Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you guys really think Pacquaio is better than Pernell Whitaker? last 20 years poll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
    I think this poll neded 2 questions?

1. WHose better p4p whitaker or Manny?
    2. FOr those who picked Manny, do you know who Sweet Pea was and what he accomplished?

I think you'll see about 95%-99% of people who picked Manny the answers for question 2 would be no and No.

SO you can't really blame someone if they are a young slightly post pubescent asain that hasn't been around long enough to know about Sweet Pea.
    Projecting much?

Comment

manny is more popular than pea to casual fans, no doubt.

manny is also better in being universally known.

however, manny has never and will never hope to be 75% of the p4p fighter that pea was. what a silly poll

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Projecting much?
        I forgot about the posters that voted for manny for the lulz.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
          Man some of you guys must just started watching boxing like five years ago....Pernell Whitaker(late 80's mid 90's) and Roy Jones(mid 90's-early 2000s) were undoubtedly the best fighters of their time...

Pacquaio hasnt even shown he is the best fighter of his era, and actually got the title "best fighter p4p" by default just because Mayweather had retired after the Ricky Hatton fight...Mayweather was a top 5 p4p guy for the past 12 years and has beaten more champions is more skillful as well

Im a fan of both fighters but really...for me its Either Pernell Whitaker or Jones who should be considered the best of the past 20 years.....until Manny and Floyd fight each other this era is just 1a and 1b no one proved they are the best yet

if you arent even considered the best of your time how can you be the best of the last 20 years?
          Originally posted by J Dubb II 330 View Post
          Power has nothing to do with being better. Look at Randall Bailey
          Randall Bailey is a great puncher with a weak chin, poor defense, and poor stamina so overall he is not that good. How does that show that power has nothing to do with being better? Are you saying that if Whitaker hit as hard as Hearns it would not have made him a better fighter? Punching power is certainly not the only thing needed to be a great fighter but it is the best single asset a fighter can have. Do you think Joe Louis, Dempsey, Liston, Tyson or Foreman would be all time greats if they were weak punchers?

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
            i thought it was in terms of their body of work and success. yes, rjj and pernell were great talents, but they fall short in resume and other stuffs including popularity.
            So popularity matters in p4p status?? That must be why Pacquiao is so overrated. Thank you for proving that point

Comment

Lol.........................................

Comment

@ the THOUGHT of Manny being GREATER/BETTER than Pea....there's a quite a few dudes who have more rings than Kobe Bryant...but that doesn't mean ALL were greater or better players....just sayin!!

Comment

Should've made this poll public. Bet that 23 would shrink to 8.

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                    @ the THOUGHT of Manny being GREATER/BETTER than Pea....there's a quite a few dudes who have more rings than Kobe Bryant...but that doesn't mean ALL were greater or better players....just sayin!!
                    Basically it's a disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by J Dubb II 330 View Post

But as you see with Floyd and Oscar, they wanted bigger and better fights and when he didnt wanna give those they both dipped on him
                      What big fights did Oscar want while in Top Rank that Arum didn't want to make?

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      In fairness, that poll was just after the Cotto fight.

Pacquaio's overrating was at it's very peak then.
                      I don't even think I saw Whitaker on the poll

Originally posted by EMACULATE View Post
                      Im not one of the guys that just started watching boxing and have loved it since I was knee-high to a cricket.

I just went back to boxing rec and looked at his record. Im less than impressed especially from 1999-2009. I was wondering why the boxing writers put him ahead of Floyd during that period and I cant understand why. I saw the ledbawa victory and was impressed. I saw maybe the first Barrera fight but we must really ask ourselves was Barrera in his prime.
                      Barrera was prime in the first fight. I don't know if boxrec can tell you that. But, he was.

Comment

Working...
                      X