Tommy burns and australian squires.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy burns and australian squires.

TOMMY BURNS AND AUSTRALIAN SQUIRES.
    After Jeffries quit the fighting game, there were just two heavyweight ring events in which it was considered that the championship of the world was involved. The first of these was the battle between Tommy Burns and Champion Bill Squires of Australia. The other was a championship struggle beyond doubt. Reference is made to the bout in far away Australia when Burns lost his newly acquired title to Jack Johnson, and a black man for the first time in pugilistic history was hailed premier heavyweight fighter of the world.

In the Burns-Squires affair there were arguments as to whether the meeting was really entitled to be considered a fight for the championship. On the plea that Burns had beaten the best of the white heavyweights, and that Tommy was entitled to bar black men the way Jeffries had done before retiring and the further plea that Squires had proved himself the king-pin of the Australian heavies, the majority of sporting men graciously admitted that the Squires-Burns fight
    should be considered a world's championship engagement.

Squires trained for the fight at Billy Shannon's in San Rafael, and Barney Reynolds supervised the Australian champion's preparation. Tommy Burns trained at Harbin Springs under the guidance of Professor Lewis.

The men met in Coffroth's Mission-Street arena on July 4, 1907. When the opening gong clanged, and Referee Jeffries motioned the men together, Burns backed around the ring and Squires followed. The Australian made a couple of lunges at the little fellow who was dancing away from him, and then tried to wedge Burns into a corner. Burns clinched, and
    laughed as he leaned his chin on Squires' shoulder.

"Break," yelled Jeffries, and as they dropped their arms Burns bounded lightly to mid-ring. Squires began to crowd his man again. Burns waited until the Australian champion came within striking distance, and then sent in a right hander which sounded like the crack of a pistol. Squires went to the floor and rolled over. He was blinking as he arose, and there was a big lump on the side of his left eye.

Although unsteady and dazed, Squires lumbered after Burns, and as Tommy went into a clinch the Australian dealt the Canadian a stiff right hand body punch, and followed it with a left hander on the side of the face. It looked for a moment as though the body punch had hurt Burns, but Tommy pulled out of the clinch, and felled Squires with another snappy right hander.
    Squires fell a second time, and the finish was in sight. He arose clumsily, and lurched toward Burns. Burns measured him now with a third right hander, and before Squires tumbled, gave him still another. This time Squires went down for keeps. He was too far gone to make the slightest effort at getting to his feet, and was counted out.

Burns was lifted shoulder high and carried from the ring by his friends.

Originally posted by rob snell View Post
    TOMMY BURNS AND AUSTRALIAN SQUIRES.
    After Jeffries quit the fighting game, there were just two heavyweight ring events in which it was considered that the championship of the world was involved. The first of these was the battle between Tommy Burns and Champion Bill Squires of Australia. The other was a championship struggle beyond doubt. Reference is made to the bout in far away Australia when Burns lost his newly acquired title to Jack Johnson, and a black man for the first time in pugilistic history was hailed premier heavyweight fighter of the world.

In the Burns-Squires affair there were arguments as to whether the meeting was really entitled to be considered a fight for the championship. On the plea that Burns had beaten the best of the white heavyweights, and that Tommy was entitled to bar black men the way Jeffries had done before retiring and the further plea that Squires had proved himself the king-pin of the Australian heavies, the majority of sporting men graciously admitted that the Squires-Burns fight
    should be considered a world's championship engagement.

Squires trained for the fight at Billy Shannon's in San Rafael, and Barney Reynolds supervised the Australian champion's preparation. Tommy Burns trained at Harbin Springs under the guidance of Professor Lewis.

The men met in Coffroth's Mission-Street arena on July 4, 1907. When the opening gong clanged, and Referee Jeffries motioned the men together, Burns backed around the ring and Squires followed. The Australian made a couple of lunges at the little fellow who was dancing away from him, and then tried to wedge Burns into a corner. Burns clinched, and
    laughed as he leaned his chin on Squires' shoulder.

"Break," yelled Jeffries, and as they dropped their arms Burns bounded lightly to mid-ring. Squires began to crowd his man again. Burns waited until the Australian champion came within striking distance, and then sent in a right hander which sounded like the crack of a pistol. Squires went to the floor and rolled over. He was blinking as he arose, and there was a big lump on the side of his left eye.

Although unsteady and dazed, Squires lumbered after Burns, and as Tommy went into a clinch the Australian dealt the Canadian a stiff right hand body punch, and followed it with a left hander on the side of the face. It looked for a moment as though the body punch had hurt Burns, but Tommy pulled out of the clinch, and felled Squires with another snappy right hander.
    Squires fell a second time, and the finish was in sight. He arose clumsily, and lurched toward Burns. Burns measured him now with a third right hander, and before Squires tumbled, gave him still another. This time Squires went down for keeps. He was too far gone to make the slightest effort at getting to his feet, and was counted out.

Burns was lifted shoulder high and carried from the ring by his friends.
    excellent, I've been looking for threads like this.... nice read.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      excellent, I've been looking for threads like this.... nice read.
      I highly doubt these two were the best heavyweights on the planet at the time. Next to Jeffries, they look like his children. Neither knows how to jab. Neither understands defense. Neither can fight on the inside. They just wind up and throw roundhouse punches, which connect, because neither guy can slip a punch or move his head.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUDIXdef9rU

Comment

I have a mpeg laying around of that fight if anyone wants it let me know here.

And robsnell, welcome to boxingscene. I ran into you at several forums in the past and your oldschool pieces are gold.

Comment

thanks

Hi mate and thanks a lot for that.As you know i do really love the old historical reports, many of them a real mix of sadness and absolute humour. I will try and do regular posts so keep an eye out for them.

cheers

Comment

Excellent! There are a few things I wanna hit on.

1 OP was excellent. I'm not sure if you wrote that or not, but it reads really easy. I like Tommy he was a game boxer. Plus there has to be a Tommy Burns for " Is you havin' fun mistah Tommy?" to be so damn pleasing. Tommy's more a symbol of course, but hell JJ would have schooled any honkie of the era. I'm glad your here. I'm a huge fan of learning, and all too much of posts are opinions being thrown around like fact.

2 Chin- Not everyone is a fan of, or even cares about, anything that can be labled skill. Some of us are fans of traits. This is an ancient argument. For a longer period of time than not backing up wasn't proof of skill, ever, it was proof of weakness. Everything is P.O.V. I like Jeffries too, but it isn't fair to Tommy to allow Jeffries to over shadow, and certainly isn't fair to the blacks of the era. Tommy burns was a sham because Jack was around, so was Sam, and a few other choice names. But like I said Tommy's more of a symbol.

3 TBear- I'd love that mpeg.

Comment

hi

Its adapted from an article I found a long time back and I don't recall where from. I usually note the source and date but missed it out for some reason. I literally have tens of thousands of these articles stored away on hard drives an dvd,s. If you visit the site I run there are plenty available

boxingbiographies.com and I do a newsletter every couple of weeks and they are available from several sites on the net. The newest being on the cyber boxing zone where they have set up a separate forum for me to post them all.

I will post them here fairly soon - maybe later today.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

3 TBear- I'd love that mpeg.
                Quality isn't great but remember it is a 104 years ago. Half a century before they even had tv.

Tommy Burns vs. Squires

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=175RACZY

Comment

Thats bloody great Rob. I love the site.

Thanks a bunch Tbear. It's neat to see still init?

Comment

Originally posted by Dubblechin View Post
                    I highly doubt these two were the best heavyweights on the planet at the time. Next to Jeffries, they look like his children. Neither knows how to jab. Neither understands defense. Neither can fight on the inside. They just wind up and throw roundhouse punches, which connect, because neither guy can slip a punch or move his head.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUDIXdef9rU
                    Well the fact is that Johnson was the best HW at that time. Squires would have had very little formal boxing training,,,, Burns,,,, well he's barely more than a MW,,, for that reason I rate Burns as an underated champ..... of course we know what Jack did to Burns.

Comment

Working...
                    X