No announcement yet.

Reality Check Time #1: Andre Ward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality Check Time #1: Andre Ward

Andre Ward is a good fighter, he might even be very good, but he is not "great" as yet.

He has good wins, but he has faced no great Variety of styles.

Mikkel Kessler, good win, albeit in his back yard and involving several headbutts. Kessler is a good fighter, but if you can negate his jab and avoid his straight shots he is simple to de-construct.

Allen Green, another good performance, totally outworked and outhustled Green who is a big puncher, though very limited. For me it's a big minus that despite his dominance, Ward never looked like getting the notoriously fragile Green out of there.

Arthur Abraham, Arthur was too small to compete at 168lbs any-more, his confidence was also shot from the beatings he took from Dirrell and Froch. Ward did what he had to in outpointing Ward, but it's not a great win by that stage.

Carl Froch, another good win, similar to Kessler. Although i saw this as not the best performance, Froch's worst night where he started ridiculously slowly and was far too wide with his shots, still Ward got the job done.

As you can see, Ward has done pretty well against some good fighters, however he has only fought "away" from home one time, and that was still in America, he has also never fought a quick fighter, all of them have been limited in their own way.

Going into the Dawson fight we will really find out what Ward has, an I for one see it as a 50-50 fight that could go either way.

Conclusion:

Andre Ward is good, but not yet great.

He's a great fighter in my book, with a very good resume.

A few more big wins and he becomes a great fighter with a great resume.

Comment

He dominated the Super Six and cleaned out 168 in a time when the division is stacked.

What more does he have to do?

Comment

Originally posted by M0NZ0N View Post
        He dominated the Super Six and cleaned out 168 in a time when the division is stacked.

Beat a fighter who isn't slow and actually MOVES in the ring

He has his chance with Dawson, if he loses, to a weight drained dawson, then we will know won't we.

Styles make fights

Ward has only fought slow style fighters.
        Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

He''s fought slow, stationary fighters but the best fighters at 168 are slow and stationary so it's not really his fault. I like the Dawson matchup but would rather it be at 175.

Comment

Originally posted by M0NZ0N View Post

Originally posted by BamBam13
            i'm intrigued by a dirrel vs ward match up
            I myself think that is a very interesing fight.

Personally I think Andre and Anthony Dirrell and even Lucian Bute and George Groves, stylistically give ward more problems than the guys he has fought

Comment

Ward is a good boxer and seems like a really nice guy.

I just hate when fighters go into fights without the intention of finishing the other guy.

Comment

One of my top 3 P4P. With a win against Dawson hes a bonafide star.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
                  Ward is a good boxer and seems like a really nice guy.

I just hate when fighters go into fights without the intention of finishing the other guy.
                  here...here..

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                    One of my top 3 P4P. With a win against Dawson hes a bonafide star.
                    How can he be Pound for Pound top 3?

he's "sort of" dominated an ok division and that's it.

Pac man
                    Marquez
                    PBF
                    Martinez

all of these guys have moved through weight divisions and beaten better competition than Ward.

I'd even rank the Klitschkos higher as they have faced more variety and been more dominant.

Ward is fringe top 10 for me

Comment

Working...
                    X