Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
        this gesture is even more magnified if im drinking beer during a meal...if i have to wait and ask for another beer, that tip is in jeopardy

a good waiter/waitress monitors how much is left in my mug/glass as they walk by and will offer another when its below the halfway point

btw- thats the reason i pour my bottle into a mug at a restaurant...just so they can see how much i have left
        there's this restaurant I go to here in Jersey and I always ask for the same waiter and all he did to get my attention was walk by put a beer on the table and pick up the empty mug with out asking me if I needed a refill, that to me is immaculate service...

Comment

Tipping is virtually an alien concept in the UK.

When I go to the US and I tip I feel like I've given free money away, like I've robbed myself. When I don't tip I feel like I've shortchanged the person serving, like I've somehow robbed them of what they're owed.

When it's not part of your culture it feels very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
            there's this restaurant I go to here in Jersey and I always ask for the same waiter and all he did to get my attention was walk by put a beer on the table and pick up the empty mug with out asking me if I needed a refill, that to me is immaculate service...
            is it an establishment for sausage links?

Comment

I even tip whoever pumps my gas and all they need to say is "How you doing sir how can I help you"...politeness gets rewarded with me...

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                Tipping is virtually an alien concept in the UK.

When I go to the US and I tip I feel like I've given free money away, like I've robbed myself. When I don't tip I feel like I've shortchanged the person serving, like I've somehow robbed them of what they're owed.

When it's not part of your culture it feels very odd.

Yeah, I agree. It's just a cultural thing.

There's some things I don't really agree with, or understand about other country's cultures.

For example, why do the English still pay taxes to support the royal family, and their lifestyle? I'm assuming taxes pay for the guards, and all the employees who serve them (driver, etc.), and who upkeep Buckingham Palace.

It just seems like such an ancient concept; and let's be real - the royal family does nothing aside from being born, and their wealth was accumulated through cruelty in the past.

But I try to understand that it's part of England's history, and "her majesty" is a very important figurehead to the English.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
                  is it an establishment for sausage links?
                  never been to one of those, which one you recommend ?

Comment

I even tip whoever pumps my gas and all they need to say is "How you doing sir how can I help you"...politeness gets rewarded with me...

oh wow...they still have full service gas stations in jersey? i dont remember any here in socal

Comment

I agree man. Also agree about the beer refill thing.

I used to work as a server at IHOP, and I can tell you that being a server when it gets busy is so stressful. You are literally running around on your feet for the entire shift, and even then, sometimes you can't get to everybody as fast as they'd like, so you'll have people who are rude, and then of course don't tip at all despite you busting your ass off trying to ensure they get served as fast as possible.

I loved providing people with excellent service, and getting compliments, and yes, tips too Made me feel good about my job, that I made somebody else happy, and enhanced their experience. I believe that "meal time" (especially with your family) is a very sacred time, and is more about just eating good food.

Comment

Working...
                      X