Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime James Toney vs Andre Ward @168

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have little doubt that Ward would win. He hasn't lost a fight since he was 10 years old or something. He's too versatile for Toney. Toney never was unbeatable, just extremely stylish.

Comment

I miss these types of threads in NSB. Great posts.

Somehow, I see Toney catching Ward with something big on the inside, one of those looping, almost nonsensical, but educated uppercuts, and using the momentum achieved from said punch carrying him to a close S.D. win.

People would ***** and moan about it be "boring", but the fight would be slicker then trying to ice skate uphill in Alaska with oil drenched hockey skates.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
        I have little doubt that Ward would win. He hasn't lost a fight since he was 10 years old or something. He's too versatile for Toney. Toney never was unbeatable, just extremely stylish.
        Toney was just extremely stylish? Never heard that before and if by that you are trying to imply that he wasn't that skilled only that he was extremely stylish then I have no idea what to say to you. That left me dumbfounded

Comment

Originally posted by AyoMaDu View Post
          Toney was just extremely stylish? Never heard that before and if by that you are trying to imply that he wasn't that skilled only that he was extremely stylish then I have no idea what to say to you. That left me dumbfounded
          I implied nothing. I stated exactly what I meant. Great too watch, but not unbeatable...especially for boxers with good footwork.

Comment

I voted for Toney. The Toney that beat Barkley was to good for Ward in my opinion.

Comment

dunno. awesome fight though

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                I voted for Toney. The Toney that beat Barkley was to good for Ward in my opinion.
                That Toney probably beats every MW not named Hagler/Roy Jones

Comment

Originally posted by AyoMaDu View Post
                  Wards not prime yet? I abso-fukn-lutely disagree.
                  No, I mean we haven't see his 'prime' yet. The Froch fight wasn't Ward's prime. there is no way that was his peak.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
                    I'm a big Toney fan. But, I disagree with what you just said. How is Ward a bad outside fighter. He's shown he can box inside, outside and at medium range. I think Ward would give Toney different looks throughout the fight, keeping Toney guessing. I'd say they're about equal in speed, if anything Ward being faster. They're also two COMPLETELY different fighters on the inside.

I think Ward's skill level, timing, the angles he comes from, chameleon-like versatility, and talent would at the very least make this fight very close, if not, Ward pulls out a 115-113 116-112 kind of win. That's coming from a LONGTIME Toney fan. Toney struggled badly with "boxers" like Ward. Guys who played the angles, who had elite boxing skills, who could give you different looks. Toney did best with guys he could allow to come to him, where he could relax and time guys while laying back on the ropes. When guys flipped the script on Toney, and used lateral movement and played the angles, he had big problems.

All I can say is, this would be a magnificent display of elite, high speed chess-like boxing.
                    Toney has way more handspeed than Ward, and Toney can crack. Ward isn't like freakishly fast like RJJ was, I don't even consider him to have much handspeed. He is a very good well rounded boxer, not excellent in anything specific but covers all his bases. James Toney had some of the best timing of all time, thats why he is one of the greatest counter punchers ever and arguably the greatest in-fighter of all time. Ward would lose bad. He had trouble with Montell Griffin, but I don't see Ward able to fight that kind of fight with him.

Comment

Originally posted by timboslice708 View Post
                      That Toney probably beats every MW not named Hagler/Roy Jones
                      Too bad that Toney wasn't a MW....

Comment

Working...
                      X