No announcement yet.

strategy to fight mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strategy to fight mayweather

if you where given a top fighter and given 3 months to train them for a fight against mayweather what would be your approach to the training/game plan.

the only way i see to beat a guy like that is just to swarm them, throwing quick and accurate to then head and digging in more to the body trying to smother him and win on work rate. sort of like if you could shrink joe calzaghe.

Originally posted by cameronpaul View Post
    if you where given a top fighter and given 3 months to train them for a fight against mayweather what would be your approach to the training/game plan.

the only way i see to beat a guy like that is just to swarm them, throwing quick and accurate to then head and digging in more to the body trying to smother him and win on work rate. sort of like if you could shrink joe calzaghe.
    Be a great slick southpaw or a great swarmer

Comment

So you think you beat Floyd by just throwing alot of punches????sounds like a way to get busted up and stopped...counter punchers love when you throw punches cause that leaves you open

Comment

Slick southpaw for one. My gameplan would be to just focus on his body, eventually opening his dome (doesnt mean i wouldnt throw shots upstairs, that just wouldnt be my focus)

As far as judah, one of the biggest mistakes/chances missed i noticed is he didnt follow up his jab with a straight left to the body. If was him (or sergio) i would live on this approach. I would start jabbing to both head and body. After a bit id folllow up my head jabs with straight lefts to body, eventually following these up with right hooks and left uppercuts, looking to counter when he tries to counter. As far as body jabs, i would proceed to follow up with a left upstairs, etc. Just changing levels, and attacking his body. And of course switching it up, not creating patterns.

But...as an orthodox....i have no clue and no shot lol. The angles are different, so itd be entirely different. Would just try setting him up and catching him in exchanges i guess. Rip akscoundel
        Last edited by ~AK49~; 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I think that the key to beating Mayweather is in not letting him fight his fight, taking his time picking his spots and countering. Draw him out and make him lead.

Comment

Destroy his left side (body) with straight right hands to the side, triceps and elbow everytime he leans away on defense! See if the hook can land off that move.
            Out jab him 2 to 1!!
            Committ to the body all night long!
            Make him move to his right and walk him down with double jabs!!

Now IF a boxer could do all these pretty difficult techiques he'd have a good chance of off setting Floyds comfort zones! Ray.

Comment

Destroy his left side (body) with straight right hands to the side, triceps and elbow every time he leans away on defense!
              i use this method sometimes against guys who try the Philly shell defense up close, doesn't do much but i feel better having punched them a few times. maybe over 10-12 rounds it would accumulate to some damage.

also i've noticed that when his trying to time his lead right hand he often ducks and rolls back straight away after throwing it (head facing the floor for just a split second). maybe a counter uppercut expecting this move might get lucky. probably only get away with it once or twice before he makes his adjustments. and im not sure if you could time a straight right hand as his throwing his check left hook, you'd have to have matrix like reactions and im sure he'd end up deflecting the right hand with his movement.

one of the main things when fighting mayweather i think is to remember its a game, the fighters that go out there trying to knock his head off get tired and get ko'ed in the end, if you measure yourself and fight smart its more realistic you'l still be as sharp as he his down the last half of the fight but i think remaining sharp in the last half of the fight is really mayweathers best quality.

Comment

Intelligent pressure fighting...never giving him a chance to think or relax...throwing punches in bunches but remaining defensively responsible...a good jab...straight punches vs. looping punches.

Otherwise, just hope to catch him like Corley and Mosely did, but finish him like they couldn't.

Much easier said than done and it would be an exhausting strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
                  Slick southpaw for one. My gameplan would be to just focus on his body, eventually opening his dome (doesnt mean i wouldnt throw shots upstairs, that just wouldnt be my focus)

As far as judah, one of the biggest mistakes/chances missed i noticed is he didnt follow up his jab with a straight left to the body. If was him (or sergio) i would live on this approach. I would start jabbing to both head and body. After a bit id folllow up my head jabs with straight lefts to body, eventually following these up with right hooks and left uppercuts, looking to counter when he tries to counter. As far as body jabs, i would proceed to follow up with a left upstairs, etc. Just changing levels, and attacking his body. And of course switching it up, not creating patterns.

But...as an orthodox....i have no clue and no shot lol. The angles are different, so itd be entirely different. Would just try setting him up and catching him in exchanges i guess. Rip akscoundel
                  To add to this, if i was fighting may i would literally sit down and write out/prepare for 3-4 different gameplans. Even if your first gameplan is successful at first, mayweather is too good and too smart to try and live by that gameplan. He'll figure it out, adjust and go to work. So, as far as the multiple gameplans, even if my first gameplan was working, i would periodically change it up and switch to another gameplan for a few, just to give mayweather another look, have have to think and be mindful of more, etc.

Comment

it's why i think manny would have stood a better chance than anyone (still picked floyd to win though).

he throws a lot of hard punches. mosley got a couple through, floyd can be hit. you just need a LOT of energy and be able to match his speed. manny is/was a very fast puncher.

sloppy yes, but a few years ago he would have stood a good chance on work rate alone, never mind the fact he punches very hard.

floyd does great things to his opponent, he makes them fight his fight. he counters well and slows people down to his pace and frustrates his opponent like he did with ortiz or hatton.

Comment

Working...
                    X