No announcement yet.

Ricky Burns Fight May 11th. Who?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Burns Fight May 11th. Who?

Hearn came out & said that he's going to have Ricky fight in Glasgie on May 11th.

With Broner out of the question what are his options for a 'big' fight?

The biggest fight (in terms of the UK boxing public) is against Gavin Rees. But Rees would need a win first - which doesn't give him much time. Saying that, with the right spin I'm sure they could shove Rees straight into the fight.

Apart from that there is no 'big' fight. I doubt if the Vasquez fight will happen & Abril - whilst a highly skilled boxer - is not a 'big' fight.

Murray would also be a bigger fight if he had a win or two under his belt.

@taansend.

I reckon Rees is well out of this one...he took some big punishment against Broner which will take tiime to heal and can't see him being ready for jumping straight back into a world championship fight with the Rickster in Glasgow.

Just wonder whether the 'big fight' might actually be a codeword for a non-title fight with a certain Mr. Scott Harrison?

Commercially, it ticks all the boxes (several times over) and Harrison is available and raring to go...stranger things have happened in boxing and Ricky needs a payday.

Governing bodies also tend to become v. flexible when a nice sanctioning fee is in the offing.

Very much a leftfield theory....but perhaps Burns v Harrison is on the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
      @taansend.

I reckon Rees is well out of this one...he took some big punishment against Broner which will take tiime to heal and can't see him being ready for jumping straight back into a world championship fight with the Rickster in Glasgow.

Just wonder whether the 'big fight' might actually be a codeword for a non-title fight with a certain Mr. Scott Harrison?

Commercially, it ticks all the boxes (several times over) and Harrison is available and raring to go...stranger things have happened in boxing and Ricky needs a payday.

Governing bodies also tend to become v. flexible when a nice sanctioning fee is in the offing.

Very much a leftfield theory....but perhaps Burns v Harrison is on the cards.
      if that fight is made it would be a shock , harrison has far much trouble with the courts , if i had to be pushed for a opponent i would say john murray has a good shout even though it would mean doing business with warren but i remember a interview john did and he said he wanted to jump straight for an eliminator or a title fight so it could come off or maybe hearn will bring a no named opponent with a ranking then him and rees fight in the summer

Comment

The fact that we are mentioning Harrison (and as stupid as it sounds it's not as stupid as it sounds) shows that he doesn't really have a whole lot of 'big' fight options.

I reckon he should go down to Oz & fight Lenny Zappavigna. Won't be a lot of money but a nice holiday. You can't beat Sydney in April...

Comment

@Taansend....if Ricky left it a further 6 weeks later he could land a nice, easy payday and also get to watch the mighty Lions maul the Aussies at rugby. Go British Lions!!

Still think the Harrison fight is not as crazy and Leftfield as it sounds.

Ricky is a nice earner for the WBO and if Harrison goes out again and wins...we could see him jump the queue and get a rating, or the WBO might allow Ricky the time to make some decent money without their belt being on the line.

Comment

The Harrison fight wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

Wasn't that long ago Burns fought a crippled Nicky Cook remember.

I like Burns a lot though, but the options are limited for him.

Comment

The Harrison fight wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

Wasn't that long ago Burns fought a crippled Nicky Cook remember.

I like Burns a lot though, but the options are limited for him.

Comment

Not sure, but the Harrison fight wouldn't surprise me. It would be a big seller in Glasgow.

What about DeMarco, what's he doing?

Comment

Originally posted by TGD View Post
                  Not sure, but the Harrison fight wouldn't surprise me. It would be a big seller in Glasgow.

What about DeMarco, what's he doing?
                  DeMarco would be great. But he hasn't fought since the Broner fight & doesn't have anything lined up.

Reaching further back, how about John Molina?

Comment

It won't be Harrison or Rees.

I'd like it to be Kim.

Comment

Working...
                    X