Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

..The Good, The Bad, The Ugly Series [1]: 'Sugar' Ray Robinson...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..The Good, The Bad, The Ugly Series [1]: 'Sugar' Ray Robinson...

This is a new series I think I'll start on the forum. I'll post one fighter each week and we'll discuss said fighter.

The first fighter is 'Sugar' Ray Robinson.

The way this works is you mention the good, bad and ugly about their careers. The runs/streaks in their careers, the fights, the aspects to their skills and fights. All of that applies. Even things outside of the ring can apply if it's important to you.

I'll start us off.

THE GOOD:
    Obviously, the list of positives is nearly endless. One of the most revered boxers of all time. Technical, but could be a brawler. Fast. Powerful. Moved up the weight divisions and did pretty well for himself. Had an incredible streak of being undefeated and then a few streaks after that. I could go on and on.

THE BAD:
    Like many fighters, especially black fighters, he was forced to fight on longer than he should have. Due to the fact that it's so prevalent, it doesn't take away too much. You'd just hope that one of the greatest to ever do this, potentially the greatest, would have been the exception. It also sucks that he wasn't able to last in the Light Heavyweight championship bout.

THE UGLY:
    His bad business dealings. Part of the reason he continued to fight on when he shouldn't have, was because he had to. And he had to, in part, due to the fact that he had quite a few failed businesses. It's unfortunate, because he was trying to set up his future. It happens.

So, that's how it is.

You can list things unique to yourself and so on and so forth.

So, break down the fighter few other fighters could. Lol.

The Good: The man was a throwback personified; he could switch styles of fighting at on a whim at any moment and was versatile throughout. Another great attribute he wasn’t intimidated by the infamous “Mr. Grey” who was a mobbed up boxing insider who paid fighters to throw fights. In fact, to an extent he wasn’t fazed by the mob at all and fought his way to the top despite corruption/politics something not many fighters couldn’t do at that time. I don’t even need to talk about his classic fights they are pretty self evident.

The Bad: It’s said that a lot of his best fights in his early years were never documented on film so who knows how much greater he could have been in seeing with our own eyes his versatility/ fighting ability. Another bad attribute he like so many fighters surrounded himself with people that were just hang-arounds with their hands out. He thought everyone was his friend only to screw him in the end.

The Ugly: You pretty much covered all bases with your post on it.

Comment

The good His ability to match up against any style, along with his tremendous footwork, speed, power and general boxing skills.

The bad His tendancy to pull out of fights at the last minute, his opponents could have been counting on thos pay days.

The ugly Hitting his wife, often overlooked, a lot more common and accepted then, but hitting women is disgusting, whether you're SRR or anyone else.

Comment

Working...
      X