No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tszyu Admits Lebdev Was Overtrained, Nearly Stopped It

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tszyu Admits Lebdev Was Overtrained, Nearly Stopped It

Hall of Fame ex-champion Kostya Tszyu will remain as the head trainer of former cruiserweight champ Denis Lebedev (25-2, 19KOs), according to the coach himself. Lebdev plans to make some changes with his team in the wake of the eleventh round knockout loss to Guillermo Jones on May 17th.

The right side of Lebedev's face was horrific. The right eye was badly swollen shut. And there were cuts around both of his eyes.

There were critics, including Jones, who were shocked that Lebedev's corner did not stop the fight in the earlier rounds - when considering the facet that Lebdev was fighting with one eye.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I understand where he's coming from. Lebedev is a big puncher who was landing monster shot after monster shot, he could have scored a KO at any moment.

Comment

Could have?
      Lebedev's eye was shut by the 6th and his face was growing another head

Comment

It's really hard to understand how Lebedev can want to make changes without getting rid of the guy who admittedly overtrained him and failed to stop the fight when 99% of trainers in the sport would have stopped it.

Hell Buddy McGirt would have stopped that fight in the 4th round.

Comment

To leave him in there brought nothing but disgrace on the entire promotion. The corner should have stopped it, but didn't, the ref should have stopped it, but didn't and, failing all else, the doctor should have stopped it, but didn't. Can somebody, ANYBODY, please tell me, who exactly was looking out for the best interests of a clearly very brave but badly damaged fighter?

Lebedev will be a very, VERY lucky man if no serious, lasting damage has been done. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was a career ending injury.

Shame on everyone involved that night, they could have got the poor guy killed.

Comment

Originally posted by xLuKeYx View Post
            To leave him in there brought nothing but disgrace on the entire promotion. The corner should have stopped it, but didn't, the ref should have stopped it, but didn't and, failing all else, the doctor should have stopped it, but didn't. Can somebody, ANYBODY, please tell me, who exactly was looking out for the best interests of a clearly very brave but badly damaged fighter?

Lebedev will be a very, VERY lucky man if no serious, lasting damage has been done. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was a career ending injury.

Shame on everyone involved that night, they could have got the poor guy killed.
            These guys are the real culprits. The trainer is emotionally involved and is not the best judge on whether or not to stop a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              These guys are the real culprits. The trainer is emotionally involved and is not the best judge on whether or not to stop a fight.
              I still think any trainer worth a damn would have stopped it, but yes, more onus should be placed on them.

Whilst it may not have been obvious, I made a point of listing them in order of who I thought should have stopped it. If not the trainer, then the ref and if not the ref, then the doctor.

Comment

The overtraining excuse is not holding up well. Lebdev was in good condition and was landing some massive shots but Jones took them like it was nothing and came back with his own bag of tricks.

Lebdev just got beat by a great fighter who took the fight to him. No shame in that. The fight should've been stopped earlier though. I can understand Tszyu and I'm sure Lebdev wanted to continue himself. I think the ref and ring doctor should've acted. I'm surprising the ring doctor even gave him the green light to continue when the ref wanted him to look at Lebdev's eye.

Comment

Guillermo Jones was otherworldy Lebedev with wins over Jones and Toney and fighting in the former Soviet Union, there was no way they wanted him beat, that's why they never stopped it and they nearly killed the man.

Comment

Anyone with an eye injury that bad should have been pulled out by a responsible corner. It's just not worth it for the sake of an L on your record. Really irresponsible and career shortening decision by Tszyu and his team.

Comment

Working...
                    X