No announcement yet.

4 Point Scoring Criteria

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
    what happens if neither guy does any damage?
    Even round or a close round that both guy thinks they won, but one guy will get.

Originally posted by Bhopreign View Post
    I agree mostly with this, but the criteria is clean punching, not clean effective punching, I hate hearing Merchant always get it wrong. Also disagree about what Kellerman says about who would you rather be, that is no indication of who won the round.
    I like what Kellerman says, because it also factors in things like power and chin. If both land 4 clean right hands, but one has power and a chin, and the other is a fairly weak puncher with not a lot of beard, then the guy who has the power and the chin probably gets it.

It's basically damage done, and that factors in power and ability to take a punch.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
      Even round or a close round that both guy thinks they won, but one guy will get.
      judges can't score even rounds or close rounds?

giving the round to the busier fighter is just as good as giving the round to the fighter w/ the better defense

Comment

The winner of the round is the one that did the most damage. Nothing else.

Comment

judges can't score even rounds or close rounds?

giving the round to the busier fighter is just as good as giving the round to the fighter w/ the better defense
          You have to find some difference in damage somewhere no matter how small or else it is an even round is what I was trying to say. If you can make the case that one did more damage to the other, they get the round. If not... 10-10.

Comment

They are just guidlines in that the guy who exhibits these is usually the man that wins the rounds. Thats why they always add the caviat (porbably spelled that wrong but who cares) "with an emphasis on clean effective punching".

Its not figure skating where they are necessarily looking for these elements, just that the guy who exhibits these elements is usually the guy who wins the rounds.

Comment

what happens if neither guy does any damage?
              you cant be in a boxing match and have no damage whatsoever done to you. even Holyfield vs Valuev had damage done in it. Holyfield landed 1 punch, Valuev lands 0. Holyfield wins the round, because 1 punch does more damage than nothing.

Comment

I dont agree with the damage element of it, boxing is a sport not gladiator vs. gladiator fight to the death. If it was all about damage you really wouldnt need a scoring system, its about scoring punches. One fighter cant help if he isnt as strong as his opponent, but he can make up for that in skill, by perfecting the sweet science.

Comment

Originally posted by DarchinyFAN View Post
                  They are just guidlines in that the guy who exhibits these is usually the man that wins the rounds. Thats why they always add the caviat (porbably spelled that wrong but who cares) "with an emphasis on clean effective punching".

Its not figure skating where they are necessarily looking for these elements, just that the guy who exhibits these elements is usually the guy who wins the rounds.
                  Caveat

Good breakdown. I like this post a lot. I'll see if I can give you green K for it.

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                  you cant be in a boxing match and have no damage whatsoever done to you. even Holyfield vs Valuev had damage done in it. Holyfield landed 1 punch, Valuev lands 0. Holyfield wins the round, because 1 punch does more damage than nothing.
                  One fighter in the history of championship fights has gone an entire round without landing a punch, and it was only one round. In addition, it was a guy who started as a lightweight fighting the second coming of Robinson at 168.

Not a big risk of a 0-0 round anytime soon.

I dont agree with the damage element of it, boxing is a sport not gladiator vs. gladiator fight to the death. If it was all about damage you really wouldnt need a scoring system, its about scoring punches. One fighter cant help if he isnt as strong as his opponent, but he can make up for that in skill, by perfecting the sweet science.
                  This mentality is what has ruined Olympic boxing, and why it sucks watching punches scored.

A Cory Spinks jab does not get the same credence as a Kirkland right hand... sorry, that 1-1 punch count goes Kirkland's way 100% of the time.

You could also say that you can't help that one fighter isn't as fast as his opponent so it should be punches landed in relation to their quickness on a percentage scale, but that makes no sense.

It really is a gladiator sport, with rules. The guy who hurts the other guy more than his opponent did should probably win the round.

Comment

not true at all. some punches do more damage than other ones, so its not just about the number of punches land.

defense still plays a huge role. because if the defensive fighter can minimize the damage done to them, they can still be able to do more damage to their opponent, even if they aren't big hitters.
                    that, and having a good defense helps you out a lot offensively, because your opponent will be more open to getting hit if hes off balance or his shot was deflected, and theyll be more tired after their punches are pushed aside, and punches do more damage to a tired fighter than to a fresh one.

Comment

You are the most pretentious bum I have ever seen on any message board.

Comment

Working...
                      X