Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Strength & Coditioning Coaches become essential?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Strength & Coditioning Coaches become essential?

Importance of Strength and Coditioning Coaches on a Team seems to be central in most camps...why is this?? Who started this trend...

Freddie Roach before his parkinsons set in big time, had Justin Fortune, who had a minimal role and learned and listened to Roach (he was also a boxer ..so theres that, ignoring the dispute as well) Roach used him more as a tool for stuff he was physically unable to do...now Ariza seems to be Solo in most camps, doing what hewants.

I see the benefits of a dedicated S&C Coach, but the focus has shifted from being a well rounded boxer to friggin S&C.

Probably when boxers startd getting lazy and refusing to do roadwork. Also, probably because many of the new trainers may not know how to get a boxer physically ready for a fight like the old vets who've passed away. So they easily bought into all the strength and conditioning mess.

I'm not sold on them myself. I've seen fighters end up MORE winded in the later rounds because of these so called experts. Donaire gets hooked up to breathing machines like a lab rat and still is winded at the end of his fights. I beieve they're just taking advantage of boxers making them believe they need something they really don't. Placebo effect.

The old ways worked and they shouldn't cast them aside due to "modern science". If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrarijones View Post
      Probably when boxers startd getting lazy and refusing to do roadwork. Also, probably because many of the new trainers may not know how to get a boxer physically ready for a fight like the old vets who've passed away. So they easily bought into all the strength and conditioning mess.

I'm not sold on them myself. I've seen fighters end up MORE winded in the later rounds because of these so called experts. Donaire gets hooked up to breathing machines like a lab rat and still is winded at the end of his fights. I beieve they're just taking advantage of boxers making them believe they need something they really don't. Placebo effect.

The old ways worked and they shouldn't cast them aside due to "modern science". If it ain't broke don't fix it.

true talk, and the old ways prepared fighters to go 15 - 20 rounds.

Comment

When fighters made enough to waste money on useless people in their camps, seriously if your doing what your supposed to as a fighter you should be pretty strong and conditioned come fight night.

Comment

The trainers of old use to do everything, but nowadays things have been split into two due to a number of things like making weight etc, Now we have dieticians in camp, S&C coaches but back in the days boxers use to be more discipline with what they eat and the sort of conditioning work they do, not anymore... This is why new school trainers are bringing in all the help they could get.

Comment

They aren't essential, they are just another improvement.

Fighters that can afford a qualified strength and conditioning coach will get the benefits of them, they will be better athletes. They know the human body and exactly how to make it more explosive, stronger and faster.

Why hire a top boxing coach? To become better as a boxer.
            Why hire a top S&C coach? To become a better athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
              They aren't essential, they are just another improvement.

Fighters that can afford a qualified strength and conditioning coach will get the benefits of them, they will be better athletes. They know the human body and exactly how to make it more explosive, stronger and faster.

Why hire a top boxing coach? To become better as a boxer.
              Why hire a top S&C coach? To become a better athlete.
              But who has really improved via a strength and conditioning coach? Donaire? Still tires out. Pac? Cramping and some stamina issues in a few fights. Marquez? Maybe. Cotto? Still gets tired and is actually a worse fighter now.

If these guys showed massive improvements for fighters I could see their use but as of now their just gouging the pockets of these fighters. You train an ATHLETE different than a FIGHTER anyway. A fighter needs more than just explosiveness from his conditioning routine. And to train them as like any other athlete, say a football player is foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                When fighters made enough to waste money on useless people in their camps, seriously if your doing what your supposed to as a fighter you should be pretty strong and conditioned come fight night.

this... seriously, its called picking up a book.... the key to everything they do is called circuit training.......

but if they feel more comfortable paying someone to just tell them what to do than go for it.....

Comment

When Bernard Hopkins kept winning fights people thought he was to old for!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrarijones View Post
                    But who has really improved via a strength and conditioning coach? Donaire? Still tires out. Pac? Cramping and some stamina issues in a few fights. Marquez? Maybe. Cotto? Still gets tired and is actually a worse fighter now.

If these guys showed massive improvements for fighters I could see their use but as of now their just gouging the pockets of these fighters. You train an ATHLETE different than a FIGHTER anyway. A fighter needs more than just explosiveness from his conditioning routine. And to train them as like any other athlete, say a football player is foolish.
                    They train them nothing like a football player. Football players train max effort days and dynamic days. Max effort for strength, dynamic for speed and explosiveness.

Boxers are trained differently by every different strength coach. Every coach has his own way of training a specific fighter based on their body. Pacquiao ran through the likes of Cotto and built his star power during his run with Ariza, he was regarded by all as a beast.

Trainers know exactly how the body works, how best to train it for each specific sport and how to maximise it's efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                    X