No announcement yet.

Prince Naseem Hamed doesnt get his just due and never will

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    The Nas of 2000+ wasnt the Naz of 1995 -1999....the combinations were gone, his reflexes and ability to roll shots or dodge them were slipping, and he became more of a fighter depending on his power than the fighter he was before then....we all know fighters that depend on natural gifts, swarmers, brawlers prime is a bit shorter especially if they dont train seriously...the Naz Barrera wasnt the best one IMO...Barrera made his name off beating Hamed and is clearly is biggest win...its not like Naz was kayoed or embarassed like some make it out to be I saw the fight Many times...all im saying is people look at one fight instead of his career as a whole and he deserves more than that...every great fighter or near great has lost except for Marciano, Calzaghe, Ricardo Lopez, and Mayweather so one loss past prime shouldnt hold so much water
    I see were you're coming from but I disagree with the reasoning. Nas was about what, 27 when he fought Barrera? He hadn't had a hard fought career. His inability to get out of the way of Marco's punches and his inability to land combinations against him for me is because he was in the ring with a far superior boxer who had a much better understanding of fundamental boxing techniques.

Kevin Kelly caught him plenty of times for the same reason and that was in 97 which is at the peak of what you consider his prime. He deserves respect for his career as a whole like you say and double for the excitement that he brought to the ring and the pride that the engendered in British Muslims. The reason why I feel some fans look at that one fight though is because that was the one that defined his career. He said he was one of the greatest ever and when he had an opportunity to prove it he came up short.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
      stefjonno1, did you happen to see the match between poison junior jones, and kennedy mckinney?...kennedy mckinney, cracked me up in the postfight interview, when he described how he was able to take poison junior jones best punch, and ended the fight with his own straight right hand...stefjonno1, i used to watch a lot of the fights around the featherweight division in the mid-late 90's-early 2000's, because the little guys, used to get it in, my man...(word)

Yeah i've seen that fight and interview, i have it on vhs. Aint watched it in years, il have to dig it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stokely View Post
        I see were you're coming from but I disagree with the reasoning. Nas was about what, 27 when he fought Barrera? He hadn't had a hard fought career. His inability to get out of the way of Marco's punches and his inability to land combinations against him for me is because he was in the ring with a far superior boxer who had a much better understanding of fundamental boxing techniques.

Kevin Kelly caught him plenty of times for the same reason and that was in 97 which is at the peak of what you consider his prime. He deserves respect for his career as a whole like you say and double for the excitement that he brought to the ring and the pride that the engendered in British Muslims. The reason why I feel some fans look at that one fight though is because that was the one that defined his career. He said he was one of the greatest ever and when he had an opportunity to prove it he came up short.
        I see what you are saying as far as style...he hadnt had a hard fought career you are right and its his own fault for not training the way he used too after he started believeiing his own hype,

but like I said tho in his prime whether he fought well schooled guys he stlll wasnt the same guy in 2001 that he was in the 90's...earlier in his career his footwork and movement was waay better than it was for Calvo, Barrera, Sanchez, and others he fought late.....people act like Barrera was the only technically sound guy he fought...Kelly was, Bungu was, Manuel Medina, Sanchez...he beat them....yeah he lost a decision to a great fighter thats all it is to me, not what some people see like he was a fraud, etc....being negligent and ****y caught up to him....as Judah career progressed even before he fought Baldo Cotto....he started believeing he was a puncher and forgot the things that made people believed he was special, which was footwork and combinations not just power

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
          I see what you are saying as far as style...he hadnt had a hard fought career you are right and its his own fault for not training the way he used too after he started believeiing his own hype,

but like I said tho in his prime whether he fought well schooled guys he stlll wasnt the same guy in 2001 that he was in the 90's...earlier in his career his footwork and movement was waay better than it was for Calvo, Barrera, Sanchez, and others he fought late.....people act like Barrera was the only technically sound guy he fought...Kelly was, Bungu was, Manuel Medina, Sanchez...he beat them....yeah he lost a decision to a great fighter thats all it is to me, not what some people see like he was a fraud, etc....being negligent and ****y caught up to him....as Judah career progressed even before he fought Baldo Cotto....he started believeing he was a puncher and forgot the things that made people believed he was special, which was footwork and combinations not just power
          I definitely agree with you on that last point. One of the worst things a fighter can do is to start to become enamoured by their own punching power. Nas was certainly guilty of that.

Comment

Working...
          X