Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Margaritto ever an Elite level fighter???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxingtech718v2 View Post
    I don't think so but obviously some in NSB think so. I just want to know why? Besides beating Cotto he ain't did **** in my opinion.
    I agree, and kinda disagree with respect, you see Margarito for the longest time wanted to fight guys like De La Hoya and Mayweather, and before you even say he would've lost anyway to one or both, he never got the opportunity. After staying in the ring and holding his own with Paul Williams, who was avoided by almost everybody at welterweight and completely handling Cintron twice, not a lot of people were in a rush to fight this guy. He got his biggest fight vs Cotto, plaster or not, we don't know. He called out De La Hoya after, but Oscar chose to fight Manny Pacquiao (in hindsight Oscar maybe should've fought Margarito instead at 154). Then he went on to lose to a HOF in Shane Mosley...he lost badly, made people scratch their heads, but going back, sometimes it's all about getting the opportunity and for some reason, whether it was his length, his style, the pressure, whatever, he wasn't getting fights at 147, which was his ideal weight in his prime....he was a solid fighter who had some good moments at 147.

BUT, the answer is NO he wasn't an elite level fighter by definition, he just didn't accomplish enough but he had his run, he had a fan friendly style, a no-duck reputation...you can see why he had a good fan base who supported him.

Comment

Being in the top five of a marginal list means what exactly, it wasn't a banner period for 147~

The banner period was the 90's not the 00's~

What welter during that period would be considered amongst the best of all time in that class? none?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
        What has Cotto done in the last couple of fights? He's had 2 tune ups and got his ass whooped by the same guy that whooped Cotto, so please don't give me this shit on how we are making him out to be more when Cotto Stans do it worse.
        tough clottey win..........third division title....................

Comment

He is a good fighter at his best I wouldn't have been mad about him seeing any very good,elite or great guys during that time frame.

Against a quality fighter he may have a shot (mainly if the guy is soft mentally) but he could also lose pretty badly as long as the quality fighter did the proper things.

That is my main issue with him people make him out to be something he isn't~ which is a sure bet to really get after top guys.

Comment

Randall as well.

Your post is spot on too bro. Props!
            Please don't remind me...

On a Side Note: I became the biggest Margo fan I know that night.

Comment

Originally posted by STRUGG View Post
              hes semi elite...........kinda like dela hoya....................
              You are the biggest stupid ass on this forum. Take down that Tyson avatar, you're a god damn clown.

Red K this clown, it's unbelievable that this idiot is green, or is green for anybody?

Comment

tough clottey win..........third division title....................
                A Margarito LEFTOVER and a give me belt. Beating Foreman is like beating Chavez at 160.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                  You are the biggest stupid ass on this forum. Take down that Tyson avatar, you're a god damn clown.

Red K this clown, it's unbelievable that this idiot is green, or is green for anybody?
                  LOL................why you mad?.............is it the margarito or the ***alohoya comment......................

Comment

LOL................why you mad?.............is it the margarito or the ***alohoya comment......................
                    Margarito is a bum but you wouldn't know that cause you don't know a good fighter from your dick.

And Oscar was an elite in every sense of the word but you wouldn't know that either.

Comment

A Margarito LEFTOVER and a give me belt. Beating Foreman is like beating Chavez at 160.
                      clottey was luckily injured against margarito.............

Comment

Working...
                      X