No announcement yet.

Score cards:Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier 1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
    First of all, if you are going to score a fight, you have to score it with the same scoring system that was used at that time. If you don't a lot of fights would come out differently.

In case anyone wants to know the official scorecards for the first Ali vs. Frazier fight "The fight of the Century" read like this:

Arthur Mercante (referee) Frazier 8 rounds, Ali 6 rounds, 1 even
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    A A F F F A A F F A F E F A F

Arthur Aidala Frazier 9 rounds, Ali 6 rounds
    A A F F F F F F A A F F A A F

Bill Recht Frazier 11 rounds, Ali 4 rounds
    F A F F A F F F A F F F F A F

The Officials only scored 7 rounds all the same (5-2 Frazier), so in 8 rounds at least 1 of them had it the other way or even, and that is why people have a big difference in scoring this fight. If you score it as to who won the most rounds by most of the judges, it comes out to 9-6 for Frazier, But it could be the other way around as well.

1. - 2-1 Ali
    2. - 3-0 Ali
    3. - 3-0 Joe
    4. - 3-0 Joe
    5. - 2-1 Joe
    6. - 2-1 Joe
    7. - 2-1 Joe
    8. - 3-0 Joe
    9. - 2-1 Ali
    10 - 2-1 Ali
    11 - 3-0 Joe
    12 - 2-0-1 Joe
    13 - 2-1 Ali
    14 - 3-0 Ali
    15 - 3-0 Joe

Lord! Arthur Mercante and Arthur Aidala scored round 5 for Frazier!!! Unbelievable.......what were they watching???!

I've just watched round 5 again now to make sure I wasn't deluding myself. Frazier spent more time taunting Ali than actually throwing punches.

Comment

Score the fight for yourself:

http://sosoboxing.com/boxing-video-w...uhammad-ali-i/

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        I'd say I've watched it close to a thousand times.

You just cant get bored watching it can you? Awesome fight.

Do you watch both versions? I personally prefer the NBC broadcast, the colour looks better and you seem more immersed in the action.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I've no idea how you managed to score round 5 for Frazier, it was one of the most decisive in the fight. As BoxingBuff rightly said on page 1 of this thread, 'Frazier gave the round away'.
          rewatched rd 5 ali really didnt do much just onn his bicycle i gave it to frazier for aggression

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            I had Fraizer winning convincingly.

And I'll tell you I have never been so happy than when those scorecards were read out.
            Same here brother, Preach.

Comment

I just watched "Thrilla in Manilla" it was very good documentary better then "Fight of the Century". I'll have to score the fight but i think most all had Fraizer winning.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
                8-6-1 Frazier

He won pretty convincingly
                I have to agree with this. Ali didn't win. It's kind of like those guys that say Leonard won the first fight against Duran. It was a good battle throughout but only one guy was an obvious winner and the right guy won each time.

Frazier won the fight quite clearly, if in a reasonably close fashion. I always have it about 9-6 Frazier. No matter how many times I've watched it, Ali loses it every time. Even when I try to give him close rounds, he still loses too many because despite his good boxing in some rounds, he just gets hit with too many hard punches. A lot of the rounds he won, apart from the clear ones, you could argue were Frazier's due to the harder punches landed.

The rounds often given to Ali, especially by those that say he won, were close and could, possibly should, have gone to Frazier.

Round 1: very close
                Round 3: very close
                Both of those rounds are often given to Ali. Both very close.
                Round 10: I think it's a Frazier round. He won the first and last minute and landed the harder punches and some vicious body shots throughout (about five or six very good body shots in the first minute).
                Round 12: Sometimes people bizarrely give this to Ali. Frazier wins it in the first minute clearly, hurting Ali and dominating it.
                Round 13: usually given to Ali by those that say he won. It's close, but Frazier is more consistent, lands the harder punches and a lot of body shots. I think a lot of the guys that talk about Ali outboxing Frazier and landing more jabs dismiss the short punches and body shots that Frazier lands in rounds like that.
                Round 14: good round for Ali.
                Last edited by BennyST; 11-05-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                  rewatched rd 5 ali really didnt do much just onn his bicycle i gave it to frazier for aggression
                  But what about the combinations Ali connected with? Frazier spent the round coming forward but he didn't throw much at all.....and when he did start taunting Ali, he received a face full of leather.

Oh well, the ref and one judge saw it your way.............what would I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    But what about the combinations Ali connected with? Frazier spent the round coming forward but he didn't throw much at all.....and when he did start taunting Ali, he received a face full of leather.

Oh well, the ref and one judge saw it your way.............what would I know?
                    i watched it again lol. i can see you giving it to ali but nobody really did anything to tip the balance so i give it joe on aggression.

Comment

Hey fellas its a Joe Frazier appreciation thread in NSB and I would greatly appreciate it if you guys stopped by.

Comment

Working...
                      X