No announcement yet.

Jeff Mayweather: "if the fight is really gonna happen it has to happen now"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Mayweather: "if the fight is really gonna happen it has to happen now"

WITH headlines swirling abut potential negotiations being underway for the proposed super fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. 42-0 (26) and Manny Pacquiao 54-3-2 (38), it's no surprise to see Mayweather's other uncle, Jeff Mayweather's name inked out in several recent articles. I caught up with the revered trainer just hours before this past weekend's Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito rematch to discuss mostly, his charge, Celestino Caballero's 35-4 (23) upcoming WBA World featherweight title defense in Yokohama, Japan against Satoshi Hosono 21-1 (15). Check out what he had to say about that and much more, including Caballero's future, branching out from boxing, and of course the super fight that has boxing fans across the globe salivating.

On Celestino Caballero's next opponent, Satoshi Hosono...
    "I had a chance to watch him. He's tough, he's a tough guy."

The game plan on beating Hosono...
    "Our game plan is to box, pretty much the same gameplan we had for (Jason) Barros. You know, the last fight with Barros, Celestino fought exactly like I wanted him to. You know, I wanted him to go out there and box, take advantage of his height and reach. He likes to go out there and mix it up, but I think he showed in his last fight that he can box. From here on out, I think it probably sunk into his head how easy it was to win that fight by boxing. I hope that seed is implanted now and that's what we gonna be doing from now on."

The potential for a Caballero-Yuriorkis Gamboa clash despite the difficulties in putting the fight together before...
    "I got to a point where me and Celestino sat down and we talked and I just told him, you know, there's no reason to chase these guys anymore. Because.. I mean the thing is you can't make anybody fight you. I don't care what you say, what you do, that's not gonna make them fight you. And so basically I just told him, you have a great legacy, I mean, you're a 5-time world champion so you don't have to chase nobody. You know, Celestino's done great with his money. He's not one of those guys who's attached to boxing for the rest of his life, or one of those guys fighting in his 40's or just because he needs money. I mean he's in a great, great place in his career and his life."

The plan for Caballero if he gets by Hosono...
    "I would hope to get the winner of Juanma (Lopez) and (Orlando) Salido, or either the unification with Billy Dib, umm, or possibly fighting Chris John. You know, every division has more than one champion and these fights right here would determine who's the real champion at that weight class. There's plenty of avenues that we can approach and I hope that at least 1 of those become a reality for our next fight, but we gotta take care of this first, you know. Before we jump the gun on anything else, 'cause we've been in someone else's back yard and been robbed before, so there's no saying that that can't happen again. Of course, God willing, it won't happen, but that's something you always have to think about."

Fighting in the opponent's back yard yet again (despite being champion)...
    "I think it shows what kind of fighter Celestino is and his character. Every time he's won (a world title) it's been on foreign soil, so going to someone's back yard is not a big deal to him. With him it's like okay, wherever I gotta go to win a world title, then that's where I'ma go. So, you know, fortunately for him he's been able to become champion on foreign soil time and time again. So I think for him personally, it's not a big deal."

Acclimating to the climate and time difference in Yokohama, Japan...
    "Umm, The 21st. We're looking at about 10 days and that should be enough time to get acclimated because the most important thing is the time difference. I think it's like 8 or 9 hours time, almost like half a day, so you know, that's gonna take a little time to get adjusted to, so your body can adjust so we won't be sleeping come fight time (laughing)."

Working with other fighters...
    "I'm not really working with any name fighters right now, you know. Celestino, right now, he's the one marquee fighter that I have. I was working with marquee MMA guys. You know, I was working with Vitor Belfort. I was working with King Mo, and there was a possibility of me working with umm... what's the guy's name? George.. St. Pierre? Yeah, that is a possibility. Those are the things I'm looking into to you know, expand in the MMA world. Thanks to Mo, he basically got me and these guys in touch. It's cool, because they are excited about working with a boxing trainer, you know, that has a little accolades under is belt (laughing). "

Working with former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion King Mo...
    "With Mo, I mean, it's fun working with this guy. It's like I've known him practically all my life. The way we get along is like we grew up together, you know. I mean this guy is a tremendous, tremendous puncher, and that's the one thing, for him it's not really that hard. He makes the work easy because he loves boxing. I think he loves boxing more than MMA, but he knows he's good at what he do, and that's where his money is. It's not in boxing. But, he really is a student of boxing, he really is. Like I said, he's a pleasure to work with, great guy, great personality. You know, we laugh and joke but we get the work done. Of course he's coming off his biggest win knocking out Roger Gracie, and it's ironic, he knocked him out with a punch that we only worked on for a week. You know, he said look Jeff, this is the guy I gotta fight. I went and I looked him up on YouTube and saw that he was much taller than Mo. So I said Mo, you gotta learn how to throw an overhand right for this guy. You know, and we only had a week to work and I stayed on him about throwing that overhand right, and the rest is history. I mean that's the shot that he landed and that was the end of the night. That let me know that he's not just going through the motions and he actually took heed to what I was trying to convey to him. "

Branching out...
    *Me and a good friend of mine partnered up on the website (www.pro*************.com) , and of course I'm trying to expand my horizons outside of boxing as a trainer. You know, reaching out to a bunch of fighters, and I think that's the fun part, we have a lot of fighters that you can actually got to the site and ask them questions and you get answers from that fighter and it's really them, as opposed to like on Facebook, there's so many fake people it's ridiculous. You kinda get a chance to get a feel for what that person is really like. I think that's the strongest part of our site and that's the part I like the most, being able to interact with the fans."

The effect Pacquiao-Marquez 3 has on making Floyd vs Manny a possibility...
    "Well I think if the fight is really gonna happen it has to happen now because if Manny as another bad performance, in which if he fights (Juan Manuel) Marquez again he's gonna have the exact same performance or something very close to it. You know, he's not fittin' to devastate Marquez, he's not fittin' to knock Marquez out and make people jump back on the bandwagon, he's not gonna do that. So fighting Marquez is stupid, you know, business wise it makes sense if you think he's gonna do something spectacular, but he's not. So it makes no sense to make that fight before you make the Floyd fight, when you have followers behind Manny that don't care what he do, they think he's the greatest thing since ice cream. So the fight has a little value, but if you turn around and you fight Tim Bradley, who really brings nothing to the table, so fighting Tim Bradley means nothing. Chances are you're probably not gonna knock him out. You might beat him but you're gonna look bad with Tim Bradley 'cause that's what Tim Bradley does, he makes everybody look bad. He makes everybody look bad,then you count the numbers, what does he bring to the table? It's a pay-per-view fight, Tim Bradley brings nothing. So that's just another tough fight and actually it's gonna devalue you even more. Once that happens what's the sense in making the fight? Because if you get exposed by Tim Bradley or Marquez again, the luster of the fight is gone. It's no more Floyd and Manny, it's Floyd and then Manny way down here because Manny's been exposed too many times back to back. So it's a fight that has to happen now because if it don't, it's not gonna make sense."

Negotiations between nephew, Floyd, and Manny Pacquiao...
    "To be honest I can't 100% say that I know what's really going on. I know there have been some potential negotiations going on you could say. But I'm not really in a position to say you know, what's happening or what's taking place. For me that's something like, when it happens it happens. Because me going out and saying something and then it don't happen, that looks bad. You know, or me saying it's not gonna happen and then it turn around and it does happen. So, (laughing) I keep what I know to myself and if it happens, everybody'll know at the same time, just like me. I'm kinda keeping myself in the dark, even though I kinda know what's going on, I'm just kinda keeping myself in the dark because to me negotiations mean nothing until something happens."

Last words for the fans...
    "Well you kinda mentioned it, just that I have the website now. Anybody who wants to participate in Pro Boxing Insider, like I said I'm trying to make it a fan-friendly website you know, where you can interact with fighters, myself, and so on. So that's basically the one thing I wanna get out there more than anything right now. Anyone that's a fan of the fighters on there, or of mine, or of one of my fighters go ahead and participate."

True. Manny looked very beatable against marquez and mosley like he lost his edge. His killer instinct. Kind of reminds me of GSP getting complacent and hesistant. Floyd looked flat footed against Ortiz but then again he did against Hatton too since their wasnt much space. But both are peaked and closer to the edge of dropping off since they are in their primes, Its now or never.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Clip View Post
      True. Manny looked very beatable against marquez and mosley like he lost his edge. His killer instinct. Kind of reminds me of GSP getting complacent and hesistant. Floyd looked flat footed against Ortiz but then again he did against Hatton too since their wasnt much space. But both are peaked and closer to the edge of dropping off since they are in their primes, Its now or never.
      He lost his CW edge against slow fighters is what he lost , under the same conditions he would do the same to Margo and Cotto all over again , Manny was over hyped because of Hatton ODH Cotto and Margo everyone had weight issues and poor form going in , Manny is not his hype when he is in with good boxers with speed ,,,

Comment

If manny looked "bad" than how come al haymon won't pick up his damn phone?

How come when Koncz told floyd fight to his face that Pac wanted to fight he says "I ain't signing **** until the defamation case is settled"?

How come still the need for OSDT which isn't really OSDT because it isn't year round?

stay ducking floyd - rude jude

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
          If manny looked "bad" than how come al haymon won't pick up his damn phone?

How come when Koncz told floyd fight to his face that Pac wanted to fight he says "I ain't signing **** until the defamation case is settled"?

How come still the need for OSDT which isn't really OSDT because it isn't year round?

stay ducking floyd - rude jude
          1- There's nothing for him to pick up the phone talk about until the suit is dropped

2- Really? Would you enter into a business deal w/ someone who is taking you to court? Get real

3- Supposedly Pacquiao agreed to take the tests so that's a dead issue

Comment

Originally posted by RAW View Post
            1- There's nothing for him to pick up the phone talk about until the suit is dropped

2- Really? Would you enter into a business deal w/ someone who is taking you to court? Get real

3- Supposedly Pacquiao agreed to take the tests so that's a dead issue
            1. Pac ain't dropping ****. And why did he say talk to Al haymon in that very recent interview? And in that video he said he was ready to sign the contract today, he didn't say **** about the suit.

2. Yes I would because if I knew he had a open and shut case against me that is gonna cost me millions and that I am very likely going to jail soon and I only have 2-3 more years of being competitive (but will most likely be in jail) than i would definatly look for a career high payday now

3. My point was if Pac looked "bad" as floyd and jeff said, why still demand OSDT (which isn't really OSDT) because its doesn't make any sense and makes them all look like dumbasses.

Stay ducking floyd - rude jude aka floyds daddy

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
              1. Pac ain't dropping ****. And why did he say talk to Al haymon in that very recent interview? And in that video he said he was ready to sign the contract today, he didn't say **** about the suit.

2. Yes I would because if I knew he had a open and shut case against me that is gonna cost me millions and that I am very likely going to jail soon and I only have 2-3 more years of being competitive (but will most likely be in jail) than i would definatly look for a career high payday now

3. My point was if Pac looked "bad" as floyd and jeff said, why still demand OSDT (which isn't really OSDT) because its doesn't make any sense and makes them all look like dumbasses.

Stay ducking floyd - rude jude aka floyds daddy
              Pac will likely drop the suit because from what I've seen it's shaky at best. Even though he's taken a hit since the PED stuff it's hard to say how it's hurt him. He's still making millions off his fights & has even more endorsements. I believe Nike is talking about doing a whole Pac-Man line. All of the cases against Floyd will be dropped or changed to a lesser offenses that will put him in no danger of jail time. He brings a **** load of money into Vegas, doubt they are in a rush to put an end to that. Honestly at this point they can't drop the OST for any reason. Dont be foolish, we've all heard Floyd give a possible reason for Manny's bad night against Marquez.

Comment

Working...
              X