be staged with the understanding that the Champion will retain his title whether he wins or loses the bout. In the event both contestants fail to make the prescribed weight, the sanction of the bout will be withdrawn.

In this particular instance:
              IBF - Solis is viewed as the challenger, Kameda as its champion. Therefore, Kameda retains title regardless of ring result
              WBA - Solis is viewed as champion, Kameda as challenger. Solis missed weight but won fight. Therefore, WBA title is vacant.
              I watched it live on Japanese TV, and as I explained it is as they reported it. They explained it several times just like that.

I get your point with regards to the stated rules. I don't know what more to make of it. Unless the Japanese broadcasters reported in error. I do read and understand Japanese, and they explained it pretty clearly both written and spoken, several times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sober Cat View Post
                I watched it live on Japanese TV, and as I explained it is as they reported it. They explained it several times just like that.

I get your point with regards to the stated rules. I don't know what more to make of it. Unless the Japanese broadcasters reported in error. I do read and understand Japanese, and they explained it pretty clearly both written and spoken, several times.
                I don't doubt that's what the announcers said. Obviously you have a leg up on me since I don't speak or understand Japanese, so I gladly take your word that how you phrased it is exactly how they explained it.

But if that was the announcers' explanation, then they were wrong and misunderstood the rule.

I know it's confusing in a unification match when one champ comes in heavy; my guess is they combined rules when trying to explain.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
                  I don't doubt that's what the announcers said. Obviously you have a leg up on me since I don't speak or understand Japanese, so I gladly take your word that how you phrased it is exactly how they explained it.

But if that was the announcers' explanation, then they were wrong and misunderstood the rule.

I know it's confusing in a unification match when one champ comes in heavy; my guess is they combined rules when trying to explain.
                  Indeed, this article seems to state just that:
                  http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/art...402000173.html

Specifically, that although it was previously reported that Daiki Kameda would lose his title with a loss, according to the IBF rules, should a champions' opponent come in overweight that he will retain his title with either a win or a loss, and so Daiki's status doesn't change.

So, it appears Japanese media was in error.

Or maybe they just wanted to create more suspense for the audience .

Comment

Working...
                  X