Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Joe defeats Roy, will the people picking Jones to win give him credit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy is not the fighter he once was, that cannot be denied. While Calzaghe looks as good as he's ever been.

People can take that for whatever its worth. I for one will be watching.

Comment

I love how even within this topic people are saying "Roy is not the fighter he once was" WELL NO ****, but that's beside the point - the point is giving credit to a guy who you are picking to lose if and when he wins. Shell of his former self or not, y’all are picking Roy to win, which means that even if his skills have diminished, you still feel he is a better fighter than Calzaghe, so it’s only fair to be ready to give Joe credit for a victory. It’s that simple.

Comment

If Calzaghe comes up with another dominant performance like he did against Kessler and Lacy, would it be possible for some Jones fans to finally give him a little respect?

I mean the people who are saying "Jones is past his best, but because Calzaghe is a Euro-bum, Roy will still win"

Shouldn't they be good sports and take that back if Joe wins on Saturday?

Comment

i mean really... who has roy beaten in the last 5 years? of course i think roy can win... but its so iffy because hes so past his prime.. its just a matter of how much... the fact that prime for prime... it owuld be 6:1 odds for roy, really shows you how far past it he is... i still hope for the best though

Comment

Lets face facts and be honest here..
            If joe wins no matter in what manor he wins he aint getting no credit for it
            If jones wins no matter in what manor he wins his getting credit for it..

Y'all know this is the way its gonna be after the fight

Comment

Originally posted by skyler View Post
              only way Calzaghe gets full credit is if he beats a young proven fighter like Dawson IMO...
              Proven? Is this a joke? Dawson beats up old man Tarver, and loses to old man Johnson, and you say he's proven? What, just like Kelly Pavlik was proven until facing elite competition, then America ****s on the guy they built up to be so special, just like they did with Jeff Lacy?

That line of thinking is dangerous. You hype up a young unproven fighter, and when he loses, he suddenly becomes a one-dimensional bum who was always over-hyped. Those people are probably making the same mistake with Dawson. Get off the hype train before it crashes AGAIN.

Joe doesn't have to fight Chad. Mr. Dawson, right now, is a nobody who brings nothing to the table for Joe at the end of his career, and if this fight happened it wouldn't even be PPV. Calzaghe doesn't need to fight Dawson at all. Dawson has things left to prove before stepping up to elite competition like Joe Calzaghe.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
              Last edited by S A M U R A I; 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                i mean really... who has roy beaten in the last 5 years? of course i think roy can win... but its so iffy because hes so past his prime.. its just a matter of how much... the fact that prime for prime... it owuld be 6:1 odds for roy, really shows you how far past it he is... i still hope for the best though
                So what you're saying is essentially: "I think Roy will win, but I'll give Joe no credit if he defeats Roy"

That's not fair. If you said "Roy is shot, he's not going to win and I will give Joe no credit if he wins" that would be fair...

But if someone says "Roy is past his best, but he'll still beat that Euro-bum", then they should give Joe some respect if he proves them wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunney View Post
                  So what you're saying is essentially: "I think Roy will win, but I'll give Joe no credit if he defeats Roy"

That's not fair. If you said "Roy is shot, he's not going to win and I will give Joe no credit if he wins" that would be fair...

But if someone says "Roy is past his best, but he'll still beat that Euro-bum", then they should give Joe some respect if he proves them wrong.
                  You just preparing your strategy in advance.

Forget what a few dreamers say.

Any realists who watch closely know that Roy is not the same.

The legs and reflexes are shot. And those qualities are so much of what Roy Jones Jr. is all about.

Your approach on this topic is disingenuous. You know that Joe is not fighting anywhere near a true version of Roy Jones Jr.
                  But you planning to use the wishful thinking of a few fans --- who want in their hearts to see Roy turn back time --- in order to claim against all logic that beating this Roy Jones in some way proves Calslappy could have beat a prime Roy Jones.

The man fighting Calslappy will be plain old Roy Jones Jr. The mortal version. Nowhere near the Superman of his prime years.

You ***** about a few dreamers being 'unfair'.
                  Then you should ignore the inevitable small wave of pre-fight hope and expectation from a few Roy fans who do not want to believe that the Easter Bunny is not real, and admit that beating this Roy will tell us absolutely nothing about Calslappy.

Comment

i think ROY CAN win depending on what he shows up with, but hes half the fighter he once was, so i dont know if he ll win.. and i didnt call anyone a euro bum... thats you

at the end of the day... joe is ending his career on two fighters that are way past their best... whether roy wins or not... hes still far past his best

Comment

Exactly. It’s easy for us to understand, but what do you expect? Roy fans have no use for rationality.

Comment

Working...
                      X