No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — That’s (Not) Entertainment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — That’s (Not) Entertainment

by David P. Greisman - Entertainment is a matter of taste. I learned as much in my years managing a music store, where some customers would buy albums that you couldn’t pay me to listen to — even though that was part of my job description.

Sports is a form of entertainment. Some baseball fans like pitching duels; others prefer power-hitting exhibitions.

The same goes for boxing. Yet while tastes vary, they need not be exclusive. We can be awestruck by slugfests — there’s a reason why the trilogy between Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward is being featured later this month on a special episode of HBO’s “Legendary Nights.” We can also appreciate the skilled clinicians who prefer to follow the maxim of hitting and not getting hit. Those who prefer boxing to brawling do have an uphill battle, though. This is a savage enterprise, and we are a bloodthirsty people.

I’m captivated by brutality and brilliance, by wars like the first fight between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo, and by performances like Bernard Hopkins dissecting Felix Trinidad.

I’m not at all entertained by ugliness. I have tremendous respect for Wladimir Klitschko, for the way he rebuilt his career, for the way he regained his confidence, and for his reign as heavyweight champion. But I cannot respect the way he defeated Alexander Povetkin this past Saturday. [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    by David P. Greisman - Entertainment is a matter of taste. I learned as much in my years managing a music store, where some customers would buy albums that you couldn’t pay me to listen to — even though that was part of my job description.

Sports is a form of entertainment. Some baseball fans like pitching duels; others prefer power-hitting exhibitions.

The same goes for boxing. Yet while tastes vary, they need not be exclusive. We can be awestruck by slugfests — there’s a reason why the trilogy between Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward is being featured later this month on a special episode of HBO’s “Legendary Nights.” We can also appreciate the skilled clinicians who prefer to follow the maxim of hitting and not getting hit. Those who prefer boxing to brawling do have an uphill battle, though. This is a savage enterprise, and we are a bloodthirsty people.

I’m captivated by brutality and brilliance, by wars like the first fight between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo, and by performances like Bernard Hopkins dissecting Felix Trinidad.

I’m not at all entertained by ugliness. I have tremendous respect for Wladimir Klitschko, for the way he rebuilt his career, for the way he regained his confidence, and for his reign as heavyweight champion. But I cannot respect the way he defeated Alexander Povetkin this past Saturday. [Click Here To Read More]
    This is what I hate. People who dont know boxing. Every tactical boxer is NOT the same. Bhop, Mayweather, Ward, Rigo fight NOTHING alike. But when you write articles saying that they do, it brainwashers fans into treating them the same. Bhop spoils, and throws one punch at a time. Ward fights nothing like that.

Ward makes the crowd go wild in ALL of his fights. He's very aggressive, violent, throws combinations, commits, gets dirty, and looks to really batter the crap out of his opponents. But the fans are brain washed into labeling him a Bhop type of fighter.

Rigo ran and potshotted and threw one punch a round against Nonito. But it should be noted, that this was the FIRST time we seen THIS version of Rigo. ALL of his fights, he stands in the pocket and walks his man down. Nonito was too big, so he had to move.

The version of Mayweather that fought Ghost was BOOORRRIING. His offense was one dimensional throwing only right hands. His speed was unimpressive and limited him to getting away with throwing one or two shots a round. They BOOED that fight.

But what made Floyd famous was NOT his villian role. The version of Floyd who fought JMM was incredibly athletic, and has a Roy Jones appeal. The crowd LOVED that fight, and went "Ooohh and Aahh" everytime he did a fancy defensive move.

The Floyd who fought Ortiz walked his man down. But the Floyd who fought Canelo was a combination of BOTH these Mayweathers. He had the athleticism that he had in the JMM fight. But he also walked his man down and stood in the pocket for 12 rounds. He threw combinations and the crowd SCREAMED throughout the entire fight. That was THE greatest Mayweather performance.

When you write these articles all your doing is helping brainwash the fans further more. Every tactical fighter is not the same. Every version of Mayweather is not the same. Ward is the most exciting of them all. But fans try to put him in that box with Bhop just because he's tactical. I think you need to take a little time to learn about this boxing game.

And that Wlad fight was TERRIBLE!!

Comment

It's not entertainment, worse than that, it wasn't even boxing.

Also, Pabon is consistent in the way he refs. He splits the fighters up every time they get close. He does not allow in-fighting.
      Last edited by Weebler I; 10-07-2013, 02:19 AM.

Comment

daggum got a mention for his CumpuClinch stats.
        Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 10-07-2013, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Good read mr greisman, enjoyed every sentence.
          Wlads clinching was ridiculous he should be hated n bam bam rios should be praised

Comment

Klichko should be ashamed. That was disgusting.

Comment

[QUOTE=MurkaMan;13818160]This is what I hate. People who dont know boxing. Every tactical boxer is NOT the same. Bhop, Mayweather, Ward, Rigo fight NOTHING alike. But when you write articles saying that they do, it brainwashers fans into treating them the same. Bhop spoils, and throws one punch at a time. Ward fights nothing like that.

Ward makes the crowd go wild in ALL of his fights. He's very aggressive, violent, throws combinations, commits, gets dirty, and looks to really batter the crap out of his opponents. But the fans are brain washed into labeling him a Bhop type of fighter.

Rigo ran and potshotted and threw one punch a round against Nonito. But it should be noted, that this was the FIRST time we seen THIS version of Rigo. ALL of his fights, he stands in the pocket and walks his man down. Nonito was too big, so he had to move.

The version of Mayweather that fought Ghost was BOOORRRIING. His offense was one dimensional throwing only right hands. His speed was unimpressive and limited him to getting away with throwing one or two shots a round. They BOOED that fight.

But what made Floyd famous was NOT his villian role. The version of Floyd who fought JMM was incredibly athletic, and has a Roy Jones appeal. The crowd LOVED that fight, and went "Ooohh and Aahh" everytime he did a fancy defensive move.

The Floyd who fought Ortiz walked his man down. But the Floyd who fought Canelo was a combination of BOTH these Mayweathers. He had the athleticism that he had in the JMM fight. But he also walked his man down and stood in the pocket for 12 rounds. He threw combinations and the crowd SCREAMED throughout the entire fight. That was THE greatest Mayweather performance.

When you write these articles all your doing is helping brainwash the fans further more. Every tactical fighter is not the same. Every version of Mayweather is not the same. Ward is the most exciting of them all. But fans try to put him in that box with Bhop just because he's tactical. I think you need to take a little time to learn about this boxing game.

And that Wlad fight
              pass me whatever the hell your smoking if you think floyds greatest win was JMM

Comment

Originally posted by Regeza View Post
                Klichko should be ashamed. That was disgusting.
                Yea he should my 80 yr old grandpa whos been watching boxing since a teen called it ugliest fight hes ever watched

Comment

[QUOTE=BoxingFreak32;13818227]
                  Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                  This is what I hate. People who dont know boxing. Every tactical boxer is NOT the same. Bhop, Mayweather, Ward, Rigo fight NOTHING alike. But when you write articles saying that they do, it brainwashers fans into treating them the same. Bhop spoils, and throws one punch at a time. Ward fights nothing like that.

And that Wlad fight
                  pass me whatever the hell your smoking if you think floyds greatest win was JMM
                  It is one of his greatest wins. Did you see what he did in their? But that wasnt my point. That was one of his greatest PERFORMANCES. And the crowd LOVED it. No booing. No potshotting and running off. It was pure Roy Jonesesque athleticism. This is the Mayweather people pay to see. The historic defense that make people feel like their witnessing something special by tuning in, the athleticism, the catlike reflexes. We didnt get this version of Mayweather when he fought Ghost.

But I wish you would have commented on all of the points I made. Boxing fans have a habit of placing every tactical style/fighter in the same box. None of these fighters fight anything alike. And to me, in order to be exciting all you have to do is be aggressive, throw some combinations, have a killer instinct. Some of these fighters have defense, but are also able to do those exciting things as well.

Comment

Muhamed Ali, in his later fights, would also grab his opponents and lay on them whenever they they got past his jab. The difference between he and Klitschko is that Ali would go all out for the KO finish whenever the chance arose, and was willing to take risks to get it. He had faith in his chin and ability to take a punch, and Wlad doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X