Collapse
No announcement yet.

sparring against noobs who go all out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always just tell the noobs that if you want to box with me I will work with you to help you learn. If you want to fight me than I will fight you back and you will get hurt. Never just be a punching bag for anybody, no matter what your coach tells you............Rockin'

Comment

Before I spar someone who is new to the sport, I let them know that they set the intensity. I usually just say, "hey, we'll go as hard as you want to go."

Its tough when you're just starting out, you want to gain some respect, you want to show off all the cool stuff you and your bro's worked on in the garage... etc etc etc.

I just let them know if I have something I want to work on, or ask if they have something they want to work on.
      if not, I just let them know that they set the intensity. If they're going at me 50% I'll give them 50%.

Comment

i would just move and keep my jab working make him follow you and tire him out which should happen if hes new and then teach him a lesson and just work him when hes tired. I've had this happen before its annoying as hell sparring someone who throws a lot but with no technique or game plan you just kinda gotta keep your guard up block the shots and wait till they get tired.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLaHoya1fan View Post
          was put in the ring against a new kid who had horrible technique. The coach knew I was more experienced and told me to go light on him so I thought I'd just work on my defense. Then every time I landed a cross through his guard this guy would go full ****** and wing haymakers. Afterwards his friend was telling him that he was winning.

How do you deal with over zealous noobs in sparring? should I match his intensity and go in for the kill?
          Your coach has asked you to go light and trusts you not to damage the new kids confidence - so bear that in mind. Also bear in mind that this kid is probably very nervous and as a result has difficulty controlling himself (fight or flight).

Comment

Like others have said, stiff jabs and body shots. Tie him up when he's getting wild here and there also, he'll have no clue what to do.

Comment

You said you wanted to work on defense.. Sounds like this guy gave you a great opportunity to work on defense...

Comment

accidental low blow

Comment

Noobs throwing wild, hard punches are dangerous because they tend to come from weird angles. You have to let them know if they throw hard shots, hard shots will get thrown back. If they still want to get froggy, hop on them.

Comment

Heya, my first post btw

When I started boxing, the first sparring partner I had knocked me over. He was some awful 'experienced' bloke. I couldn't remember getting punched - one second I was standing the next I was on the floor.

Even though I was pretty good at taking punches I was terrible at hitting people as I didn’t want to hurt anyone and didn’t have the confidence. After that one sparring session I started hitting a lot harder than I should have been for light-con sparring. But after that sparring session I had it in my head that if I didn’t hit my opponent hard and keep him on the defensive I'd get hurt again. Which is obviously not the point of light con sparring.

I've been keeping at it for 5 months now and managed to change how I spar. What I noticed the good veteran boxers do is outbox the noobs. They use footwork and get away from every hit and only throw jabs. Once the noob tires himself out by missing all the time, the vets just throw a few (not insanely hard) body shots and hooks and the nooby normally has to stop cause he's exhausted.

A lot of noobs go all out because they are scared about being hit or knocked out. I know that was why I hit really hard in the beginning. If you just keep passive on them, most of them calm down, then you can turn up the heat a little. Some idiots are just looking to hurt people though.

Comment

Ive tried to look at is a great time to work on controlling the pace if you know what I mean and ring generalship. If someone doesn't know what there really looking to do except attack and you can find a way to control them its great work. If there really out of control and being a tough guy the liver is great haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X