Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgil Hunter hype

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found Virgil to be a very sharp guy... Sometimes having a keen eye for things other than just actual boxing technique can be very helpful to ur fighter. There was an instance when something came up surrounding the last fight and Virgil proved to be VERY wise... I respect him

Comment

You've got to remember being taught the technical skills is only half the job. The other half is about how you communicate with your fighter and getting them mentally ready for the fight. You don't need to have boxed to achieve that. Most boxers at this level have already established their style, they already know how to fight and they already know what to expect in the ring. It's very rare that you can change a fighters style or habits when they are this far gone, which is why i don't think Khan will improve that much under Hunter, but you get my point that it's as much to do with a fighters mental state as it is the physical.

Comment

It makes sense to me that someone who has NOT boxed would make for a better trainer. They would teach you "by the book" so so speak, as opposed to a former fighter whose training technique would most likely be based off of what worked for them as a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          Man you couldn't be more wrong. Let me just say that the trainer I work for/with, knows Virgil Hunter very well and he tells me he's an excellent trainer.

Also, you don't necessarily have had to do something to be a good trainer in that same sport. Joe Goosen never boxed, Nacho Berenstein didn't either, both are GREAT trainers.

Being a great trainer is about understanding the sport, and then more importantly relaying the info in a way that the pupil will understand. Just because Michael Jordan and Larry Bird were great players, it didn't mean they would make great coaches. On the contrary, they were terrible coaches.
          Actually, it seems that the better someone was at their sport, the worse they usually are at coaching or training. Great players or fighters typically don't understand the limitations of others, and how to teach around them. Larry Bird is one of the few exceptions to that rule, who was a great, great player and also became a very good coach and personnel guy.

Comment

Working...
          X