No announcement yet.

Upgraded My Dinosaur To WINDOWS 8

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Upgraded My Dinosaur To WINDOWS 8

Got a free copy of 8 pro from work and figured I would install it on my old HP (runs vista, 2gb ram, 160gb hd) to see if I could extend its life a long enough for me to decide what I'd get next.

The hard drive has been practically full for the past year and a half. I got an external hard drive for my birthday and have been backing everything up. In total, I have about 40gb of files.

Anyway, I got the copy yesterday and started the upgrade. As part of the process, it asked if I wanted to keep files or delete.

I said delete.

With all my files, anything temporary, and program files deleted, I figured I'd have a good amount of storage to work with.

Not the case.

I only have about 29gb free on this thing and am wondering if anyone knows what would be taking up all of the space.

maybe try a registry cleaner? that often helps....

Comment

Run this: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunRoberts View Post
        Just ran it, deleted all of the "files to be deleted," and am still at about the same storage. My hard drive might just be F'd. Gonna have to bite the bullet and spend some money sooner than I wanted.

Thanks, fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by $mannyFresh View Post
          Got a free copy of 8 pro from work and figured I would install it on my old HP (runs vista, 2gb ram, 160gb hd) to see if I could extend its life a long enough for me to decide what I'd get next.

The hard drive has been practically full for the past year and a half. I got an external hard drive for my birthday and have been backing everything up. In total, I have about 40gb of files.

Anyway, I got the copy yesterday and started the upgrade. As part of the process, it asked if I wanted to keep files or delete.

I said delete.

With all my files, anything temporary, and program files deleted, I figured I'd have a good amount of storage to work with.

Not the case.

I only have about 29gb free on this thing and am wondering if anyone knows what would be taking up all of the space.

you did the upgrade option? i would boot from Cd and install that way. Its alot cleaner you can delete the whole partition of the hard and create a new one and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleto_Reyes View Post
            you did the upgrade option? i would boot from Cd and install that way. Its alot cleaner you can delete the whole partition of the hard and create a new one and go from there.
            OK. Didn't think it made a difference. Good to know. Might give it a shot before the day ends.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X