Bert Sugar Top 100 Fighters-THOUGHTS???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    True enough.

Though I do have a bit of a problem whenever I see anybody (especially a Historian like Sugar) compiling a list of the "100 Greatest Fighters Of All Time", and giving the guys with more historical significance higher spots than the guys who would likely beat them in the ring.

For me, if you want to do a list that factors in historical significance ; Do the "Top 100 Fighters of Historical Significane" list.

It's not entirely fair to dismiss the historical significance of a Joe Louis, or a Jack Johnson either

But you could also argue it's not fair to bump down guys who'd beat them head to head, just because of their significance.

(For the record, I don't think anybody beats Louis head to head and I think he deserves his spot. But I can think of a few who I think could take Johnson in a head to head, and were greater Champions but less significant historically.)
    Guess for publishing and interest purposes people who publish these books will try and cover a variety of eras. For example you may think that all modern fighters will beat all fighters before them but I guess to list 90 fighters in the currentish era probably wouldn't get a lot of interest due to the lack of variety.
    I kind of do a mix myself and probably put Johnson and Dempsey higher than others due to their impact, I like to think I acknowledge the new too.
    But I'm an old man so you'll have to forgive me

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
      Guess for publishing and interest purposes people who publish these books will try and cover a variety of eras. For example you may think that all modern fighters will beat all fighters before them but I guess to list 90 fighters in the currentish era probably wouldn't get a lot of interest due to the lack of variety.
      I kind of do a mix myself and probably put Johnson and Dempsey higher than others due to their impact, I like to think I acknowledge the new too.
      But I'm an old man so you'll have to forgive me
      Don't get me wrong ; I'm not one of these "modern athletes are teh awesome!!!!!!" types who thinks that the fighters of today are leaps and bounds beyond their counterparts of yesteryear.

I'm just saying that on a whole ; I think Sugar is one of many boxing historians who prefers to rank historical significance over anything else.

I don't have many issues with his list, aside from the few points I've already mentioned.

Overall ; Anybody's list of the "top 100" is going to get **** on in one way or another. Because you're always going to omit someone, or rank one person too highly, or too low based on intangibles, etc...

It's a hard thing to do ; which is why I've never posted my "top 100".

I just think that Sugar doesn't give enough credit to some of the more "modern" legends, due to a lack of historical significance.

You are right though ; you've got to strike a balance for the reader. I can't imagine too many people picking up a list like that these days and instantly recognizing some of the more recent legends.

If boxing were still on primetime television, that'd be a much different story.

But that's another debate, for another time.

Comment

Don't get me wrong ; I'm not one of these "modern athletes are teh awesome!!!!!!" types who thinks that the fighters of today are leaps and bounds beyond their counterparts of yesteryear.

I'm just saying that on a whole ; I think Sugar is one of many boxing historians who prefers to rank historical significance over anything else.

I don't have many issues with his list, aside from the few points I've already mentioned.

Overall ; Anybody's list of the "top 100" is going to get **** on in one way or another. Because you're always going to omit someone, or rank one person too highly, or too low based on intangibles, etc...

It's a hard thing to do ; which is why I've never posted my "top 100".

I just think that Sugar doesn't give enough credit to some of the more "modern" legends, due to a lack of historical significance.

You are right though ; you've got to strike a balance for the reader. I can't imagine too many people picking up a list like that these days and instantly recognizing some of the more recent legends.

If boxing were still on primetime television, that'd be a much different story.

But that's another debate, for another time.
        I personally don't rate Sugar's opinion too highly. He has been fortunate enough to see a lot of fights live over a long period of time but don't rate him too much.
        My favourite boxing writer is Hugh Mcilvanney though I not sure how well known he is in America?
        New fellow I have been reading is Jim McNeill just finished his book That night at the garden and started They could've been contenders. Recommend both, maybe the Scots have a talent for writing about boxing god knows they love a fight

Comment

Oh and the you I referred to was a genral you not directed at your good self.

Comment

I personally don't rate Sugar's opinion too highly. He has been fortunate enough to see a lot of fights live over a long period of time but don't rate him too much.
            My favourite boxing writer is Hugh Mcilvanney though I not sure how well known he is in America?
            New fellow I have been reading is Jim McNeill just finished his book That night at the garden and started They could've been contenders. Recommend both, maybe the Scots have a talent for writing about boxing god knows they love a fight
            I'm going to check out those writers, thanks for the information.

Sugar is widely considered the foremost authority on boxing here in America ; for better, or worse.

Overall ; I like him a lot. I love hearing his stories and insight into fights that took place long before I drew my first breath. And he's a pretty good writer in his own respect.

The only real beef I have with him is what I touched on earlier.

Comment

I'm going to check out those writers, thanks for the information.

Sugar is widely considered the foremost authority on boxing here in America ; for better, or worse.

Overall ; I like him a lot. I love hearing his stories and insight into fights that took place long before I drew my first breath. And he's a pretty good writer in his own respect.

The only real beef I have with him is what I touched on earlier.
              I'll always read Sugar like I did Fleischer before him just think that sometimes their writing becomes more them than the fighters. McNeil is new to me but both books are very good, Mcilvanney has been writing in papers for years and done a few documentaries. Do believe there is a compendium of his on boxing I have it but can't lay my hands on it at the moment, very good though you will enjoy it. In this corner by Peter Heller is a great book too, I keep mentioning it people must think I have shares in it! If you haven't read it, do, it is superb.

Comment

Tyson No. 100???!!!

WTF, can't believe he puts him last when he made a tremendous impact on the sport...any other fighter who enters the list would put Tyson out of the Top 100...nonsense...

Comment

I'll always read Sugar like I did Fleischer before him just think that sometimes their writing becomes more them than the fighters. McNeil is new to me but both books are very good, Mcilvanney has been writing in papers for years and done a few documentaries. Do believe there is a compendium of his on boxing I have it but can't lay my hands on it at the moment, very good though you will enjoy it. In this corner by Peter Heller is a great book too, I keep mentioning it people must think I have shares in it! If you haven't read it, do, it is superb.
                  The bolded part is very, very true of Sugar. Fleischer I cannot comment on at the moment, but that's the best take I've ever heard on Bert.

"In This Corner" has been spoken of quite highly around here, I plan on picking it up on amazon or ebay just as soon as work picks up ; it's coming my way highly reccomended.

Comment

Oh and the you I referred to was a genral you not directed at your good self.
                    I wasn't sure if it was, I just felt I needed to point out that I'm not a typical 23 year old NSB'er.

Comment

Originally posted by winky44 View Post
                      1. Sugar Ray Robinson
                      2. Henry Armstrong
                      3. Wille Pep
                      4. Joe Louis
                      5. Harry Greb
                      6. Benny Leonard
                      7. Muhammad Ali
                      8. Roberto Duran
                      9. Jack Dempsey
                      10. Jack Johnson

11. Mickey Walker
                      12. Tony Canzoneri
                      13. Gene Tunney
                      14. Rocky Marciano
                      15. Joe Gans
                      16. Sam Langford
                      17. Julio Cesar Chavez
                      18. Jimmy Wilde
                      19. Stanley Ketchel
                      20 Barney Ross

21, Jimmy McLarnin
                      22. Archie Moore
                      23. Marcel Cerdan
                      24. Ezzard Charles
                      25. Sugar Ray Leonard
                      26. Joe Walcott (The original)
                      27. Jake LaMotta
                      28. Eder Jofre
                      29. Emile Griffith
                      30. Terry McGovern

31. George Foreman
                      32. Johnny Dundee
                      33. Jose Napoles
                      34. Pascual Perez
                      35. Billy Conn
                      36. Ruben Olivares
                      37. Joe Frazier
                      38. Tommy Loughran
                      39. Sandy Saddler
                      40. Kid Chocolate
                      41. Abe Attell
                      42. Evander Holyfield
                      43. George Dixon
                      44. Maxie Rosenbloom
                      45. Larry Holmes
                      46. Ted "Kid" Lewis
                      47. Marvin Hagler
                      48. Pernell Whitaker
                      49. Carlos Zarate
                      50. Thomas Hearns

51. Battling Nelson
                      52. Beau Jack
                      53. Ricardo ;Lopez
                      54. John L. Sullivan
                      55. Carlos Monzon
                      56. Alexis Arguello
                      57. Carmen Basillio
                      58. Pete Herman
                      59. Charley Burley
                      60. Ike Williams
                      61. Kid Gavilan
                      62. Jack Britton
                      63. Dick Tiger
                      64. Pancho Villa
                      65. Panama Al Brown
                      66. Bob Fitszimmons
                      67. Philadelphia Jack O'Brien
                      68. Tiger Flowers
                      69. James J.Corbett
                      70. Tony Zale

71. Tommy Ryan
                      72. Georges Carpentier
                      73, Sonny Liston
                      74. "Kid" McCoy
                      75. Bob Foster
                      76. Freddie Welsh
                      77. Joe Jeanette
                      78. Jim Driscoll
                      79. Jersey Joe Walcott
                      80. Peter Jackson
                      81. Ad Wolgast
                      82. Jack Dempsey (The Nonpareil)
                      83. Manuel Ortiz
                      84. James J. Jeffries
                      85. Salvador Sanchez

86. Jimmy Barry
                      87. Carlos Ortiz
                      88. Roy Jones Jr.
                      89. Wilfredo Gomez
                      90. Aaron Pryor
                      91. Bernard Hopkins
                      92. Mike Gibbons
                      93. Jack Delaney
                      94. Johnny Kilbane
                      95. Willie Ritchie
                      96. Wilfredo Benitez
                      97. Packey McFarland
                      98. Rocky Graziano
                      99. Lew Jenkins
                      100. Mike Tyson
                      A Pathetic list........ what about the names he completely ignored............ There is a GLARING OMISSION IN THERE....... A TOTAL OUTRAGE......... EEERRRRAAAAAAAAHhhhgh... &8**$@@##@!HF9++.;'&......... you know what ???? I think it sucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X