No announcement yet.

Lower Back Pain: Vicious Cycle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Back Pain: Vicious Cycle

Wondering if anyone knows of a legit way to work on your abs while putting the least possible stress on your lower back.
    There seems to be a general consensus that to avoid lower back problems you need to keep your abdominals strong. I'm no expert but it sounds sensible. The problem is whenever I start a routine invariably, within a week or so, I screw up my back. I then can't exercise, tend to put on a few extra pounds, etc. None of which is doing my back any favors. When my back heals (this can take weeks) I start up again, throw my back out again, etc., etc. And so it goes. On and on and on.
    Any ideas or information/knowledge on this would be appreciated.
    Peace.

leg lifts helped me out dramatically. i rolled a 07 scion tc 5 times at 70 mph 2 years ago and twerked my back and left shoulder a lil. leg lifts keep my stomach strong without jerking my back.

Comment

so all ab exercises give you back pain or just some? I have never really had back pain doin crunches and things of that nature, sometimes exercises like leg raises and things can. Easy fix for that is to slightly lift you head while doing the exercises.

Another thought might be to try doing ab exercises on a swiss ball. Or try strenthen your core doing static exercises like plank and holding your legs out in front a few inches off the floor. These exercises will give you a good base from which you can move onto other ones.

Hope this helps

Comment

You might want to work on your lower back strength. Just working on the abdominals can cause a muscle imbalance in your core.

I found some stretching helped when I had a problem with my sciatic nerve.

For me twisting my lower back while laying on the ground by turning your head one way and pulling the knee the other way towards the ground was a good one. also pulling the knees to the chest.

Comment

I would also get checked for any spinal disorders. I ran 3-5 times a week (5 miles) to the point where it get too painful to continue. Even situps triggered muscles spasms. Found out i had spinal generative disorder. Lots of people get it. Ended certain work-outs and running.

I was making it worse by running...grinding the spinal discs together until it was too painful to continue. I'm interested in that "bar contraption" you put in a doorway and pull your legs up at an angle. I tried something like it and i could feel my abdominal muscles working hard. Would like to hear if anybody bought and use this thing, if it really works.
          Last edited by jazluvr; 10-11-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

It seems simplistic and a bit effeminate but I suggest trying a couple of yoga classes. I'm not bullishing.

Comment

Appreciate everyone who replied. All good information. Going to take everyone's advice and see what works best for my situation. Will keep you posted.
              Thanks again.
              And peace.

Comment

Honestly i think you should work on getting your lower back stronger and you whole core as well.

I don't know if you lift weights at all but starting doing dead lifts did wonders for me, i used to have a problem with my lower back, it just used to "block" sometimes. When that happened i had trouble bending over and moving my upper body.

Started dead lifting and working on my core like 4-5 years ago and it has not happened since then.

Comment

Working...
                X