Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will anyone ever attempt to win a round without throwing a punch like Willie Pep?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will anyone ever attempt to win a round without throwing a punch like Willie Pep?

Watching Gamboa last night ducking and dodging punches with his hands down got me thinking. What if he tried to do that the entire round without throwing a punch.

Obviously it wouldn't be him. It would have to be someone better defensively. Someone who is conscious of history and would try to replicate what the legend is about Willie Pep. I have no idea if the judges would even give that person a round in today's era even if he did avoid every punch. The other guy just might win it on workrate

The round Pep was supposed to have won without throwing a punch, was according to newspapers, filled with action from both fighters.

I don't think any fighter worth following will attempt it, nor do I think it is plausible with proper judges.

Comment

Myth. It never happened and people really need to stop listening to Bert Sugar's tall tales.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        Myth. It never happened and people really need to stop listening to Bert Sugar's tall tales.

Poet
        Was it actually Bert Sugar who started this one?

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
          Was it actually Bert Sugar who started this one?
          No, but he spent the better part of the last 50 years perpetuating it.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            No, but he spent the better part of the last 50 years perpetuating it.

Poet
            Yes I would not doubt he would. He made his living writing books like boxings 100 greatest fighters and appearing on espn classic ringside.

Comment

Even if it is a myth, a historically conscious fighter (someone of B-Hop's level) should try to do it. Purposely not throw a punch and try to duck, block, bob & weave his way for 3 minutes. And see what happens and what the commentators will say.

Comment

Well De La Hoya did that in the last round against Trinidad. Oh no wait, he just ran away. But one of the judges did give him that round even though he didn't throw a single punch in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
                  Even if it is a myth, a historically conscious fighter (someone of B-Hop's level) should try to do it. Purposely not throw a punch and try to duck, block, bob & weave his way for 3 minutes. And see what happens and what the commentators will say.
                  That would be interesting, but I doubt they'd be able to get the nod.

Defense doesn't get enough credit in my opinion. But I guess it's going to look completely different from the judges table.

Comment

Working...
                  X