Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Juan Manuel Marquez retires this year, how will you remember him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's an ATG and HOF in my book, that was robbed of a lot of decisions, and deserved at the very least one win over Pacquiao. Sort of similar to how Pernell Whitaker was viewed, a great fighter who was robbed in questionable decisions a lot, only Pernell is still better than Marquez of course.

Norwood, John, Pacquiao I-II-III, all decisions that were questionable. The only time Marquez was convincingly beat was against Mayweather. I thought Marquez won the Norwood and John fights, as well as the second Pacquiao fight. I thought Pac won the first fight and the third fight could have gone either way.

Comment

Marquez will always be tied in with Pac.

Comment

if all you remember AND KNOW of him are the fights with pac, then how can you call him an ATG? that's weak and a disservice to JMM.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
          maybe he got better at an advanced age (in boxing at least) bcoz he was well preserved compared to marco and erik who were busy carving up their respective legacies at the time JMM was fighting obscure contenders top rank was feeding him...

it was only after the 1st pacquiao fight that he gained recognition after which he came back fighting lower tier foes again like salido and polo...

so when marco and erik were declining, JMM was well preserved as he took on pacquiao the 2nd time and then had his excellent campaign @ 135...

as for his fights with MP, what can u expect when you have a big styles advantage over your foe? you will really look terrific against that foe more often than not IMO... jones-toney, pacquiao-barrera, norton-ali...
          You make it sound as if it's that easy, style vs style. No matter what so called style advantage you may have over and opponent, you still have to execute. Pac is an absolute freak of nature and is one of the best fighters we have ever seen, let's not make that mistake.

JMM hung in there with him even though he had no physical advantages over him and that's not easy. Don't take credit away from what JMM accomplished, style advantage or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
            Personally I will remember him as Manny Pacquiaos daddy,
            He beat Manny three times,
            the last fight being the most obvious but he was robbed.

I will also remember him as being a true warrior outside and inside the ring,
            He feared nobody and fought allcomers.
            JCC Sr. Finito. JMM.

Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
              if all you remember AND KNOW of him are the fights with pac, then how can you call him an ATG? that's weak and a disservice to JMM.
              if you believe pac is a hof than what does it make the guy who beat him 3 times. jmm the best of the 4 fighters pac/morales/mab/jmm. best combination puncher ive ever seen. amazing heart and grit.

Comment

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
                if you believe pac is a hof than what does it make the guy who beat him 3 times. jmm the best of the 4 fighters pac/morales/mab/jmm. best combination puncher ive ever seen. amazing heart and grit.
                err... you missed the point?

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
                  The only people that just know about his Pacquiao fights are people that haven't been following the sport all that long.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                    A truly great fighter that had a something only the ATG's have,

That extra gear that elevated him above 99% of the competition

I will remember him as a warrior and technician.

cosign
                    he's a technician and a warrior

Comment

As an incredible fighter, who is without a doubt one of the greatest fighters of his era. Technically superb, and not afraid to go toe to toe.

JMM is one of my all time favourites.

Comment

Working...
                      X