Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people see Mayweather as the best at 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question. And Canelo has to beat Trout to deserve Floyd's attention.

Comment

He's not great at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
        Do you have anything to back up that claim, that Mayweather is no.1 based on him being the best in the division? If not, it's an opinion, and i'll respect that.

Weight classes aren't alternate dimensions, but they have much different fighters, excluding the lower divisions like 115 118. Trout is a full fledged JMW, Cotto was a bloated WW. You're trying to tell me Mayweather is the best in the 154 division without beating a single natural 154lber.

Would you call Wlad no.1 at HW if he didn't beat anyone that started at HW, only people moving up from Cruiserweight?
        You talk about Cottos wins at 154. What about Trouts? So were suspoded to believe Trout is the best at 154 because he beat bums like Delvin Rodriguez and LaPorto? Cottos still the best fighter on Trouts resume to this point.

Comment

Any real Floyd fan (myself included) knows that he is not the same fighter at 154. Trout and Canelo could both give Floyd problems, I think Trout more so than Canelo.

Comment

i dont see him as number 1 at 154 personally. there is some big boys and some heavy hitters at 154, and floyd is too small to bang with them. canelo seems to be the least threatening of the 154 champs

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              I think he is #1 at 154.

He was the first to beat Cotto at 154 who was #1 & had a world title
              I think the OP was making the point that Cotto should not have been No.1 and his fight with Trout pretty much confirmed that POV.

Comment

Cotto was the de-facto #1 at 154. Who else has done ANYTHING at that weight? Molina beat Cintron, should have got the nod over Lara, and had a BS DQ against Kirkland.

Who else is worthy of the #1 spot??

Comment

Why does Manny Pacquiao get credit for winning a title at 154 when he fought at a catchweight? See, I can ask questions too.

Comment

I think Mayweather wins a close one over Trout because Trout is not a big puncher and Mayweather is faster and a better boxer. I think Canelo has the right combination of speed, skill, and power to defeat the smaller Mayweather who will be 36 when and if they fight. I agree that both Cotto and Floyd belong at 147. I think Cotto can make 147 and not be drained at all. Cotto likes to eat but you can see the fat on him at 154. Cotto tried to get Margarito to come down to 150 to fight him so Cotto knows he is not a full 154 pounder or why would he ask for 150?

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
                      You talk about Cottos wins at 154. What about Trouts? So were suspoded to believe Trout is the best at 154 because he beat bums like Delvin Rodriguez and LaPorto? Cottos still the best fighter on Trouts resume to this point.
                      I'm not necessarily saying Trout is the best at 154 either. Trout has beat more 154 fighters than Mayweather though. I'm just asking what there is that makes Mayweather the best at 154. That Cotto win certainly isn't it. Head to head, a lot of people see either Trout or Canelo beating Mayweather because they are much bigger.

As for the Pacquiao thing, i'd take issue for that if Pacquiao was seen as no.1 at 154 back then, too. Mayweathers title at 154 is legitimate, no problems with that. Mayweathers ranking as best at 154, is not (for me).

Comment

Working...
                      X