Officer fatally shoots small dog named 'Killer'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer fatally shoots small dog named 'Killer'

Thursday, June 11, 2009

DANVILLE, Va. — A police officer trying to serve a warrant fatally shot a Dachshund that attacked him.

Danville, Va., police said the shooting of a small breed of dog is unusual but said the options were limited in this particular case.

According to police, an officer attempted to serve two outstanding warrants to a resident in the 100 block of Berman Drive at about 8:30 p.m. Monday. The officer, whom police did not identify, knocked on the door but got no answer. As the officer walked back to his car, a growling dog ran through the yard from behind him.

Police said the officer had only seconds to consider his options, which included running for safety, trying to distract the dog or using pepper spray, a baton or his firearm. As the dog lunged at the officer, the officer drew his weapon and shot the dog once, killing it.

Police said they later learned that the dog lived next door to where the warrant was being served and had displayed aggressive tendencies in the past. The dog also was named "Killer."

Police said officers routinely are confronted by dogs as they approach homes, walk through yards and climb fences, but officers are able to defuse these encounters without using firearms. Police said Danville officers got training in 2006, sponsored by the Danville Humane Society and the American Humane Association, to learn techniques to defuse aggressive behavior in dogs.

Danville police also said department policy permits the shooting of a dog that presents a threat to an officer. Police said an officer is not required to take a bite from any dog, including small breeds, because a bite that breaks the skin can transmit rabies. If a dog cannot be identified, captured and quarantined after the attack, an officer must take a series of rabies vaccine shots to ward off a potentially fatal disease.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch reported today that the slain dog was an 11-year-old miniature Dachshund. Neighbors described him as a sweet, mild-mannered dog.

"He just kind of walked up and down the neighborhood and didn't bother anybody," Jenine Edmunds, who lives on the same cul-de-sac as Killer's owners, told the newspaper. "He was just a little house dog."
    Source

goddmned pigs!

i have a story. one time(no pun intended), when i was 16 or so, a few cops came to my house to arrest my friend. my mom's dog, this small little chihuaha, for some reason lifts its leg and starts pissing on one of the cop's shoes - me, lmao. that **** was funny. even my mom couldn't stop laughing well after the cops left.

Comment

Danville police chief defends fatal shooting of dog by officer

DANVILLE -- Media General News Service

Danville's police chief says one of his officers acted properly by shooting and killing an 11-year-old miniature dachshund that ran at him while growling.

Neighbors said Killer, who died Monday night after being shot once, was a sweet, mild-mannered dog.

"He just kind of walked up and down the neighborhood and didn't bother anybody," said Jenine Edmunds, who lives on the same cul-de-sac as Killer's owners, Tawaiin Harper and his family. "He was just a little house dog."

Killer greeted Harper every time he came home. Whenever a car pulled into the cul-de-sac, Killer barked to let everyone know that someone new was there.

"He was the security guard around here," Harper said.

Police Chief Philip Broadfoot declined to name the officer who shot the dog while serving two outstanding warrants to a neighbor.

As the officer returned to his car, "he was surprised by a growling dog running through the yard directly at him from the rear, leaving him with just seconds to consider his options," according to a news release from Broadfoot.

The options, according to the chief: running to the squad car, distracting the dog or using pepper spray, a baton or firearm.

Broadfoot said the dog lunged at the officer and attacked him.

"Shooting a dog which is actively presenting a threat to an officer is within the department's policy," according to the release.

Harper said he drove home from work to try to comfort his wife and two children after they called to say Killer had been shot to death by the officer.

The officer's supervisor, a lieutenant, "was very, very remorseful," Harper said. "He kept apologizing. And he said, 'I know apologizing can't bring the dog back, but I just don't know what to say.'"

Harper said friends and neighbors have asked whether the family will get another dog.

"You can't replace Killer. He's one of a kind. I'm still trying to soak it in because the dog had been with us so long. He was a family member. They took a family member away."
      http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/new...220804/273394/

Comment

Comment

This part basically summed it up as well as anything:
          The officer's supervisor, a lieutenant, "was very, very remorseful," Harper said. "He kept apologizing. And he said, 'I know apologizing can't bring the dog back, but I just don't know what to say.'"

Comment

That's seriously lame and it's even more sickening that the chief defends an officer for shooting this;

More chance of a rubber stamp killing the officer...

Comment

What happened to all of the cop-huggers on here? Let's hear you guys try to justify this cop's actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Organik View Post
                What happened to all of the cop-huggers on here? Let's hear you guys try to justify this cop's actions.
                You're a ****.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                  You're a ****.
                  Wow is that really the best response you can muster? Don't you have anything reasonable to say?

By the way it's a rhetorical question, as it's plainly obvious that you don't. If you did you wouldn't feel the need to resort to personal attack.
                  Last edited by Drunken Cat; 06-12-2009, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Organik View Post
                    Wow is that really the best response you can muster? Don't you have anything reasonable to say?

By the way it's a rhetorical question, as it's plainly obvious that you don't. If you did you wouldn't feel the need to resort for personal attacks personal attack.
                    Nice self-ownage though Squeal.

Comment

Working...
                    X