No announcement yet.

Itching When Running...?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itching When Running...?

Sounds ****ing ******ed. Agree'd. But when I run I've started developing itches all over my legs (when I reach 3-4 Miles distance) that is pretty much unbearable to not scratch. It's only recently started happening and it's driving me crazy.. Just posting it here to see if anyones heard of it or experienced it before and what it could be down to?

Thanks.

"A. Don't worry; you aren't alone on this problem. It usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it is inside the skin.

You see, there are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When our bodies are sufficiently fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but, when unfit and inactive, they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person, however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch.
    The problem should go away once you have increased your fitness level."

I recommend wearing compression shorts underneath your regular shorts/pants when you run, that seems to help me. Otherwise you will get used to it and it will go away.

Comment

Another way is to run with a sauna suit on. The increased heat would make circulation more effective and also you burn more calories as a bonus!

Comment

Originally posted by rmz View Post
        "A. Don't worry; you aren't alone on this problem. It usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it is inside the skin.

You see, there are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When our bodies are sufficiently fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but, when unfit and inactive, they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person, however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch.
        The problem should go away once you have increased your fitness level."

I recommend wearing compression shorts underneath your regular shorts/pants when you run, that seems to help me. Otherwise you will get used to it and it will go away.
        ****, I'll take your word on that one .. lmao, Thanks alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post
          Another way is to run with a sauna suit on. The increased heat would make circulation more effective and also you burn more calories as a bonus!
          you don't burn more callories when you run with a sauna suit u burn less callories.
          You would actually burn more callories if you run naked in the cold cause ur body has to burn more callories to keep your body temperature normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Fidayin View Post
            you don't burn more callories when you run with a sauna suit u burn less callories.
            You would actually burn more callories if you run naked in the cold cause ur body has to burn more callories to keep your body temperature normal.
            hmm thats interesting...tell me more about the disadvantages of using a sauna suit?

Comment

Originally posted by King James III View Post
              hmm thats interesting...tell me more about the disadvantages of using a sauna suit?
              When your muscles are being used alot, they heat up, which makes your core temperature hot. In order to cool down, the heart pumps more blood close to your skin where it is colder and can cool off by sweating. That's why your skin turns red and warm if you're working out. (for a white guy that is) The high temperature of your skin makes you sweat. And the sweat then vaporizes so you can cool off. So basicly you're making the air around you warmer.

So sweating helps you cool down but ofcourse it also causes waterloss, which you need to compensate by drinking alot of water.
              I can't see any reason why someone would want to sweat exsessively as you will have to gain all the pounds you lost anyway, in order to stay healthy.

The only positive thing a sauna suit can be used for is weight draining I think, just before your fight.
              Last edited by Hearnsz; 07-14-2008, 09:57 AM.

Comment

i get it on my face sometimes like the areas i've shaved, but it's only after a run

Comment

Originally posted by King James III View Post
                  It just loses you water weight which you put back on when you get a drink afterwards.

Comment

yup, i know the EXACT sensation you are talking about. yeah it does get pretty unbearable haha.

I remember the first time I got it was a couple months ago and i was about to bust my ass from trying to bend down and scratch my feet while still running haha.

but i googled, its apparently normal and the first response was dead on

Comment

Working...
                    X