Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Wladimir reach the levels of Lennox Lewis? Is he already better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Wladimir reach the levels of Lennox Lewis? Is he already better?

This has always been a subject of debate between me and my college roommate, she is a huge fan of Lennox Lewis and feel like that at times she sees flashes of Lennox in Wladimir. I feel the same way, they are roughly around the same height, same weight, both got great jabs, both are amazing athletic super heavyweights and both use Manny Steward as a trainer and fight at times in a way that protect their not so great chins.

First off, let's make this clear. Resume and ATG Ranking wise, it will be very very hard for Wlad to surpass Lewis, not because he's not good enough but because the current era is not good enough for Wlad. You can only beat what is put in front of you and what's put in front of Wlad is truely a reflection of the hard times the HW Division has fallen upon. Nevertheless, in terms of pure skills, Wladimir is surely already a top 7-4 ATG. He is just as fast as Lennox, just as strong, slightly more power, and a tad more of an athlete. He does not have the inside fighting skills of Lewis(not yet) and he obviously lack the huge uppercut which Lennox loved to demolish opponents with.

One of the issues with Wlad like I mentioned before, is a lack of quality opponents to test himself against. So we don't really get to see just how far he has come. Lennox Lewis blew out some prime super heavyweights during his time in a way that we don't know if Wladimir could have done. Could Wlad do the same to a prime Golota who has just came off back to back beatings of Riddick Bowe the way Lewis did? Or will Wladimir jab Prime Golota to a UD Victory? Could Wladimir destroy a Prime Ruddock and a Prime Michael Grant within a few rounds the way Lennox did? Or will he clinch and jab to a late knockout in a boring fight?
    Could Wladimir fight his way back like Lewis did against Bruno,Briggs, and even Vitali(during the worst and last phase of Lennox's career) or would Wladimir fold? Wladimir showed true courage and an ability to fight back against a slugging Samuel Peter when he was down multiple times and with the scorecards narrowing, he dug deep. But that is Samuel Peter. can we honestly say that prime version of Samuel Peter even beat David Tua? Someone who Lennox dominated for 12 rounds. These questions have not yet been answered, and I only hope they will be within the next 2-3 years. I hope Wladimir will be tested in ways he was never tested before.
    That being said, on a pure skill front I say yes. He has reached Lennox's Level, maybe not surpass but he is surely just as good now in terms of skills and abilities. The right hand, the jab, the movement, they might not look quite as slick as Lennox's but they are just as good.

There are a bunch of prospects coming through. Two names jump out more then the others and that is Olympian Favorite Anthony Joshua and his fellow British super heavyweight David Price. The main issue is that by the time they are both prime, Wladimir will be in his late 30's and on the downside. Unless the likes of Seth Mitchell and Bryant Jennings step up their game considerably within 1-2 years and unless David Haye actaully go to fight, Wlad will continue to fight C+ Level opponents to build a resume of stats instead of a resume of legacies.

Wladimir might be boring, he might be in a weak era, but one thing that can not be denied is Wladimir equals pure class. They say boxers should never be role models, well Wladimir is my role model and I have never regret looking up to Wlad. Not on how to be a great boxer, not on how to be a great entertainer, but on how to be a great human being.
    Yes. He has
    21.92%
    No, not there yet
    72.60%
    Wladimir will one day surpass Lennox
    5.48%

please explain yourself

Comment

It don't matter who Wladimir beats because once he has it automatically makes them bums on this website.

Wladimir will not get the true credit he deserves until he is long retired & we're left with Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury & the other jokes of the heavyweight division.

Wladimir is an ATG & very few of these so called heavyweight greats could hang with him, head-to-head.

Comment

that's too much to read, and your username is really gay
        anyway, Lewis beat better opponents
        but Wlad is actually even more dominant than Lewis was
        Wlad hasn't looked vulnerable since 05, barely even lost any rds
        unified like Lewis did and somehow maintained all his belts

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          It don't matter who Wladimir beats because once he has it automatically makes them bums on this website.

Wladimir will not get the true credit he deserves until he is long retired & we're left with Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury & the other jokes of the heavyweight division.

Wladimir is an ATG & very few of these so called heavyweight greats could hang with him, head-to-head.
          Great Post. Thank you for reply. I feel the same way. I try to be an unbias Wladimir fan. I DO ADMIT that the current era have an extremely high amount of bums though. The Tony Thompson Wlad fought could have been beaten by just about every top 10 contenter from the 90's. That being said, in my opinion ONLY ALI, TYSON AND LEWIS will be considered favorites against Wladimir.
          I have Wlad in my top 10-15 ATG List, resume wise, and top 5 H2H.
          When his career is over, I feel Wlad will be a top 7 ATG. He is boring nowadays because of Manny Steward. Also because he have a glass chin. I admit it, no shame in admiting your fighter's flaws. Jim Lamprey once said
          'Wlad's chin make Lennox Lewis look like Granite', the thing is Wlad has become so good, nobody can get to his chin now.

Comment

People say Wladimirs opposition has been bad but if you look at his last 16 opponents, all back-to-back, that is some real solid guys.

Haye, Ibragimov, Castillo, Chagaev, Brock, Peter, Brewster, Chambers etc

Maybe not ATG material but certainly far from bums, especially at the time he fought them where most was undefeated and coming off some very respectable wins. All those guys was around even odds or a slight underdog & picked by many to win, he shut out just about everyone out.

K.Oing 13 of the 16, losing only a handful of rounds in the process.

Comment

He will never get anywhere near Lennox Lewis regardless of what he does with the rest of his career.

Comment

I don't think he is as good as Lewis and I don't think Lewis is all that great, but he took a little more chances than Wlad. If Wlad got the job done better against the level of fighters he's faced, I'd say him and Lewis are pretty close. I think Wlads whole problem is he has a weak chin and has to protect it too much.

Comment

Not going to read all of that but to answer the title.

No and No he never will be.

Lennox is a top 10 ATG heavyweight at the least personally I think top 5, Wlad could never hope to achieve that kind of status.

Also prime for prime I see no other outcome than a Lewis K.O.
                  Last edited by -Lowkey-; 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

People said the same thing about Lewis & his chin was far from granite.
                    He often fought very cautiously and was far from the killer hes made out to be today. He was very safety first & fought similarly to Wladimir does now with often maybe even less urgency.

I think Wladimirs chin is a bit of a myth, I do think his chin is shaky but I wouldn't say it was glass/as bad as its made out to be. Most/all the legit knockdowns was from huge punchers such as Sanders, Panell & mainly through exhaustion as well as Peters infamous rabbit punches to the back of the head.

People are just so harsh of the brothers, its ridiculous. If they took guys out early doors I.E like Tyson, they would moan about that too lol

Comment

Working...
                    X