No announcement yet.

What makes Shane Mosley a legend?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
    He wasn't a legend in the grand scope of the sport obviously, but in his era, and recent times, certainly can be argued so, the amount of new fans to the sport who come in when a great fighter (small term great) like Mosley is over the hump, and refuse to look into the past and judge from when they entered the sport forward just make me laugh with their ignorance.

Almost every notable fighter who retires, or dies gets called a legend in remembrance, it's a sign of respect and acknowledgement, why is that so hard for other people to respect? Why do people need to try and start an argument over it?
    All things in context. In context, Gatti was a legend to his hometown, so was Ward, Cotto probably is too, as is Hatton, and Pacquiao to his people. Are they legends in the grand scope of boxing, taking into account all the fighers in history? Of course not. Context people, context.
    Ricky Hatton isn't really considered a Legend in the UK.

He's well respected and rightfully so but he's not considered a legend.

Comment

He a legend to me. Just like Roy he fought to long.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
        When I say he's not a legend, I mean, he's not a legend that people makes him out to be. I mean, who named him Sugar? Who...the ****, put Sugar in front of his name? Was that really necessary? I'm actually waiting for an answer. This is not a rhetorical question. I mean, someone had to have started it right? Someone tell me. Who?
        Are you really picking at his nickname? Who does that? How does that relate to his body of work? This is why people won't take you seriously and accuse you of trolling. Please explain to me how "Sugar" relates to anything here?

Not that it really matters, I answered the question well with my second post and people choose to ignore it. Context!

Comment

When I say he's not a legend, I mean, he's not a legend that people makes him out to be. I mean, who named him Sugar? Who...the ****, put Sugar in front of his name? Was that really necessary? I'm actually waiting for an answer. This is not a rhetorical question. I mean, someone had to have started it right? Someone tell me. Who?
          Idk but it sounds cool lol I mean what would you rather it be. ?
          Darth Mosley

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Ricky Hatton isn't really considered a Legend in the UK.

He's well respected and rightfully so but he's not considered a legend.
            Not by the nation maybe, but to his hometown, to his friends, all in context, is my point. Let people say the man is a legend while he retires and let them say it in peace is all I am saying.
            Is he in the grand scheme of the sport? No, but who cares? Does it really need to be pointed out? Or can we celebrate who he was without someone having to nitpick about the politics of labels for greatness for a day?

Comment

He's not a legend, he's a HOF'er.

I think at 135, Shane could be seen as one of the greatest Lightweights, not the greatest, just one of the best at that weight.

And any one who disagrees that Shane would last 12 with any one is lying to themselves. Very few fighters retire without a KO loss. With the fighters Mosley fought, that's even more impressive. Cause you can retire without a loss or without a KO loss, and that would most likely mean you didn't fight any one that could possibly KO you. You can't say that about Shane, he fought plenty of guys who could have stopped him if he was a lesser fighter and wasn't a warrior.

If you don't think Mosley is a legend that's fine, I don't see him as a legend either. But he definitely had legendary balls. And i'll never forget his epic win over Margarito.

Comment

His lightweight run + moving up to defeat the Golden Boy puts him in the Hall of Fame alone. He also, like Oscar, fought jsut about every damn fighter of his era that mattered. Coming out of no nowhere (4-to-1, i think) and destroying Margarito was the icing on the cake. To me, he is a legend.

Like Roy, however, an entire generation of fans will only remember him from faded, way past-prime performances that came up short.

Comment

Easy. I will tell you the same thing I told people that try and make that argument against Barry Bonds.

Roids don't make you skillful or talented, I could take roids for the rest of my life and I will probably never hit a home run, win a world title, or anything of the sort. People put too much stock into PED's like they will actually make you better. You still have to be good at the sport people! Roids only enhance you. Roids didn't make Mosley, Bonds, or anyone. They just give you an edge.
                  Mosley was good at what he did regardless.
                  I get it. But here's the thing. I like to spar here and there. And what I've noticed is that, your performance in the ring relies heavily on your conditioning and stamina. Some say conditioning is 90% of the fight. And I agree with that. Because when I spar, the first round my technique is pretty good. But by the 4th round I get fatigued. By the 6th and 7th round, I'm so tired that I can't even throw my punches correctly. So what I'm saying is, a lot of skills and techniques that you mentioned comes from conditioning. Especially in the later rounds.

Comment

Wait, what? The De la Hoya fights were recent and new? All I'm saying is, his three most defining fights were the 2 Oscar fights and the Margarito fight. The Margarito fight was legit. How can a guy get credit for beating someone on steroids. That's crazy. To me. No, to a normal person, that is weird. That's got to be weird...right?
                    I thought the steroids were in the second fight.

Comment

Are you really picking at his nickname? Who does that? How does that relate to his body of work? This is why people won't take you seriously and accuse you of trolling. Please explain to me how "Sugar" relates to anything here?

Not that it really matters, I answered the question well with my second post and people choose to ignore it. Context!
                      Chill. I was just trying to be funny there. I don't really care about the nickname. It's just people on this forum makes him out to be greater than he really is. Fair?

Comment

Working...
                      X