Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should people who voted for George W. Bush be allowed to vote in this election??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FatNJerseykid View Post
    John McCain is not G.W. Bush. It is not going be 4 more years of the worst president in history. I don't know why people are confusing the two, they don't even look alike(joke). People have to compare Obama's record and policy to McCain's record and policy. In my opinion McCain wins both.
    He has turned his back on his policies and flip floped just to get the nomination and that isn't someone I want in the white house representing me.

The election of 2008 is the first in more than half a century in which no incumbent President or Vice-President is on the ballot. There is, however, an incumbent party, and that party has been lucky enough to find itself, apparently against the wishes of its “base,” with a nominee who evidently disliked George W. Bush before it became fashionable to do so. In South Carolina in 2000, Bush crushed John McCain with a sub-rosa primary campaign of such viciousness that McCain lashed out memorably against Bush’s Christian-right allies. So profound was McCain’s anger that in 2004 he flirted with the possibility of joining the Democratic ticket under John Kerry. Bush, who took office as a “compassionate conservative,” governed immediately as a rightist ideologue. During that first term, McCain bolstered his reputation, sometimes deserved, as a “maverick” willing to work with Democrats on such issues as normalizing relations with Vietnam, campaign-finance reform, and immigration reform. He co-sponsored, with John Edwards and Edward Kennedy, a patients’ bill of rights. In 2001 and 2003, he voted against the Bush tax cuts. With John Kerry, he co-sponsored a bill raising auto-fuel efficiency standards and, with Joseph Lieberman, a cap-and-trade regime on carbon emissions. He was one of a minority of Republicans opposed to unlimited drilling for oil and gas off America’s shores.

Since the 2004 election, however, McCain has moved remorselessly rightward in his quest for the Republican nomination. He paid obeisance to Jerry Falwell and preachers of his ilk. He abandoned immigration reform, eventually coming out against his own bill. Most shocking, McCain, who had repeatedly denounced torture under all circumstances, voted in February against a ban on the very techniques of “enhanced interrogation” that he himself once endured in Vietnam—as long as the torturers were civilians employed by the C.I.A.

On almost every issue, McCain and the Democratic Party’s nominee, Barack Obama, speak the generalized language of “reform,” but only Obama has provided a convincing, rational, and fully developed vision. McCain has abandoned his opposition to the Bush-era tax cuts and has taken up the demagogic call—in the midst of recession and Wall Street calamity, with looming crises in Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid—for more tax cuts. Bush’s expire in 2011. If McCain, as he has proposed, cuts taxes for corporations and estates, the benefits once more would go disproportionately to the wealthy.

Comment

i think ud actually be surprised at how many people who voted for bush, are unbelievably pissed off at this administration and are voting for obama..

a guy at my gym was a higher ranking officer in the US military.. voted for bush.. and is now disgusted.. and is voting for obama

so to answer your question... yes they should be allowed to vote

Comment

Originally posted by RunW/Knives View Post
        I do also, but at least they don't propose taking away people's rights.
        O really? weren't you the ***gle who was talking about people shouldn't be allowed to say what they want and some freedom of speech should be limited?

Comment

Originally posted by FatNJerseykid View Post
          John McCain is not G.W. Bush. It is not going be 4 more years of the worst president in history. I don't know why people are confusing the two, they don't even look alike(joke). People have to compare Obama's record and policy to McCain's record and policy. In my opinion McCain wins both.
          Nope.. which is why there voting records are almost identical.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
            Fcking ownage.. lols!

Comment

i think taking away people's rights is one of the 1st steps in making progress. this generation has proved itself too childish to run itself. it started with the baby boomers and they taught their kids how to be even more ungrateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Easy-E View Post
                Yes, assuming they have learned their lesson that the GOP basiclly brainwashed, manipulated and lied to them in every way and have now made a conscientious effort to become a more informed voter.
                But they haven't, Instead they yell things like "terrorist" and "kill him" in reference to Obama at GOP rallies. ****ing idiots!! And you know the funny thing is that I am far from sold on Obama myself. But when McCain selected palin as his running mate I knew he cared more about winning the election than doing what was best for the country. Irony is that his vp pick was likely what killed any chance he had at becoming president ...

Comment

LMAO!!! Are you ****ing kidding me. What do you think Dubya has been doing for the last 7 years? You're smarter than that aren't you knives?

Comment

Originally posted by Two Clips View Post
                    He has turned his back on his policies and flip floped just to get the nomination and that isn't someone I want in the white house representing me.

The election of 2008 is the first in more than half a century in which no incumbent President or Vice-President is on the ballot. There is, however, an incumbent party, and that party has been lucky enough to find itself, apparently against the wishes of its “base,” with a nominee who evidently disliked George W. Bush before it became fashionable to do so. In South Carolina in 2000, Bush crushed John McCain with a sub-rosa primary campaign of such viciousness that McCain lashed out memorably against Bush’s Christian-right allies. So profound was McCain’s anger that in 2004 he flirted with the possibility of joining the Democratic ticket under John Kerry. Bush, who took office as a “compassionate conservative,” governed immediately as a rightist ideologue. During that first term, McCain bolstered his reputation, sometimes deserved, as a “maverick” willing to work with Democrats on such issues as normalizing relations with Vietnam, campaign-finance reform, and immigration reform. He co-sponsored, with John Edwards and Edward Kennedy, a patients’ bill of rights. In 2001 and 2003, he voted against the Bush tax cuts. With John Kerry, he co-sponsored a bill raising auto-fuel efficiency standards and, with Joseph Lieberman, a cap-and-trade regime on carbon emissions. He was one of a minority of Republicans opposed to unlimited drilling for oil and gas off America’s shores.

Since the 2004 election, however, McCain has moved remorselessly rightward in his quest for the Republican nomination. He paid obeisance to Jerry Falwell and preachers of his ilk. He abandoned immigration reform, eventually coming out against his own bill. Most shocking, McCain, who had repeatedly denounced torture under all circumstances, voted in February against a ban on the very techniques of “enhanced interrogation” that he himself once endured in Vietnam—as long as the torturers were civilians employed by the C.I.A.

On almost every issue, McCain and the Democratic Party’s nominee, Barack Obama, speak the generalized language of “reform,” but only Obama has provided a convincing, rational, and fully developed vision. McCain has abandoned his opposition to the Bush-era tax cuts and has taken up the demagogic call—in the midst of recession and Wall Street calamity, with looming crises in Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid—for more tax cuts. Bush’s expire in 2011. If McCain, as he has proposed, cuts taxes for corporations and estates, the benefits once more would go disproportionately to the wealthy.

Good post. And you are correct 2004 McCain >>>>>>> 2008 McCain...

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
                      If you didn't know, the president doesn't vote in Congress. I think you are talking about their polices. But as noted by Two Clips, the two do not share the same views as each other.

To JoartCC, why don't you talk about the issues instead of personal attacks? I'm pretty sure you got good opinions, why don't you show your intelligence?

To Two Clips, well written and good opinion although I disagree with the last two paragraphs. McCain has always been a moderate Republican. The number 1 issue for most evangelicals is abortion in fact Moral Issues has been the number 1 issue for Republicans since Abraham Lincoln with slavery. John McCain is pro-life except for the mother in danger, rape, and incest. Therefore, it is not surprising that he would praise Jerry Falwell for his religious work. By the way, before Jerry Falwell died he met with ****sexual religious leaders in order to establish a dialogue before he died.

McCain is still for immigration reform. He did not change his view but rather chose to address one of the major problems of Illegal Immigration, THE U.S. BORDER. This is the step is important because Illegal immigration amnesty will not work if the Border is not secure. What is the use of Amnesty if more illegal immigrats will enter the country? Once the Border is secure, McCain will push for the bill he wrote

McCain is against torture and still is against torture he did not flip-flop. Here is an artile from Time, a respectable source, about the torture issue: http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...729891,00.html

In my opinion Obama is full of rhetoric, he talks about change but his record doesnt show it. John McCain has the record of working with others, John McCain has a record of going against his own party, John McCain is ready to be President from Day 1. Obama is just Style over Substance.

Comment

Working...
                      X