Jewish basketball player barred from competing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish basketball player barred from competing

http://www.thejc.com/news/world-news...t-modesty-spat

An Orthodox Jewish basketball player has been forced to drop out of an international competition after officials ruled that she could not wear a T-shirt rather than a vest which would leave her shoulders bare.
    FIBA Europe has acted admirably for the benefit of all women in denying her request for special treatment in order to satisfy an archaic facet of her religion. I strongly support any and all secular organisations that will oppose religious or culturally mandated "modesty" requirements for women, regardless of the culture or the religion.

Religion uses the word "modesty" dishonestly. Modesty in this context could be described as "having or showing regard for the decencies of behavior, speech, dress, etc" as if there is something indecent about a woman's shoulders or legs or hair or face. It's a real stretch to suggest that religious modesty has anything to do with humility or decency.

Religion uses the word "modesty" as a euphemism. When they say "modesty" what they really mean is "shame". Religious dress requirements for women are making the statement - that women should be ashamed of themselves for no other reason than their sex. That their existence itself is shameful. So shameful that she must cover up her shoulders or legs or arms or face or hair or whatever other arbitrarily chosen anatomical feature, lest they offend the delicate sensibilities of the senile old men who make up the rules.

Every decent person, religious or otherwise, should be vehemently opposing the imposition of religious shame rules because the oppression of women is the oppression of our wives, our daughters, our mothers. It is oppression of all of us.

Can she not wear A shirt underneath her jersey vest? College ball players do it all the time. And I agree that she should not get special treatment. You abide by the rules everyone else has to.

Comment

Eventhough shes Jewish the jews must be behind this somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by -The Glove- View Post
        Can she not wear A shirt underneath her jersey vest? College ball players do it all the time. And I agree that she should not get special treatment. You abide by the rules everyone else has to.
        I have no practical objection to her wearing a shirt. I just think that her reason for wanting special treatment is absurd. She can't wear a vest like everyone else because God will get mad if he sees her shoulders?

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
          I have no practical objection to her wearing a shirt. I just think that her reason for wanting special treatment is absurd. She can't wear a vest like everyone else because God will get mad if he sees her shoulders?
          Somebody should let her know there is no GOd

Comment

Shirt or vest, she won't pass the ball regardless.

Comment

the bit** should be in the kitchen,women are killing the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by BoZz View Post
                the bit** should be in the kitchen,women are killing the sport.
                While I personally disagree with this sentiment I find it somewhat baffling that uncovered shoulders make her immodest but competing in an international sporting event does not.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                  I agree she shouldnt be given special treatment if its purely based on her personal religious belief, but with religion for some people being such a huge thing for their families and community, maybe she would get so much ***** for showing her shoulders she made the request?

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                    I agree she shouldnt be given special treatment if its purely based on her personal religious belief, but with religion for some people being such a huge thing for their families and community, maybe she would get so much ***** for showing her shoulders she made the request?
                    She's not playing. The league rightly said "Make your choice, play or pray" which I think is the right decision. I mean covering up your shoulders is a relatively minor religious concession but at the same time it's completely absurd.

Comment

Working...
                    X