Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calzaghe vs. Lacy- Talk about a one sided drubbing. I can think back before this fight in which Lacy's promoter (I think it was) saying all kinds of bad things about Joe. Pretty much thinking that Lacy would just go in and take care of business. Didn't happen that way and Joe took whatever future potential Lacy had right out of him. At the end of the first round Joe tells his corner "He can't hit **** all." After that it was a long night for Lacy.

Duran vs. Moore- Another case of an inexperienced champion getting beat down by a legendary fighter. The fact that Moore won the title in such a short time is one thing. The fact that him or his people or maybe both thought that he would handle Duran is another. Sadly Moore would die in an accident some years later.

Comment

• Ron Lyle and Earnie Shavers. The fight had no sound but it was a great fight. I hope someday somebody uploads a version with sound so I can hear what the announcers were saying.

Comment

• Rios Vs Alvarado~~ barnburner

Comment

• Fernando Vargas vs. Ike Quartey- This was Vargas's last good win against a real opponent. After that with the fights against Trinidad and DLH it was all downhill from there. After the fight he calls out Trinidad telling him he'll show him how a real Mexican represents. This being a jab a DLH for running the last few rounds against Tito. Thing is it was fighting like a Mexican (meaning going toe to toe) that got him beat against Tito.

Sonny Liston vs Cleveland Williams I- Williams showed courage trying to slug it out but it cost him. Sonny battered him and got a 3rd round stoppage. Sonny had a hell of a jab.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danieltapia View Post
            Ron Lyle and Earnie Shavers. The fight had no sound but it was a great fight. I hope someday somebody uploads a version with sound so I can hear what the announcers were saying.
            I used to have a poor quality tape of this match, but it was still obvious that it was one hell of a fight.

Comment

• Danieltapia; Why ruin it!!! Ray.

Comment

• Riddick Bowe vs. Jorge Gonzalez- HBO promoted this fight as Bowe going against a guy who beat him in the amateurs. They showed Gonzalez as a bully who always wore a black hat and taunted opponents while beating them. During the build up both fighters cursed each other out and almost fought each other during a promotional event. In the ring while the ref was giving instructions they had extra security in there. All that build up just to see Bowe beat his ass and knock him out in the 6th. I gotta say Gonzalez had one of the ugliest looking haircuts I've ever seen. Even by 1995 standards.

Lennox Lewis vs. Michael Grant- HBO hyped up Grant so much as the next great American heavyweight. But I knew he would lose. Looking at his fight against Golota before this you could see the guy had flaws. If Golota hadn't been such a headcase he might have won that fight. Lewis knocked him down 3 times in the first and finished him off in the 2nd. I think the only punch Grant landed of note was a right hand at the beginning of the first round. After that it was all Lewis.

Comment

• Mike McCallum vs Donald Curry- Curry was game and landed a few good shots on the Body Snatcher but it wasn't enough. Mike just straight whipped his ass. Checked out some of the highlights of McCallum that the GreatA posted on youtube. That dude was a straight beast. He hit the body, arms, waist, shoulders, face.... everything was a target.

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Rocky Graziano- both fighters were past their prime in this fight but the way Ray fought I don't think anyone could tell. 3rd round KO for Robinson.

Comment

• Bernard Hopkins Vs Keith Holmes. being in the ring with Nard in 99-01 must have been a horrible experience!

Comment

• Ike Ibeabuchi vs David Tua- Damn...what a war. Both fighters dished out and took some bombs in that fight. I thought Tua edged it or I could see it a draw but the judges gave it to Ike. The fans were the winners in that fight.

Ike Ibeabuchi vs Chris Byrd- Byrd was a very elusive heavyweight who threw pitty pat punches and it usually was enough to get him by. Not in this fight though as Ike closed the distance by the 3rd round and KO'd Byrd by the 5th. This fight also showed Larry Merchant's disdain for defensive fighters. He was hating on Chris non stop during the fight about his style and was hating more when Chris was complaining about the ref stopping the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X