Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd didnt have an "0", would he still be retiring so much?????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Floyd didnt have an "0", would he still be retiring so much?????

No fighter in history has depended on an undefeated record as a means of marketability and atg recognition (maybe Marciano) than FLoyd Mayweather Jr. For the casual fan he is not exciting and for boxing scholars his resume is less than stellar based on the many elite fighters Floyd didnt fight... Therefore, that "0" is the greatest asset he has, and believe me FLoyd knows it.

His "0" is the main reason of his PPV success... Most people dont buy his fights because of the excitement factor but sadly to merely see him lose... Once his "0" is gone, there goes his gimmick and there goes the PPV sales... Therefore, its just common sense for him to pick and choose who he fights with extreme caution. And when theres a situation where he is backed into a corner with noone to fight except a fighter that may mean a potential defeat,,,its time to take some time off, retire, wait, spend some quality time with loved ones, and write that great novel he never had the time to do....

Dont get me wrong, I think Floyd is an ATG and could have beat all those fighters that people claim he ducked (a younger Mosley, Cotto, Margarito, Williams, maybe even Pac) but, its ironic that his deep desire for protecting that "0" will in the end cost him a more accurate place in the ATG's upper echelons...

Lastly, if Floyd had an early defeat, I honestly think we would see a totally different person and fighter... We would have seen Floyd achieve some serious ****... Its a pity that his greatness would lead to such relative underachievement.

Why does Bill Gates keep making those ****ing computers

Comment

You mean like Hopkins and Roy...oh wait.

Comment

What you said is true, however I ask you this......................If your formula for success is missing a key element (Roger May possibly going to jail), wouldn't you wait til it's resolved??I really don't think Pac would fight without Roach, and he isnt his UNCLE
        Originally posted by MayMafia View Post
        defeat,,,its time to take some time off, retire, wait, spend some quality time with loved ones, and write that great novel he never had the time to do....

Comment

I agree here. He does rely on it and it may or may not be what keeps him out of this huge fights but it's definitely possible. If he already lost I think we would have done seen May-Undefeated Cotto, May-Margarito after Cotto, May-Young Mosley, and May-Pacman.

But theirs nothing we can do about it. Eventually he will lose and we'll see how he reacts. I don't think he is an ATG but is without a doubt in my mind one of the greatest boxers skill wise of all times or maybe even the greatest. This guy is so talented it's just so disappointing he's not as legacy hungry as other great fighters. It'll eventually hurt him in the end but without a doubt he is one of the best fighters of all time even though his under achievement is going to bite him in the ass big time if that 0 ever goes.

Comment

I thought of the same thing..... it appears that he is buying time. When you don't fight by retiring for 2 years then that means you can't possibly lose that "0". At the time he retired, Cotto was a threat and undefeated, Mosley came down to WW, Margo was a threat, Paul Williams was looking good and there were a few others that also had potential.

So for him not to fight this year is not a problem for him as that means he will keep his "0" in 2010.

Eventually, he will retire for real and say, I'm now (3?) years old and want to retire because I don't want to be like some other fighter that doesn't know when to call it quits and stays one too many fights .....

Comment

Working...
            X