No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jose Ocampo Named As New Opponent For Ricky Burns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jose Ocampo Named As New Opponent For Ricky Burns

By Jake Donovan - Ricky Burns once again has an opponent for his December 15 lightweight title defense in London.

The streaking two-division titlist will now face Jose Ocampo of the Philippines, who replaces an injured Liam Walsh.

"I’d say that this is going to be the hardest fight of my career so far against a young hungry challenger who will be looking to take my title,” said Burns (35-2, 10KO), who makes the third defense of the lightweight belt he won over a year ago.

“Filipino fighters are as tough as they come, just look at (Manny) Pacquiao and Nonito Donaire. [T]hey come to have a fight and Ocampo will do just that. If he fights like those two, as people say he does, then I’ll be in for a tough night.” [Click Here To Read More]

Burns wants no part of Broner. Can you blame him?

Comment

Hahahahahahaha.... funnies

Comment

What happened to Broner?

Comment

Originally posted by Priest Andretti View Post
          What happened to Broner?
          Burns already had a defence lined up for December, he and his promoter are on record as saying they want a Broner unification next, sometime in March/April. Pretty well-documented.

Comment

It's a real shame that Burns is with a promoter who isn't willing to let him make the most of his talent. I don't think he'd beat Broner but he might be better than DeMarco, Vasquez and Abril. Or he might lose to all of them. I doubt we'll get a chance to find out.

Also, while this is a late replacement and therefore it's not surprising that the opponent isn't that good, the original opponent (Walsh) was not a legitimate choice for a world title defence by a guy who claims to be the best in the division.

Comment

The last two people Ocampo faced didn't even have a winning record WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrain View Post
                Burns already had a defence lined up for December, he and his promoter are on record as saying they want a Broner unification next, sometime in March/April. Pretty well-documented.
                This ^^^. I don't necessarily think this means Team Burns are ducking Broner. I think they might just be sticking with the original game plan. Cause this is pretty well-documented as mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                  It's a real shame that Burns is with a promoter who isn't willing to let him make the most of his talent. I don't think he'd beat Broner but he might be better than DeMarco, Vasquez and Abril. Or he might lose to all of them. I doubt we'll get a chance to find out.

Also, while this is a late replacement and therefore it's not surprising that the opponent isn't that good, the original opponent (Walsh) was not a legitimate choice for a world title defence by a guy who claims to be the best in the division.
                  Burns is fast becoming another Joe Calzaghe defending his title against a long line of bums who have no business fighting for world honors.Gavin Rees would have been a half decent test for Burns but thats the only competitive fight in the UK for him lightweight.Frank Warren his promoter will keep Ricky fighting bums for as long as he can until they are backed into a corner and have no choice but to fight a decent contender.I dont think the Broner fight will ever happen,Broner will fight one more time at lightweight and then move up to Jr WW while Burns will stay in Scotland fighting unranked opponents.

Comment

Walsh was a bad opponent for Burns but now Ocampo....that's even worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X